home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bar in Slint video?????

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Bar in Slint video?????

Postby cursedby11 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:22 pm

At 4:41 in the Slint video for, "good morning captain," they show a picture of leader bar in Chicago where I happened to work recently. Anyone know the significance in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96MxID3GK4c https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96MxID3GK4c
cursedby11
johnny moss
johnny moss

Re: Bar in Slint video?????

Postby bill bixby on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Leader Liquors was a Dive Bar on Irving and Sacramento in Chicago... FM Steve's old home studio was a few blocks away, so maybe this was some kind of watering hole for bands working in his basement? (Someone here probably has more definitive info... )
bill bixby
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby AdamN on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:51 pm

I remember it being mentioned in the Breadcrumb Trail documentary as a place where Britt and Corey Rusk would hang out and have long conversations.
AdamN
boris badenov
boris badenov

Postby cjh on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 am

bill bixby wrote:so maybe this was some kind of watering hole for bands working in his basement?

Indeed. There's further detail on Leader Liquors from FM Steve in this post .

rapeman wrote:I gotta thank you Carl, you really made my night.

If it starts at the Leaders, it ends up wrong.

Gotta thank you Carl, even though you're queer
She's a married gal.
When you set me, set me up ya, really made my night.

When it starts at the Leaders it ends up wrong.
(repeat as and where necessary)

Song is about the neighborhood old man bar called Leader Liquors near my old house, and Carl, the grumpy bartender. There's one like it in every neighborhood, or their used to be. I saw a lot of amazing stuff happen there. I saw a dwarf pull a pistol on a lady who wouldn't dance with him. Major makeouts happened in the corner booths there between the strangest looking couples imaginable. There was a broken-down pickup truck out back that was used as a secondary urinal in the summer. A dead homeless guy was found in the truck one morning apparently, but the truck stayed.

The Leader (usually made plural possessive as "Your Leaders'" as is the Chicago idiom) was where I took any visiting dignitaries for a taste of the local color, but after several chaotic episodes, it became a rule of thumb that it was okay to finish your evening at the Leader, but if an evening started there, it would end-up wrong.

Last edited by cjh on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjh
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Redline on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am

Leader Liquors was a great place, it reminded me of a regular corner bar in Milwaukee or Cudahy. I was only there a few times. But those were some good times.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby cursedby11 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 am

I worked there recently as 2 years ago. It's called Leader bar now. It used to be owned by the mob and they found a corpse in the dumpster maybe 30 years ago. Ahhh they used to frequent that spot then. Ok. Watched that music video for the first time and thought, hey, i used to work there, wtf?!?!
cursedby11
johnny moss
johnny moss

Return to General Discussion