home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The "Where Do I Stay/What Do I Do" Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The "Where Do I Stay/What Do I Do" Thread

Postby Major on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:38 pm

Maybe something like this exists, but I have no idea how to Kerble for it. The idea is a travel advice thread, but for destinations maybe "less visited" than others.

I'll start with Dayton, OH. Going to be there for 3 days for work, but I have one free afternoon and all nights free. First thought was "stay downtown" and the 2nd thought was "go check out the Brainiac museum". Since the museum doesn't exist, I guess I just need a recommendation for an area with a decent hotel and places to eat/drink. Work's footing the bill, so no real budget. Huge plus if I can avoid being murdered.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: The "Where Do I Stay/What Do I Do" Thread

Postby djimbe on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:01 pm

if you are at all interested in aircraft, go here:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

I know nothing else about Dayton...
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby chris jury on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Long story, but my wife and I bought a place in Dayton, and will retire there in a few years.

The air force museum is amazing. and will eat up as much time as you care to throw at it. Also it is free.

For 'nightlife' the oregon district, downtown is pretty great. A lot of the clubs do a shared door, at least on the weekends- so one cover will let you move around to different shows, etc. Omega is a pretty good record store, right down there.

Miamisburg (a southern suburb) has a quaint little downtown with a 'Burger wagon' and what are supposed to be the best burgers in the state.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Get some pretzels at Smales. (link)

Hasty Tasty Pancake House is cool.

Glen Helen Nature Preserve in nearby Yellow Springs is also nice, though perhaps quite chilly right about now.
Teacher's Pet
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Bill Flaig on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:18 pm

Glen Helen is way cool. Thumbs up to that, and the National Museum of the Air Force. Every kind of airplane, from the beginning of flight until now. Really weird standing next to the plane that dropped the bomb on Nagasaki.

My buddy used to be the brewer at Yellow Springs Brewery until recently. Good beer, cool back deck right on the bike path that runs through the area. Sometimes Dave Chapelle hangs out back there at night.
RSMurphy wrote:I don't believe in God, but I do believe in gospel music.

beards of luxury
Bill Flaig
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:53 pm

I've talked about what to do in Dayton once or twice, I'll try to be briefer this time.

Blind Bob's on the weekend for bands, Lucky's for drinking and pretty good bar food nearby, Omega Records for record shopping. That's our only strip of cool stuff and even then two of the buildings are sex stores.

It's a beer city, a good number of breweries per capita, my personal favorite is the German-style Carillon Brewing attached to the tourist park that documents Dayton's history and relevance a hundred years ago - the second airplane ever built is housed there.

But there's Toxic Brewing downtown, seems to do the job for most people.

Press Coffee.

Pine Club for a steak.
Taqueria Mixteca for Mexican food - family owned and affordable.
White Lotus diner for my favorite eating experience in the city - a tiny, hilarious Thai lady will tell you broken stories and take twenty minutes to prepare you either Thai food or a hamburger. She's the best. It closes relatively early, though.

Yellow Springs can be fun, college-hippie town with a huge nature reserve, just be sure to get that bizarro baked bean pizza at Haha Pizza. Lunch special is by the slice, ask for the owner's favorite.

Dayton Art Institute is like 50% 19th century American artists, so if you like the Hudson school and wilderness paintings, have a ball. Nice impressionism stuff, too, iirc.

You'd have to act like a real ass to get murdered in Dayton, Ohio. We hug, dude.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Major on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:22 am

Wow, now I wish I had another free day in Dayton. Thanks for all the recommendations!
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Return to General Discussion