home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Postby prd on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Is there anyone for whom meditation has never been a calm experience? I kid you not, the following is true.

I first sat down and meditated at 19, having read about five books on Buddhism. I liked the idea of getting rid of ego, but I'm not sure how much I believed a meditation would do anything at all. Anyway, one evening, I sat down and tried.

I did what the books told me to, which was concentrate on breathing. It felt strangely nice at first and I didn't have any trouble clearing my mind. I felt really focused and I started feeling my lungs, my whole body, like I never had before. Then I somewhat lost the grip. I couldn't tell whether I was breathing, or the air was just putting my lungs on. There was no dilemma. The boundaries fell down. I then kind of lost the sensation in my butt, but it wasn't through reduced blood flow. I sort of merged with the floor and began feeling it as a part of my body. It didn't stop there though. Suddenly, I couldn't differentiate between solid and hollow. Slowly, step by fucking step, and I know how fucked up it sounds, I began feeling as one with the entire planet and even the fucking cosmos. I felt the planet rotating and doing all the shit it does, and my stomach did not like that. As I was about to puke, I said to myself (or the remnants of it), "whoa, I think I've had enough" and got up abruptly.

Funnily, even with my eyes open, the state of having lost myself and not having any clue as to where my own body begins or ends remained with me for about half an hour. Meanwhile, I tried to make myself some tea, and while I held the kettle and the teapot, they did not feel real. The whole world was empty, it was just a fucking illusion and me was just a silly part of it. I felt like a toy.

After about 30 minutes, my brain got back on the old track and I was like "what the fuck?" I even ran and woke my sis and told her "we're just an imaginary filler of the imaginary space" or some cryptic shit like that and she moaned something like "are you fucking serious? Don't wake me up to tell me shit like this, I would rather see a giant tarantula or something, fuck you!"

Basically, my first meditation was like an LSD or mushroom trip, except my mind was clear. And every fucking time I tried ever since, it did absolutely nothing. Instead of having my mind clear and focused, there are voices, images, memories intertwined. What's worse, even when I stop, there is this strange roar in my ears and I usually have shitty dreams following my attempt at meditation. Whenever this topic comes up, I always ask everyone, but it seems to be a relaxing and pleasant experience for most.
prd
vice president
vice president

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Experience varies very much individually it seems, and also highly erratic, nothing that can really be planned for.
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Janeway on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:45 am

im trying to wim hof to withstand the cold and give autoimmuneness a thumbs down and middle finger up. it’s a different kinda controlled breathing but if i can swim in winter and stuff, that’s what it’s all about

https://therenegadepharmacist.com/wp-co ... phic-2.jpg

makes me feel like the big bad wolf practicing huffin and puffin so i can blow more houses down.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Facundo on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 am

^wim hof rebranded tummo meditation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tummo

Facundo
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:09 am

nevermind
Last edited by Gramsci on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:33 am

What do you mean?
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am

kokorodoko wrote:What do you mean?

Ignore. I assumed your response was to the post immediately above.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:57 am

It was!

EDIT: Or do you mean the post above yours? I am confuse.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby prd on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Gramsci wrote:That is the most diplomatic post in the face of an explosion of complete horseshit I’ve seen in quite some time.

Because you never read any of our answers to your failed attempts at cracking the crypto nut :arrow:
prd
vice president
vice president

Postby prd on Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:06 pm

kokorodoko wrote:It was!

No worries, he meant mine. And even if he ever tries to ridicule / discourage / bully / warn / whatever you, no worries still.

The man is an utter fuck-up, so for almost anything he says, the opposite is likely to be true. A useful fella in his own right if you use him right. And he won't mind. He will be getting rid of his ego soon.

Good luck :smt006
prd
vice president
vice president

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:35 pm

kokorodoko wrote:It was!

Above. I permanently solved falling further down that rabbit hole with a couple clicks.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Pasta on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:46 am

Okay. FInally chiming in before this thread gets further derailed.
I was raised a Buddhist. Went to temple 6-7 days a week until fifth grade.

Because of this, there has always been an interest. Lots of Zen Study since my teen years.

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/zenmind.pdf
since my cancer diagnosis Daily meditation has been vital, along with talk therapy, in managing life.

I sit about 20 minutes a day. Incense and Candles lit, in front of an alter my uncle built for my mom when she was still practicing. A brass bowl with a wooden striker on my right. Bell rings, breathing.

The goal is not to stop thinking, but, to allow the thoughts to flow through. NO more controlling them, nor, letting them control you.

The most important word is above. PRACTICE. It is and always will be a practice. There is no goal.

CHeck out the linked .pdf.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Gramsci on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am

Pasta wrote:Okay. FInally chiming in before this thread gets further derailed.
I was raised a Buddhist. Went to temple 6-7 days a week until fifth grade.

Because of this, there has always been an interest. Lots of Zen Study since my teen years.

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/zenmind.pdf
since my cancer diagnosis Daily meditation has been vital, along with talk therapy, in managing life.

I sit about 20 minutes a day. Incense and Candles lit, in front of an alter my uncle built for my mom when she was still practicing. A brass bowl with a wooden striker on my right. Bell rings, breathing.

The goal is not to stop thinking, but, to allow the thoughts to flow through. NO more controlling them, nor, letting them control you.

The most important word is above. PRACTICE. It is and always will be a practice. There is no goal.

CHeck out the linked .pdf.

Awesome stuff. Thanks a bunch. The weirdest part for me on this journey is how secular mindfulness is still basically core Buddhist practice. I will dip my toe in that ocean once I’m on the otherside of my first week retreat later in the year.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Facundo on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

sewing with a chewing gum
watching the sheep with a chainsaw.
while she feels cold,
everyone in the room with a pair
knitting needles and drops of tea
threatening the thread
hanging on a strange hand
you feel like a sir,
I feel like I,
you swim in your pool,
dancing for me in the pond for nine pound,
hunky wool yarb
Facundo
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby bishopdante on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm

phpBB [media]

I generally find that rather than sitting and breathing, if I can get in at least an hour of disciplined drum practise, that's a good job for my jabbering-monkey.

From what I can discern, battering drums is a legitimate method found in monasteries all over Asia.

______

Generally try to avoid the tie-dye "new age mysticism" professional crystal rubbing @ $xxx per 15 mins Reiki Martin zone.

phpBB [media]
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Gramsci on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 am

It’s surprisingly easy to avoid. I’m guessing because Buddhism seems to be reasonably free of whoo in the first place. I’m reading Why Buddhism is True at the moment, really good.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Tommy Alpha on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Am going to (re)start classes at a super catholic Buddhist centre near my flat tomorrow eve. I started doing it daily for 5-10 minutes before breakfast. It was cool but it fell by the wayside. Am hoping to get back into the habit.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Gramsci on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:32 am

As much as it irks me to say this, I recommend Sam Harris’ Waking Up podcast. Harris is an incredibly frustrating guy; part genuinely interesting, part insufferable asshole, but he interviews some really good people on meditation, evolutionary psychology and neuroscience.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Pasta on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:40 pm

Gramsci wrote:As much as it irks me to say this, I recommend Sam Harris’ Waking Up podcast. Harris is an incredibly frustrating guy; part genuinely interesting, part insufferable asshole, but he interviews some really good people on meditation, evolutionary psychology and neuroscience.

With you 100% on this. Listen to every episode. He can drive me nuts, but the thought process that ensue are rewarding.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Facundo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:10 pm

I felt manic and powerful and I began reading Castaneda books.
Then I felt manic and proud, scientifically perfect, while I readed Ken Wilber books.
But I forgot this thing...

phpBB [media]

Because I put my feet on the stars and my head under the ground. And and I could only burn my feet and breathe worms...

humility my friend. that is the thing.
Facundo
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion