home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Postby Riff Magnum on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 pm

Gramsci wrote:As much as it irks me to say this, I recommend Sam Harris’ Waking Up podcast. Harris is an incredibly frustrating guy; part genuinely interesting, part insufferable asshole, but he interviews some really good people on meditation, evolutionary psychology and neuroscience.

He's definitely the reason I started meditating. Started back in June and it's pretty much been the best thing i've ever done for myself. Since then I've actually started doing all the things i've thought about doing or knew I should be doing more or less of. Stuff like eating better, exercising, being less judgmental, stopped drinking, etc etc. Just more discipline in all things and dare I say, more grateful.
I like the Headspace app more than 10% Happier. There's some great teachers on 10%, but overall I feel it's less consistent and not as practical as Headspace. Interested to see what Sam's app will be like.
I find my patience being tested by people who talk like they know what mediation is or act like they even practice meditation but obviously don't. You know the "going for long walks centers me" or "being in nature is my meditation" or "in the zone" activities as a substitute for actual practice. All that's great, but it's not the same thing really. I'm trying not to be some meditation zealot pushing my shit onto people, but it's just so damn obvious that this is "the answer" half the population is searching for.
So much for being less judgmental :oops:
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:14 pm

I was regularly meditating about a year ago, then I kind of got out of the habit, but I've been easing myself back into it for the past month. I checked out Headspace, which was probably a good way to start up again but I've found that I'm not a massive fan of guided meditations--I tend to hyper focus on whoever's speaking. Sitting silently or with some light music seems to work better for me.

I now use the Insight Timer app, which I highly recommend. It's free, has a huge library of guided meditations (from a bunch of different sources), some nice music/sound loops for non-guided meditations, and the actual timer part has good options for customization (I like the interval bells you can set up and being able to save presets). There's a ton more to it that I haven't explored as much--a social media platform, courses, etc.

I also do in-person group meditations a couple times a week and those are pretty cool, even though they're usually guided.
mrcancelled
pinochle
pinochle

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:15 am

Fuckin cat. Jesus.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Pasta on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:Fuckin cat. Jesus.

Our dearly missed tomcat Steve always chose my morning meditations as the time to curl up in my lap, purr up a storm, and sometimes drool.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby dontfeartheringo on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Pasta wrote:
dontfeartheringo wrote:Fuckin cat. Jesus.

Our dearly missed tomcat Steve always chose my morning meditations as the time to curl up in my lap, purr up a storm, and sometimes drool.

Mine pokes at me because he's not used to seeing me sit still. I hesitate to start feeding him as a distraction, because then he'll start poking me in the face at 4:30am to be fed.

Once the weather gets warm, I can go sit outside.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Previous

Return to General Discussion