home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Promo post - J Foley "Drone Loops"

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Promo post - J Foley "Drone Loops"

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:51 pm

travis k wrote:Drone songs built on limitations of a process? Thank you sir , may I have another. Very much looking forward to hearing them.

Same here. Eager to see what you do here.

(...and thinking how I can apply this idea or a similar one myself in some way....)
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

This is really cool. I was doing something similar where I looped an open chord with a lofi Zvex thing and then played “melodies” with it by running it through an old Digitech pitchshifter and changing the intervals. It sounded like a weird organ on a Cara Bozulich record or something. Yours rocks way more. Stoked to hear the whole thing.
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:19 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Are there vocals and/or drums on the tracks, or is it 100% loops?

No vocals. Some of the tracks have a drum loop on them, but it's really simple stuff like - snare, hh, bass, hh, repeat.

Some of the cooler stuff happened when I started using the edit cuts to create a rhythm. The loop obviously creates a click sound when it returns to the edit point.

Now, if I cut a loop and then re-taped in the same spot, it shouldn't make a click. But if I cut a loop several times and switched up the order, it would create a click on each of those edits, even if it's the same note. And then, if I switched up the length of those cut sections, I could start to create a rhythm from the clicks happening at different intervals in the loop. I could then record a drone on this new, reconstructed loop that wouldn't have the same edit click points, so engaging/disengaging those two tracks would introduce or mask that rhythm feel.

If that makes sense.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Return to General Discussion