home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby el capitan danjou on Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:04 pm

I saw Isis in London last Wednesday and they were excellent. Really, really excellent.

The nicest surprise - the opening band - "Bohren and Der Club of Gore".

If you've not heard them, they are probably best described as slow, gentle and very, very tense. Makes me think of David Lynch films.

I recommend.
User avatar
el capitan danjou
strongbad
strongbad
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:06 am
Location: nyc

Postby night_tools on Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:14 pm

Yo Capitan!

I thought Isis were excellent when I saw them in Glasgow, but I have to say that the support band Jehu I found pretty boring. They came highly recommended, but made me feel really 'meh'.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
User avatar
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5364
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:32 am
Location: Solar Island

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:35 pm

Do you mean Jesu?
As far as Bohren & Der Club Of Gore go, I find them to be very boring.
Did they play in the box?
I've heard the play in all black and inside a black box with white instruments and blacklights.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
User avatar
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:56 pm
Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby el capitan danjou on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:00 pm

Angry_Dragon wrote:Do you mean Jesu?
As far as Bohren & Der Club Of Gore go, I find them to be very boring.
Did they play in the box?
I've heard the play in all black and inside a black box with white instruments and blacklights.


No box that I saw.

I can understand the "boring" shout, def. got to be in the mood for it. I was playing some poker this evening, and it sat well then though.

Also, I thought they were a million miles better than Jesu on Wednesday night - very average.
User avatar
el capitan danjou
strongbad
strongbad
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:06 am
Location: nyc

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:40 pm

I love the Jesu record, don't think they would be that great live.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
User avatar
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:56 pm
Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby Dylan on Sun May 01, 2005 11:38 am

el capitan danjou wrote:The nicest surprise - the opening band - "Bohren and Der Club of Gore".

Like, "ex-Gore"? Like, ex-members of a band that released one of my favourite fucked up records of all time (Lifelong Deadline)?

I could see the logical outcome of that timeline being a gentle, repetitive and tense musics. Cool.
No time, no time...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: The Square

Postby tarandfeathers on Wed May 04, 2005 7:25 am

They're not ex-members of Gore, but they are named after them. Definitely worth checking out, I think.
User avatar
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:19 am
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby goatlord on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 am

I used to find them boring, but, somehow, last week this changed. Now I love them. Black Earth is a great record.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
User avatar
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:12 am
Location: A shitty corner of spain.

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby Red Square on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 am

good band, i don't listen to them often enough...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
User avatar
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6914
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: on the street of crocodiles...

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby bassdriver on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:41 am

saw them again last night. still a fantastic band!! love them!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
User avatar
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby flanneljammies on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:19 am

Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...
Russell Emerson Hall. Throat torturer. Guitar abuser.
Current: Twelves and Bell & Circuit.
Ex: Tyranny Is Tyranny and United Sons of Toil.
"Yeah, that pedal is way too comedic for you. You're not silly at all."
User avatar
flanneljammies
life
life
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby bassdriver on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:25 am

flanneljammies wrote:Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...


Image

really amazing stage setup! they used to tour with a drummer, but this time the guy who plays the piano played the bass drum and the hi-hat and the bass player played a ride and a snare with pedals. they also have a snare on the stage which spins around on a stand only to produce the typical snare drum noise in their songs. absolutely great!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
User avatar
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby diego on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:56 am

bassdriver wrote:
flanneljammies wrote:Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...


Image

really amazing stage setup! they used to tour with a drummer, but this time the guy who plays the piano played the bass drum and the hi-hat and the bass player played a ride and a snare with pedals. they also have a snare on the stage which spins around on a stand only to produce the typical snare drum noise in their songs. absolutely great!


I was at home last night, knowing they were playing at Dachstock - it was real torture.
It must have been quite something to this band in this venue, by far one of my favorite in CH.
In a nutshell, I'm dead jealous of you bassdriver. :smt006
User avatar
diego
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Confédération Helvétique

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby bassdriver on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:59 am

diego wrote:
bassdriver wrote:
flanneljammies wrote:Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...


Image

really amazing stage setup! they used to tour with a drummer, but this time the guy who plays the piano played the bass drum and the hi-hat and the bass player played a ride and a snare with pedals. they also have a snare on the stage which spins around on a stand only to produce the typical snare drum noise in their songs. absolutely great!


I was at home last night, knowing they were playing at Dachstock - it was real torture.
It must have been quite something to this band in this venue, by far one of my favorite in CH.
In a nutshell, I'm dead jealous of you bassdriver. :smt006


unfortunately they do shitty discos at the Dachstock most of the time now. haven't seen a good band there for quite some time. if I remember correctly, Bohren plays in Luzern tomorrow!!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
User avatar
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby diego on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

bassdriver wrote:
diego wrote:
bassdriver wrote:
flanneljammies wrote:Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...


Image

really amazing stage setup! they used to tour with a drummer, but this time the guy who plays the piano played the bass drum and the hi-hat and the bass player played a ride and a snare with pedals. they also have a snare on the stage which spins around on a stand only to produce the typical snare drum noise in their songs. absolutely great!


I was at home last night, knowing they were playing at Dachstock - it was real torture.
It must have been quite something to this band in this venue, by far one of my favorite in CH.
In a nutshell, I'm dead jealous of you bassdriver. :smt006


unfortunately they do shitty discos at the Dachstock most of the time now. haven't seen a good band there for quite some time. if I remember correctly, Bohren plays in Luzern tomorrow!!


I'm aware they're in Luzern tonight - total bollocks.

I agree with you, I always keep an eye on this venue and I've noticed a decline of "quality bands" indeed in the last few years. Last time I went to see a band there was Dinosaur Jr last year.
It was a very cool show....and it was a funny experience as well, I was on ecstasy. :oops:
Lou Barlow totally opened my shakra that night. ;-)
User avatar
diego
the white ho
the white ho
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Confédération Helvétique

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby ErikG on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:59 pm

Not Crap, WF Mike Patton cameo.
User avatar
ErikG
ollie
ollie
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby bassdriver on Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:19 am

diego wrote:
bassdriver wrote:
diego wrote:
bassdriver wrote:
flanneljammies wrote:Their records are highly addictive. What are they like live? I just imagine them to be shoegazy in the shadows...



really amazing stage setup! they used to tour with a drummer, but this time the guy who plays the piano played the bass drum and the hi-hat and the bass player played a ride and a snare with pedals. they also have a snare on the stage which spins around on a stand only to produce the typical snare drum noise in their songs. absolutely great!


I was at home last night, knowing they were playing at Dachstock - it was real torture.
It must have been quite something to this band in this venue, by far one of my favorite in CH.
In a nutshell, I'm dead jealous of you bassdriver. :smt006


unfortunately they do shitty discos at the Dachstock most of the time now. haven't seen a good band there for quite some time. if I remember correctly, Bohren plays in Luzern tomorrow!!


I'm aware they're in Luzern tonight - total bollocks.

I agree with you, I always keep an eye on this venue and I've noticed a decline of "quality bands" indeed in the last few years. Last time I went to see a band there was Dinosaur Jr last year.
It was a very cool show....and it was a funny experience as well, I was on ecstasy. :oops:
Lou Barlow totally opened my shakra that night. ;-)


ha ha! they sometimes do good bands a the Rössli bar now, worth checking out:

http://www.stadtkonzerte.ch/locations/rossli-bern
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
User avatar
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3312
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby moonbeam on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 pm

their albums are like noir sex scenes.
sunset mission, black earth, and piano nights are my favorite.
User avatar
moonbeam
newbie
newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm
Location: oakland, california

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

A couple of years ago a friend had put on Sunset Mission during the twilight hours of a drive through the Mojave desert. I was converted right then and there.

I am a believer in this band.

Scored Piano Nights a few nights ago along with the last Nick Cave album. I've got some rough listening ahead.

Not Crap.
User avatar
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:40 am
Location: Las Vegas/Los Angeles

Re: Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Postby jbar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 pm

One of my all time favorites. I ended up losing my Bohren shirt to an ex. What a fuckup I am.
jbar
ben franklin
ben franklin
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], natesalon, yard barf and 15 guests