home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

back to poker

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: back to poker

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Sly Bug wrote:
Rimbaud III wrote:What are the chances of setting up international forum games again? Do I need to watch what I post if the situation could be a little sketchy for our American friends?

I miss the tournaments we were playing back in 2008:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40481&hilit=poker+championship

It seems it won't happen again.

I miss those too. Lots of fun. Real people. Real stakes. Real poker.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mookie1010 on Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
steve wrote:Nope. There's shit like WPT where you play play money tournaments and can win trivial amounts of actual money, but even grinding those you'd never make minimum wage, and then there's Carbon, Bovada and Lock, all of which are sketchy, Lock being the worst by a mile.

Well that stinks. There's a really good poker room right across the state line in Oklahoma, but i haven't been in ages. Maybe a 70 minute drive. Just never have the time to commit a whole day to playing cards. Really liked the old days when I could wait for the perfect mood/headspace and sit down and kill it for short bursts.

What room do you go to in OK? I've never gone up there to see whether there's anything good.
mookie1010
marshall
marshall

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm

the poker room at Winstar. It's actually really nice. They have tourneys a couple times a week too.
Riff Magnum
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby steve on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:46 am

Texas is famous for private games. You should have no trouble finding a variety of stakes and games anywhere in Texas. Hell, I've played poker in Texas and I'm hardly ever there.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 am

steve wrote:Texas is famous for private games. You should have no trouble finding a variety of stakes and games anywhere in Texas. Hell, I've played poker in Texas and I'm hardly ever there.

I read an biography(maybe autobiography?) on Doyle a long time ago and he and Amarillo Slim had some insane stories about poker games in Fort Worth and all over Texas. Scary stories.
Riff Magnum
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby steve on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Any part of the underground economy will have occasional scary moments, but mostly it's like anything else. You can find pleasant games or nasty ones, cheap or expensive, well-run or chaotic. Part of being a poker player is selecting games to suit your temperament, skills and bankroll. Especially as a casual player you don't need to play in bad or unsafe games.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:13 pm

No, I understand that. I was just musing. It's always easy to romanticize the good 'ol days.
I had a semi-regular home game with a co-worker for a while, but it turned into an excuse for guys to powder their nose and cheat on their wives and girlfriends, so I bowed out. Kinda sucks because overall I was way ahead, but not worth the drama.
Riff Magnum
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby seanurban on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:41 pm

i've been playing for doge coin at poker shibes. to the moon!
Last edited by seanurban on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
seanurban
King High

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:12 am

seanurban wrote:i've been playing for doge coin at http://www.pokershibes.com. to the moon!

So, it's like bitcoin?
You transfer money from your bank account for "dogecoin," then can deposit dogecoin back into your account as real money?
How long have you been on there? Any problems or concerns? I guess not, otherwise you wouldn't be recommending it to us huh?
Riff Magnum
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby seanurban on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:10 pm

Yeah, it's crypto currency. You can deposit or you can just play the freerolls every 2 hours. Or I can get you started. I've been playing for 4 months with no problems. I guess the player pool is small, but it's growing.
Getting real money is something I need to learn more about. I need to find a 3rd party exchange who takes doge coin.
seanurban
King High

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Might check out those freerolls, just to scratch the itch. Thanks.
Riff Magnum
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Andy on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:57 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/751621 ... am-cepheus

Two-player limit Texas hold’em poker has finally been solved, according to a study published in Science today. Scientists have designed a computer program, named Cepheus, with a strategy for the game that is so close to perfect that statistical analysis shows it can’t be defeated by a human poker player, even if that player competed against the computer for an entire lifetime. This means that no matter how the game starts out, the computer will win or break even in the long run — making it essentially unbeatable.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby steve on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Yeah everybody's been talking about it. The thing about GTO play is that it doesn't maximally exploit specific opponents, which is a big part of poker playing, so there are certain people who dismiss it, but the biggest long-term winners in every discipline are all trying to execute GTO play as a baseline.

If you have a GTO strategy that, for example, check/folds :ah :qh
on a board like :6d :6s :9s :ts :js then in that specific situation the GTO bot won't make money versus a player who is known to fold most hands when you lead rivers like that, while a canny player with exploitative play will, but those situations are not the bread-and-butter situations where the money usually changes hands.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Andy wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/7516219/Texas-Hold-Em-poker-solved-computer-program-cepheus

Two-player limit Texas hold’em poker has finally been solved, according to a study published in Science today. Scientists have designed a computer program, named Cepheus, with a strategy for the game that is so close to perfect that statistical analysis shows it can’t be defeated by a human poker player, even if that player competed against the computer for an entire lifetime. This means that no matter how the game starts out, the computer will win or break even in the long run — making it essentially unbeatable.

This is a cool start, but I don't think too many people play heads up limit hold 'em.
wellbutrin
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby Devin D. Dixon on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:50 pm

seanurban wrote:i've been playing for doge coin at http://www.pokershibes.com. to the moon!

Much check raise. So three bet. Wow.
Devin D. Dixon
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Devin D. Dixon on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:52 pm

steve wrote:If you have a GTO strategy that, for example, check/folds :ah :qh
on a board like :6d :6s :9s :ts :js then in that specific situation the GTO bot won't make money versus a player who is known to fold most hands when you lead rivers like that, while a canny player with exploitative play will, but those situations are not the bread-and-butter situations where the money usually changes hands.

SIWAS
Devin D. Dixon
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby seanurban on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 am

Devin D. Dixon wrote:

Much check raise. So three bet. Wow.

Bluffing AA multiway in PLO brings an ace. big boat. Such river.

Fold 66 to an all-in squeeze. both shibes had AK. Such tilt.
seanurban
King High

Postby chairman_hall on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:25 am

Andy wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/8/7516219/Texas-Hold-Em-poker-solved-computer-program-cepheus

Interesting stuff.
jimmy spako wrote:i have ranted, and you have scrolled.
chairman_hall
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby andteater on Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Devin D. Dixon wrote:
steve wrote:If you have a GTO strategy that, for example, check/folds :ah :qh

SIWAS

yeah.

from what i remember from reading "the Intelligent Poker Player" - the most general strategy was to do the same thing with your strongest hands as you did with your worst hands. very interesting stuff, but as steve points out, it will not exploit the most money out of your opponents and is really only the optimal strategy against another player (or robot) playing GTO.

tried reading "Further Limit Holdem" which went into greater detail and almost blew my brains out.

strategy for playing the absolute best in the world to be read by people who are playing mouthbreathers.

andyk
andteater
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Gramsci on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:50 am

clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion