home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Little details from your day

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Little details from your day

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:
kokorodoko wrote:
travis k wrote:Seconded^ read the teen mags. Their suggestions involve actions which is always better than twiddling thumbs .

That, and they're the only ones I feel I can actually trust. Advice aimed at older guys always seem to turn into some "Game" type shit.

Pickup artists and garbage men should swap names.

Heaven forbid the honorable title of garbage man should be sullied in such a way.
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby travis k on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Just saw a hearse with a bumper sticker that said-
"Honk if you like dying "
travis k
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:52 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:Pickup artists and garbage men should swap names.

Haha, very good.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jtyler on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 am

My boss retired just the other day. Super cool guy, probably one of the best bosses I've ever had. I'm extremely happy for the dude, but it's always kind of a bummer when someone that you really enjoy working with suddenly stops being there.
jtyler
pod
pod

Postby Janeway on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:35 pm

i made homemade jimmy johns. i guess its just a sandwich.

i made a sandwich.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby hayate on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 pm

I had one of those days today that prove to me that yes I am indeed stupid and yes I will have a donut.

tldr i fail at life but spending money on treats keeps me sane

tldr money problems
My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired' ― Edward Abbey
hayate
hank williams
hank williams

Postby Janeway on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:33 am

^honestly doughnuts are the cigarettes of baked goods getting us through winter. poeple pop donut holes. goes with coffee.
Janeway

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:35 pm

Work from home got cancelled and now I'm doing nothing from home.

There are not currently donuts available on GrubHub in my area, so I'm eating Christmas cookies.

I should probably do my city law-mandated shoveling of the snow out front of my house at some point before someone trips and dies and leaves me liable.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:03 pm

I've been to the first job interview of my life. It's been a horror of mine for ten years. At this point, it's a lot less bad than I ever used to imagine. So that's one more thing to scratch off the list.
Janeway wrote:it’s like, why do people say paper covers rock when we all know paper is a lil bish that gets paper weighted by smooth river rocks, you just need to rock out wheneve paperwork has got you down.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby hayate on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:12 pm

funny thing about job interviews is you arent likely to land 90% of them unless you go in with the fear and the cookie cutter picture in your head that most people walk in there with trying to be like a good little lapdog. Because thats what most employers, at least the ones ive applied to or worked for (even though i mostly go for hard-labor/lowbrow stuff in order to avoid this), are looking for. that submissive, servile trait.

But sometimes, if you are at least somewhat overqualified, you can walk in there and just be yourself. Im myself 100% of the time and so finding work is, obviously, near impossible at points.

Janeway wrote:^honestly doughnuts are the cigarettes of baked goods getting us through winter. poeple pop donut holes. goes with coffee.

well. in this case the “donut” is beer, and the “cold weather” is homelessness/unimployment. so when i f up an interview because i got the meetup time wrong, then turn in for the day with 5 bucks in my bank account and go spend that on a couple of steelies, the donut does feel somewhat legitamately undeserved/excessive.
My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired' ― Edward Abbey
hayate
hank williams
hank williams

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:44 pm

hayate wrote:Because thats what most employers, at least the ones ive applied to or worked for (even though i mostly go for hard-labor/lowbrow stuff in order to avoid this), are looking for. that submissive, servile trait.

I knew there had to be some reason for why they teach you to write your application letters in this soapy, obsequious, eager-to-please manner.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Maurice on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm

kokorodoko wrote:
hayate wrote:Because thats what most employers, at least the ones ive applied to or worked for (even though i mostly go for hard-labor/lowbrow stuff in order to avoid this), are looking for. that submissive, servile trait.

I knew there had to be some reason for why they teach you to write your application letters in this soapy, obsequious, eager-to-please manner.

I've been dipping into this site for general work-culture-entertainment purposes, but the archives have a wealth of job-seeking and job-keeping advice: http://www.askamanager.org
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby total_douche on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm

hayate wrote:But sometimes, if you are at least somewhat overqualified, you can walk in there and just be yourself. Im myself 100% of the time and so finding work is, obviously, near impossible at points.

I think, to some degree, it also depends on your work history. I can get away with a lot, I've discovered. I have this corollary problem of shitty industrial jobs following me wherever I go. I quit Renewal by Andersen without notice (because fuck those assholes) and I still keep getting emails from them trying to rehire me. Jesus.

So yeah, show up on time, don't take days off, do at least a mediocre job, and after a few years, you're basically bulletproof.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby hayate on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:23 pm

thanks for the link maurice

Yeah, ive left a lot of jobs without notice. bc fta, pretty much. I am almost always the hardest working guy everywhere I go though.. only Im not so fun to talk to and among the working class that is unfortunately the most important part of the job— being a relatable, jolly average goy.

And I think youre right, that even just 2 or 3 consequtive years with one company on your resume will make you practically bullet proof.. All Ive got are 3 and 5 monthers all the way down the list, sooo.. hah.

Anthony Flack wrote:
dontfeartheringo wrote:Pickup artists and garbage men should swap names.

Haha, very good.

this
hayate
hank williams
hank williams

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:38 pm

hayate wrote:I am almost always the hardest working guy everywhere I go though.. only Im not so fun to talk to and among the working class that is unfortunately the most important part of the job— being a relatable, jolly average goy.

Hm. Here I was thinking that blue-collar jobs are the ones where I can relax and just do my thing, and not have to be "service minded" or "the face of the company" or some bullshit.
kokorodoko
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby Janeway on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:36 pm

i can barely contain myself

phpBB [media]

you guys...
Janeway

Postby hayate on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

kokorodoko wrote:
hayate wrote:I am almost always the hardest working guy everywhere I go though.. only Im not so fun to talk to and among the working class that is unfortunately the most important part of the job— being a relatable, jolly average goy.

Hm. Here I was thinking that blue-collar jobs are the ones where I can relax and just do my thing, and not have to be "service minded" or "the face of the company" or some bullshit.

albiet a different face.. and much more fun than building sammiches.

imho/grain of salt/ymmv
hayate
hank williams
hank williams

Postby Janeway on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

todd from t mobile heard me making fun of him cause i didnt know customer service was on speakerphone. he really was being a doof though.
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 pm

my sasquatch absentee dad has been around lately like when theres photos of the loch ness monster, only he found out about my divorce and bender i went on and me punching the window out and kinda gave me this weird let down attitude and im like "old man,"

and i dont call him old man like he's my old man, i call him like elderly "old. man."

"old man, if you try to look down on me for this i'll have to start looking down on your for every stupid thing youve ever done and i dont know how we'll ever see eachother if we're both looking down at eachother all the time"

why do dads get competitve with you as an adult when as a kid you got to be their angel? but i crack him up with my parenting attitude toward him, its just weird for us both to look down at eachother like, excuse me but who let who down in life, hm? :D but i think we're seeing eye to eye now
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:36 pm

also, my sisters internship isn't bringing in any money so she got a lotto ticket and then lost it and i keep trying to explain that sometimes lotto tickets are a curse, give it to the universe and dont worry about it but my ma says $6,000 is too small a fortune to be a curse but i disagree and think all is still for the best.

step dad is in the hospital for high blood pressure which my mom keeps telling me not to feel guilty about so much im wondering if he explicitly said it was my fault or something ive done. i kow its not the punched out window cause its the bathroom we're remodelling and we've been making fireworks finale amount of jokes about me punching out the entire room to just do the contractor work like, sure lets blast some dead boys and lost boyz and i'll get your bathroom ready for new stuff to be put in. so the mystery remains.
Janeway

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion