home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

what're you buyin', what's on its way?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: what're you buyin', what's on its way?

Postby chris jury on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:13 am

Kramer 450B is on the way- this will be for flipping purposes. anyone jonesing for one of these, once I get it cleaned up?
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:52 am

chris jury wrote:Kramer 450B is on the way- this will be for flipping purposes. anyone jonesing for one of these, once I get it cleaned up?

If only it were a Duke!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 am

My Harmonic Dominator has been shuttling back and forth between the Philly and South Jersey USPS centers for five days instead of being put on a truck to my house.
biscuitdough
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby chris jury on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:39 am

four_oclocker_2 wrote:
chris jury wrote:Kramer 450B is on the way- this will be for flipping purposes. anyone jonesing for one of these, once I get it cleaned up?

If only it were a Duke!

I've got a line on one, if you're interested. Garth and I would enjoy having another member of the club.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 am

chris jury wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:

If only it were a Duke!

I've got a line on one, if you're interested. Garth and I would enjoy having another member of the club.

Send me details!!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby bdm on Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:24 am

I’m actually actively selling and trying to get rid of some stuff, but all that being said I’ve got a beat up TV Yellow Les Paul Junior currently getting a re-fret and a full overhaul with my tech.
bdm
aaron burr
aaron burr

Postby Snowblinder on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 pm

I grabbed this Death By Audio Echo Dream 2 the other day at Music Go Round. I actually don't know if I like it as much as my 1776 Multiplex delay, but it sounds pretty cool and the modulation effect is very fun. That toggle on the Echo side gives an option where your initial sound is muted and only the repeats are audible, which is really weird.

Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby endofanera on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Snowblinder wrote:That toggle on the Echo side gives an option where your initial sound is muted and only the repeats are audible, which is really weird.

I used to do something like that with my old DOD delay - set the delay super short, no feedback, mix all delay. It all but kills the attack of most guitar things you're playing. It's a weird cool sound.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby scoopneck on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

Universal Audio Apollo 8P
scoopneck
homestar
homestar

Postby J. Burns on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm

I was looking at cheap mic pres and found a Symetrix 302 for $60. I figure it's far from the best preamp in the world, but for $30/channel it probably beats the shit out of a mid-2000's Behringer Ultragain.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby TylerSavage on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Snowblinder wrote:I grabbed this Death By Audio Echo Dream 2 the other day at Music Go Round. I actually don't know if I like it as much as my 1776 Multiplex delay, but it sounds pretty cool and the modulation effect is very fun. That toggle on the Echo side gives an option where your initial sound is muted and only the repeats are audible, which is really weird.

love the DBA stuff and the people there seem great
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash

Postby Tommy on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 pm

Just got this '79 2204, pretty psyched. Debating lifting one of the bright cap legs, but I have both master and preamp around 6.5, so I'm not sure how much affect it is having anyway. I do know I'm currently running it with the treble and presence knobs all the way off. Sounds awesome!

Now I need to sell more stuff!
Tommy

Postby J. Burns on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 am

Kill the bright cap so you can use those controls. Congrats, that’s a badass amp. EL34s, 6550s, or KT88’s?
J. Burns

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 am

On a synth binge lately. A Kawai K3m qne a Korg DSM-1 (it misdiagnoses your mental illness with a filter sweep) should be in my rack by Friday.
biscuitdough

Postby Tommy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 am

J. Burns wrote:Kill the bright cap so you can use those controls. Congrats, that’s a badass amp. EL34s, 6550s, or KT88’s?

I've clipped the bright cap on others (JMP 1987 & JCM800 2204/2203) with good results. But those were all even brighter than this one. Was pretty much getting the tone I wanted with a Tele with those two rolled all the way off. I might just snip a leg and see what it gets me. Easy enough to solder back.

Supposed to be old US-made 6CA7 in there but I haven't looked yet. My friend said all the glass was cool NOS stuff he didn't have time to swap out and keep for himself. I have a real deal Mullard CV4004 I'm going to pull out of my Orange and pop in this guy.
Tommy

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Any chance that's the matching cab? I had that same amp in canadian small-lettered version; I got it with the matching cab with G12-65s which I sold and still regret to this day.
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash

Postby kerble on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:10 pm

A Cherry Red 1972 EHX Freedom amp:

Gripped!!
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:43 pm

TylerSavage wrote:Any chance that's the matching cab? I had that same amp in canadian small-lettered version; I got it with the matching cab with G12-65s which I sold and still regret to this day.

It's not. It's an early-mid '80s JCM800 1960A. Originally had a quad of G12T-75 in it. Midwest Buy and Sell sold it to me for $100 unloaded with no casters. I installed a 4/16 stereo 8 jack plate and loaded it with 2 x WGS ET-65 and 2 x G12M-70 (I don't hate these!) that I had in another cab. I also replaced the plastic handles (were rattling) with metal repros from Scumback. I also replaced the casters/mounts with Ernie Balls. Replacing the casters was a total pain in the ASS. The EB shafts are larger than the originals, which meant drilling. Problem is, the originals were butted right up against the front speaker baffle frame. So I had to drill partway into that to get it in there. Eventually would like to replace the 70s with something with tighter low end - probably WGS Veteran 30.

tl;dr - JCM800 cab that I butchered. Why butcher a vintage cab? I went in looking for an empty newer one. Got this one for cheap. Made do. SOUNDS GREAT! Wish it had a little more tight low end and a hair more clean top end.

kerble wrote:A Cherry Red 1972 EHX Freedom amp:
Gripped!!

SWEET! Nice color too.
Tommy

Postby kerble on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Word! There was a black one with the built in small stone for $50 less, but I’m certain that the red one sounds better. Duh.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Tommy wrote:
TylerSavage wrote:Any chance that's the matching cab? I had that same amp in canadian small-lettered version; I got it with the matching cab with G12-65s which I sold and still regret to this day.

It's not. It's an early-mid '80s JCM800 1960A. Originally had a quad of G12T-75 in it. Midwest Buy and Sell sold it to me for $100 unloaded with no casters. I installed a 4/16 stereo 8 jack plate and loaded it with 2 x WGS ET-65 and 2 x G12M-70 (I don't hate these!) that I had in another cab. I also replaced the plastic handles (were rattling) with metal repros from Scumback. I also replaced the casters/mounts with Ernie Balls. Replacing the casters was a total pain in the ASS. The EB shafts are larger than the originals, which meant drilling. Problem is, the originals were butted right up against the front speaker baffle frame. So I had to drill partway into that to get it in there. Eventually would like to replace the 70s with something with tighter low end - probably WGS Veteran 30.

tl;dr - JCM800 cab that I butchered. Why butcher a vintage cab? I went in looking for an empty newer one. Got this one for cheap. Made do. SOUNDS GREAT! Wish it had a little more tight low end and a hair more clean top end.

Cool thanks for the explanation - Love hearing other peoples adventures
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room