home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Mic choices for overheads / cymbals

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Mic choices for overheads / cymbals

Postby Bernardo on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:20 pm

I´ll record a band in a few days and here´s what I´ll have available in terms of condenser pairs:

Neumann TLM 170
Shure Sm81
AKG C391b
CAD Equitek E100

Also, there´s a single Neumann KM145.

So far I´m thinking of starting out with the TLM170s as the overhead pair, and trying the KM145 as the ride cymbal spot mic, and the Sm81 or the AKG as the hi hat mic. I´ve never used any of these except for the Shure, so opinions and the experience of others will be appreciated. Of course these are just starting points, and I will experiment.

The style is mildly fast crusty / thrashy hardcore.

Thanks!
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Bernardo on Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:18 am

So, I went with the TLM170s for the overheads, the Km145 for the ride cymbal and the Sm81 for the hi hat, as well as a pair of E100s for a stereo room setup (looking at the walls, as opposed to the drum kit, equidistant to the kick).

The TLMs (A-B config) picked up some nice body from the toms and snare, but may have been too veiled for the cymbals (three crashes, plus ride and hi hat), I'll find out at mixdown. At least they sounded pleasant, not harsh at all, plus they added nicely to the individual tom mics, making for a good combination. The Km145 was impeccable, best ride spot mic I've ever used. Didn't pay much attention to the hi hat mic, to be honest, there was plenty of HH bleed everywhere else.

The Cads appeared to have too much high mids / hi freq emphasis, I ended up with a room sound that may prove to be too splashy and cymbal heavy. The only other condenser pair I had available was a couple of AKGs C391, which I have disliked in the past, so I thought it was a fair compromise. Perhaps switching the TLMs for the E100s would have been a good idea, but I didn't have enough time to experiment.

If anyone is interested, the recording was for brazilian hardcore band Ratos de Porao's new album, mixing should take place sometime next month.
Bernardo

Re: Mic choices for overheads / cymbals

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 pm

I didn't remember having made this very popular thread, either way, here's what came out of that session:

phpBB [media]

I didn't mix the record myself (well, one track, sorta), though I was there for the mixing.
Bernardo

Postby cwendeld on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Ratos de Porao's new album

Holy shit! Congratulations. That is a legendary band in my book. I haven't heard much of their new stuff.
cwendeld
alderman
alderman

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 pm

cwendeld wrote:
Ratos de Porao's new album

Holy shit! Congratulations. That is a legendary band in my book. I haven't heard much of their new stuff.

Thanks, they've done another album since, actually (the thread is from 2006), but it was really cool to have worked on this one, I enjoy the songs a lot.
Bernardo

Return to Tech Room