home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Tronographic News Thread: RUSTY BOX & BOXIDIZER UPDATES

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Tronographic News Thread: RUSTY BOX & BOXIDIZER UPDATES

Postby numberthirty on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:29 pm

While it's not exactly going to be a "Fun" purchase, a good A/B/Y box may be some of the best gear money you can ever spend.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Lately I've been using the Boxidizer when I want the EGC to get louder into an already distorting amp without losing all that clang.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby japmn on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:20 pm

numberthirty wrote:While it's not exactly going to be a "Fun" purchase, a good A/B/Y box may be some of the best gear money you can ever spend.

I have a Boss Line selector:

Not only is it worth every single cent, but I think it is the best pedal Boss has ever made. You can make some really cool stuff happen with it. Effect loops like crazy, but I most often use it to run a Fuzz with Bass or Baritone and be able to blend clean signal in with it. Buy one.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby japmn on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:23 pm

Thinking about picking up a Boxidizer to run our Nord Electro through. The organ sounds aren't great without a little breakup, but if you run the piano sounds through distortion, it sounds like trash. You can set it up so Organs come out of left out and pianos come out of right out. Organs to Boxidizer, pianos right into the PA. Solved. The Rusty sounds pretty good for this, but I use that for Bass/Baritone and it is a reason to buy another pedal!
japmn

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm

japmn wrote:
numberthirty wrote:While it's not exactly going to be a "Fun" purchase, a good A/B/Y box may be some of the best gear money you can ever spend.

I have a Boss Line selector:

Not only is it worth every single cent, but I think it is the best pedal Boss has ever made. You can make some really cool stuff happen with it. Effect loops like crazy, but I most often use it to run a Fuzz with Bass or Baritone and be able to blend clean signal in with it. Buy one.

It's also a great "I need a fuzz/overdrive." fix without having to buy a dedicated pedal. Just pick out two you have around.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 am

What volume level are people running their Rusty Box's at? I'm running mine at about the 2 o'clock volume level into an Acoustic 470 and I'm finding that I'm too loud. Last show we played I ran the amp on just over 2 and it sounded pretty average, like I was pushing the amp too much for the volume I was playing at.
Verbs & Nouns
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby flw on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:57 pm

I found both the RB and acoustic amps to have sensitive volume knobs at low settings. Somewhere below 9oclock the slightest turn you manage to make results in a huge difference. Ive tried to keep the volume knob of the RB as low as possible (9oclock, 8.30?). afaik the acoustic should be above 9 to replicate whats getting into it (though I only had a 220). What are your gain settings? (also Hi/Lo?)
flw
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I run it into the low input (the jack on the high input is a but shit) through the B channel (A channel is a bit crap as well) lead switch on, bright switch on, no mid, bass on about 4 o'clock (with 12 o'clock being "0"), treble at about 10 or 11 o'clock. EQ flat. I play a Kramer 450b through the bridge pick up into a 4x10 with Eminance speakers and a 1x15 EV TL 606.

I tried turning the Rusty Box down to about 12 o'clock last night, and I could just go to three on my amp, but it was at practice with only the EV cab and we were writing a noisey song where I also use a Bass Overdrive Pedal and the High Gain on the RB the whole time.

I'll try turning the volume on the Rusty Box down even further and turning up my amp. Even before I used a Rusty Box, I could never run it louder than 3 or 4 (was using various Boss distortion / overdrive pedals).
Verbs & Nouns
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby saltysail on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Let me know if you still have the baggins bike bag for sale. i know it was posted a long time ago. Thanks.
saltysail

Postby japmn on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 am

I just purchased a Boxidizer from FM ||||||||||||| (however you type that) and it is pretty great. Almost what I really wanted out of the Rusty Box as far as voicing.

I have a plan where I rack up my Fostex Stereo Spring Reverb, and Art SLA-1 poweramp, and feed one side with guitar through the Boxi, and Organ through the Rusty into the other. I have these little single 12" cabs that went to a Roberts R2R machine (they bolt together like a suitcase!), but the speakers kinda suck. But... I also have 2 ATC 300 watt rated 12" speakers lying around that came out of an EAW mid/hi that I could mount into them.

A 3 space rack, 2 pedals, and a little suitcase speaker rig for Organ and Guitar space jam'n!

All I need is a tiny drum set and I'm mobile as fuck!

I found a pic of the speakers, they are super cool.

Anyway Milford, you make 2 pedals that are, on the surface, pretty great overdrive pedals. But they are absurdly useful as DI/Preamps. Keep doing great work. I DARE you to create a Leslie Sim next.
japmn

Postby japmn on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:What volume level are people running their Rusty Box's at? I'm running mine at about the 2 o'clock volume level into an Acoustic 470 and I'm finding that I'm too loud. Last show we played I ran the amp on just over 2 and it sounded pretty average, like I was pushing the amp too much for the volume I was playing at.

I generally find a sound I like, and will bypass the pedal, listen to the un-preamped level, and then set the volume so that it is slightly louder when I have the pedal engaged. LIke 4-5 dB? Just a little boost over what the amp is doing on its own.

I have found it harder to get a sound I like when using it in a chain like a normal overdrive. I tend to be pushing the amp way too much once I find what sounds good. With a tube amp, this sometimes works, but feeding a Solidstate amp, it gets very compressed sounding. I'm thinking of trying it in parallel with my clean tone using a mixer pedal. Seems like It could get pretty nifty like that.
japmn

Postby bassdriver on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 am

japmn wrote:
Verbs & Nouns wrote:What volume level are people running their Rusty Box's at? I'm running mine at about the 2 o'clock volume level into an Acoustic 470 and I'm finding that I'm too loud. Last show we played I ran the amp on just over 2 and it sounded pretty average, like I was pushing the amp too much for the volume I was playing at.

I generally find a sound I like, and will bypass the pedal, listen to the un-preamped level, and then set the volume so that it is slightly louder when I have the pedal engaged. LIke 4-5 dB? Just a little boost over what the amp is doing on its own.

I have found it harder to get a sound I like when using it in a chain like a normal overdrive. I tend to be pushing the amp way too much once I find what sounds good. With a tube amp, this sometimes works, but feeding a Solidstate amp, it gets very compressed sounding. I'm thinking of trying it in parallel with my clean tone using a mixer pedal. Seems like It could get pretty nifty like that.

what japmn said. compare it to the dry signal. the rusty box is a preamp and has much higher output than your bass/guitar. mine is set somewhere around 8/9 o'clock when plugged into the amp's input.
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby badbenjie on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:07 pm

Well, this is my first post, been lurking here for a while. I recently bought a used bixidizer and have found that it is excessively noisey. Like worst single coil ever noisey. I assume something is wrong with the pedal, but want to know if anyone else has experienced this. Aside from the noise the pedal sounds awesome!
badbenjie
jock
jock

Postby TheMilford on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:33 pm

badbenjie wrote:Well, this is my first post, been lurking here for a while. I recently bought a used bixidizer and have found that it is excessively noisey. Like worst single coil ever noisey. I assume something is wrong with the pedal, but want to know if anyone else has experienced this. Aside from the noise the pedal sounds awesome!

our repair fee is pretty cheap… hit us up with an e-mail and my tech can get you some info and repair pricing.

sales@tronographic.com
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby badbenjie on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:14 pm

Will do, thanks you.
badbenjie
jock
jock

Postby lifestyle on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Could any UK-based Rusty Box buyers let me know how much import duty you got stung for please?
lifestyle
scout
scout

Postby tallchris on Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Anyone got a Rusty Box they're not using and would want to sell? Kind of regret selling mine now, and would like to get one back in my pedal arsenal.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby TheMilford on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm

tallchris wrote:Anyone got a Rusty Box they're not using and would want to sell? Kind of regret selling mine now, and would like to get one back in my pedal arsenal.

Might have some B-stick units. PM me.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:16 pm

I had to fix my Rusty Box power supply the other week. The usual wall wart power supply stressed cable crap. It's because I keep it in my bass case, totally my fault.

Anyway I feel so much better now that I've successfully popped the top on it and done the repair. Because I know that if it happens again the fix is just a soldering iron away, and fucked if I've seen any other 30v power supplies around. I called up the guy at the importers and he said he couldn't get any. He recommended I go home and put it corner to corner in a vise and squeeze, and hopefully the top will pop off, which it did.

It was a slightly stressful moment as I had discovered the problem at soundcheck and only had a few hours to get it working. And the Rusty Box is my preamp. The rarity of the power supply is something that's always been in the back of my mind ever since I started depending on it. But since I've got the top off I feel like I can stop worrying.
Anthony Flack

Postby TheMilford on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:09 am

We have power supplies in stock. Always. If you drop me a line all PFRers will get a discount on shipping. Just let me know here first.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room