home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Whats your progression of amplifiers up to now??

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Whats your progression of amplifiers up to now??

Postby Mason on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Guitar:
Crate GX-15R
Behringer half-stack
Fender Blues Jr.
Peavey Backstage
Fender Musicmaster Bass (still own)
Fender Champ 25 SE (still own)

Bass:
Sunn Coliseum 300, Fender era
Kustom solid-state head, slanty-leg-K logo era
Peavey Musician mk. 1 (still own)
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Adam P on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 pm

I started out with a Squier 15w practice amp for guitar and a Fender BXR 25 for bass.

My first real guitar amp was a Sovtek MIG 50 with matching 2x12. Bought it new from the local guitar shop when I was 14. Didn't know shit about tube amps and was afraid to turn the volume up because I thought it would just get louder and louder instead of saturating. Ran it with various shitty distortion pedals. Still have it.

Marshall 8100 Valvestate. Because I didn't know shit about tube amps. It broke when I was in college. I never bothered picking it up from the repair shop because they said they couldn't fix it. They were probably lying, but who cares, it was a POS.

I bought a drip-edge silverface Bassman to use for bass. I was playing in a band my freshman year of college and wanted something bigger than our drummer's Peavey TNT 15" combo, so I bought a turquoise sparkle tuck-and-roll 2x15 cab for $75 at the guitar shop near where I went to school. Used the Ampeg head with it until I happened to see the Bassman at a Sam Ash for $250. I remembered a friend of mine had one back in high school and I always thought it was kind of cool so I bought it on a whim. Still have the Bassman and the 2x15. They're probably much better suited for guitar than bass.

My first real bass amp was an Ampeg B2R head and Ampeg 4x10 cab. I picked it up used at another local place when I was 16 or 17. Picked up an Ampeg 1x15 a few years later. Still have the head and the 1x15. Sold the 4x10 to buy an 8x10.

I traded the 8x10 for a Red Bear MK60 last summer. The head had a nice looking new headbox and matching road case made by Emperor. The 8x10 was too unwieldy to move down my basement stairs to where all my gear is so it just sat unused. I replaced it with an Emperor 2x15. Bought an Ampeg V4 4x12 a couple months later. Bought my friend's JCM 800 4x12 cab.

I used the Emperor and Ampeg with a Traynor YBA-3A that I'd bought a couple years ago. I added a master volume to it, but was never crazy about the sound I got out of it. Sold it and used the money to buy a Verellen Meatsmoke preamp pedal from FM tallchris and which, coupled with a Rane power amp, is my current primary bass amp.

Got a Trayner TS-25B combo from eBay for $50 on a make offer deal for local pickup only. Added a line out. Still have it.

Sunn Beta Bass head. Bought this from FM beckertronix a few months ago because I've been a fan of them for a while now and it was a good deal. Still need to build a footswitch for it. Still have it.

So the current stable is:
Sovtek MIG 50 w/ matching 2x12
Red Bear MK60/Marshall JCM 800 4x12
Fender Bassman/tuck-and-roll 2x15 of unknown provenance
Ampeg B2R/Ampeg 1x15
Verellen Meatsmoke preamp/Rane poweramp/Ampeg V4 4x12/Emperor 2x15
Sunn Beta Bass
Traynor TS-25B
Fender practice amps.

plus custody of a Peavey 5150, a JCM 900 4x12 and Silvertone 1484 head/2x12 cab that belong to friends.
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby dropthebeat on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:50 pm

More or less in order of acquisition, * means I've still got it:

Univox 10w practice amp
Fender BXR15 (?)
Traynor Bloc 80B
Yamaha G100 115*
Fender Bassman 135
Peavey Mark VI, 1x15 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Traynor YBA200, YBX1510
Marshall 1966a*
Vox AC30CCH
Traynor YVM-1*
Epiphone Valve Jr. head
Mesa-Boogie Bass 400+
Fender PA135
Garnet PA100
Musicman RD100, 412*
Ampeg B-15N
Peavey Classic 50 410
Marshall 1966b*
Garnet Session Man*
Garnet Vagabond
Fender Blues Jr. (first one)
Peavey Classic 112 cab*
Fender Blues Deville 212*
GK 800RB*
GK 800RB
Yorkville 410*
Yorkville 115*
Traynor YRM-1*
Traynor TS 215*
Fender Blues Jr (second one)
SG Systems nonsense combo*
Epiphone Valve Jr. combo
Fender Super Champ XD*
Gallien-Krueger 700RB 210 combo*
Traynor YGM-4*
Traynor YBA-1A*
Fender Blues Jr* (third one)
Traynor neodymium 112*
Pyle practice amp*
Peavey Centurion
Marshall Jubilee 115 cab*
Yamaha T50C
Traynor YRM-1*
Yorkville 212G cabinet*

I feel like this is it.
Last edited by dropthebeat on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dropthebeat
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby JHV on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:13 am

Bass:
-Kustom 250
-Ampeg V4b
-GK 800RB w/Rusty Box.

Guitar:
-10w Yamaha practice amp
-35w Washburn single 12 combo
-2x12 Peavey combo, I forget what it was, maybe a Renown? It didn't have the blue lines, it was just silver and black. That thing was LOUD.
-Fender Super 112 red knob combo
-Fender blues DeVille 4x10, with the tweed tolex. That thing was awesome.
*long stretch where I didn't play guitar, because of playing drums and bass in bands*
-Peavey Rage 15 (still have, practice amp)
*playing guitar again*
-Musicman sixty-five 2x12 combo
-Musicman HD-120 2x12 combo. Shouldn't have gotten rid of it. Such a versatile amp.
-Vox AC-30 combo
Still playing the Vox. Unless I get a crazy good deal on something I know I like and would work well for what I'm playing now, I don't see myself getting rid of it. Might drop some bucks and switch out the transformers and choke for some Mercury Magnetics.
JHV
strongbad
strongbad

Postby Carl on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:Traynor TS-15 (Bought from FM Carl for $5 as it made a weird flubbing sound.

The fact that I needed to pack up the house and move to a much smaller apartment in 48 hours greatly affected the price. Good amp, though, and I'm glad it's in better shape now.

My first amp was a 20-watt Gorilla, followed by a 50-watt Peavey Bandit, then a Marshall 50-watt JCM800, followed by a Fender Blues Deluxe 40-watt amp (purchased from a guy who gave me almost as good a deal as I gave FM four_oclocker_2 on the TS-15 during the Clinton administration), and the TS-15.

The Fender is the only one I have after the downsizing.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby voerking on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Squier 15 practice amp

Crate 2X12" solid state combo. (not sure of the model. it was probably 100 watts & sounded pretty decent...wish i still had it)

Hiwatt Lead 100R w/ Marshall 4X12" (my main amp for around a decade. this was one of the less reliable two channel PCB amps from the 80's. still, it sounded pretty awesome when it worked)

Line 6 Flextone XL. (not sure what i was thinking here...it didn't last long)

THD Flexi 50 w/ THD 2X12" cab. (great amp. wish i hadn't sold it)

Epiphone Valve jr. ( i modded this a bunch then sold it. good for what it was...)

Jet City 20H (i also modded this one. i liked it a lot, but it seemed really noisy when cranked loud enough to play with a drummer, so i moved it along)

Waller GMax 100H (bought for a hundred bucks. sounds like a million goddamn dollars. my current gigging amp)

EHX .22 Caliber. (my little 20 watt pedal sized practice amp. it does the job)
Last edited by voerking on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
voerking
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby TheMattJones88 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Crate crappy practice amp
Trace Elliot Tramp
Epiphone Valve Jr
Peavey Classic 20
Music Man 112RD 50
Custom Tweed Deluxe in a Head / 1x12 cab setup. It sounded...terrible.
Fender Vibro Champ
90's Fender Super (with a distortion channel and FX loop). Despite the added crap on it, the clean channel sounded great. 60w is WAY too much for a bedroom amp though.
Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue - This lasted about a month and a half. Within 6 hours of owning it I had burned out the Rectifier tube and had to spend $200 to replace the fried pieces of PCB. Sounded ok after that, until you turned it past three, and then it would rattle like you wouldn't believe. Traded that for...
1965 Ampeg Gemini II - The best amp I've ever owned. I sold it because I'm an idiot.
Vox AC4
Ampeg GU-12
Peavey Classic 20 (again. Still sucked.)
Vox AC4 (Again. Better than the classic 20.)
Fender Excelsior

All I have now is the Excelsior, and so far so good. I bought a Weber Micro Mass attenuator so I can play it at bedroom apartment levels. Certainly gets the job done for my noodling. Damn if I don't love playing through a 15 too.
TheMattJones88
padre
padre

Postby mors08 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Crate GX*** - (single 8" something or other) $20

Peavey Bandit - Hand me down from friend who quit guitar
(used to "stack" with the amp above)

Fender Princeton Chorus - $500 (1996-ish)
(I cringe when I think of the silverface deluxe reverb that was sitting, lonely next to it for under $400 and a matching vibrochamp for under $200. How the fuck did that asshole at Guitar Center convince me I needed Stereo Chorus in an amp???)

Blues Junior - $275
(did all the mods to this over the years, replaced speaker, just never worked right for me)

Fender Blues Deville 4x10 - nothing really special about these amps but they are pretty solid, loud, and don't sound awful. Kind of wish I hadn't sold this one but broke even on $$ for it.

Univox U45B * - early 60's - $150
recapped and had to change speaker. It's fun to mess with and record.

'81 Vibrochamp * - traded the Blues Junior plus $50. Fixed up a bit, speaker is still shit but sounds great through a bigger 1x15" cab

3 home builds - 2 tweed deluxes and a champ clone *
Could probably have taken all the money I put into building these and bought one nice amp - but the memories of burning and electrocuting myself along the way are simply priceless.

That was kind of cathartic...

* = still have
mors08
canasta
canasta

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:39 am

Guitar:
Small practice amp ~10W - no idea what brand, but it only had volume and tone knobs, was made of plastic, and it sucked. Gave to a friend who needed an amp
Park 15 W practice amp - gave to a friend who needed an amp
Fender Princeton Chorus - Still use it
Epiphone 2 x 8 something-or-other (left at my house by someone & never claimed) - use as last resort
Fender Twin Reverb - Still use it

Bass:
Crate 20W practice amp - disappeared in the late 90s
A series of 2 or 3 borrowed amps
Sovtek Mig 50 - still have it, needs repair
Fender solid state Bassman 200 - still have it, would use it if I played bass in a band
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby the letter o on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:35 am

Combos...
Fender 15*
Marshall VS30R
Fender Blues Deville
Trace Eliot Velocette (1x10)*
"Audio Bros" Hiwatt Custom 20
Ampeg Jet J-20*
Dual Showman Reverb/Twin (2x12)*

Heads...
Jet City JCA20H
Traynor YSR-1*
Traynor YBA-1
Orange TH-30
Blackstar Artisan 15H
Vox Night Train NT15H*

Still got everything with a *

Done a fair bit of trading over the last 2 years, but think I'm done with it all now. The Ampeg needs fixing (nothing major), and the DSR will be a long-term project, those apart, it's all good. Sometimes miss that little Hiwatt, though.
Look at that! A perfectly square bit of black dirt on the window!
the letter o
erik seidel
erik seidel

Postby Robot McGearman on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:25 pm

2001 - present: Fender BXR 60 (traded my turntable for it and it's my main bass amp)
2005 - present: Peavey Max 126 (for practice and some recording)
2007 - present: Fender Princeton Chorus DSP (main recording amp)
2009 - 2013: Fender Vibro Champ XD (used it for practice and some songs but never liked it much)
2010 - 2012: Fender Sidekick Chorus (practice amp)
2010 - present: second Fender Princeton Chorus DSP (practice and recording)
Robot McGearman
rose royce
rose royce

Postby satanismyguide on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:06 am

- Sovtek MIG-50
- Koch Mutlitone II with custom output transformer
- Ampeg GVT15H (bought few months ago, I'm very impressed, lots of headroom and takes my RAT pedals wonderfully, anyone else?)
- Custom cabinet with Vintage 30
yo!
satanismyguide

Postby benadrian on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Voerking is an amazing guitarist and you should all listen to him. This is even more incentive for him to put up his solo guitar album "Boxes of Dead Things." Also see Grand Ulena and recent Yowie. I bet he sounds good no matter what amp he's using.

voerking wrote:Squier 15 practice amp

Crate 2X12" solid state combo. (not sure of the model. it was probably 100 watts & sounded pretty decent...wish i still had it)

Hiwatt Lead 100R w/ Marshall 4X12" (my main amp for around a decade. this was one of the less reliable two channel PCB amps from the 80's. still, it sounded pretty awesome when it worked)

Line 6 Flextone XL. (not sure what i was thinking here...it didn't last long)

THD Flexi 50 w/ THD 2X12" cab. (great amp. wish i hadn't sold it)

Epiphone Valve jr. ( i modded this a bunch then sold it. good for what it was...)

Jet City 20H (i also modded this one. i liked it a lot, but it seemed really noisy when cranked loud enough to play with a drummer, so i moved it along)

Waller GMax 100H (bought for a hundred bucks. sounds like a million goddamn dollars. my current gigging amp)

EHX .22 Caliber. (my little 20 watt pedal sized practice amp. it does the job)
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby mmmribsmmm on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 am

Peavy Rage 158- SS 8 inch speaker
Peavy Studio Chorus 210
Sovtek Mig 100 half stack
Crate VC 1x10-don't remember the exact model, white tolex tube amp. It wasn't that bad, actually
Musicman 65 half stack w extra 1x15 cab
Daily H2-50 watt EL34 vertically stacked 2x12-awesome amp, gig and record with
Ampeg VT-40 -1973
Traynor Custom Reverb-1967 or 68
Traynor TS-200-
Traynor YBA-1-1969
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm

Postby TylerSavage on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 am

Marshall VS100
Sovtek Midget Mig50H (bought from Electrical)

and if I never broke the sovtek I probably would've just played that for the foreseeable future. It's just the right amount of disgusting. Instead...

Marshall JMP 50w Mk2
Marshall JTM 60 (sold)
Peavey Classic 50 (sold)
Peavey Classic
Riviera 20w
60s Traynor YBA-1
Traynor monoblock
Garnet Rebel PA
'64 Fender Bassman
Garnet Pro PA
'72 Fender Twin
Garnet Pro Reverb
Garnet Rebel
Garnet Rebel PA Reverb
Marshall JMP mk2 50w 2x12 combo

the Garnet Pro Reverb is probably the best of the bunch
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Jeez guys. I've only really owned 2 amps ever.

-Peavey Encore 110 (used a sansamp as a preamp and it was surprisingly passable for a long time)
~~>Sansamp through soundcard for dorm room playing.

-'69ish Fender Champ-Amp (only really got this a few years back when I started playing again)

For playing with others I usually used the other guitarist's 2nd best amp. Also, in college the hippie learning community had this great special dorm/castle that had a music practice rooms on each floor and they had various school owned amps. There was something similar in the music department. These included the following.

-Peavey Bandit (again needs a rat or sansamp)

-Various Crate whatevers. (I think I only tried it once. It was a head with a cab and I couldn't do much with it)

-Peavey Classic 30 (this was pretty good)

-Fender Twin RI (I dug this, but it turned out to belong to some guy who made a big shit over me using it after a few times; I thought it belonged to the music department)

-A Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 (my favorite. Only got to play it a few times, but as a melvins fan I just put my rat in front of it and was in heaven. Not as good as the head and cab versions though. Also never got to really crank it.)

This is why I've always been such a pedal centered guy. I was always using something different. There were a few years where I never turned that Rat off, only using my volume control.
VaticanShotglass
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Vox Pathfinder 15, solid state

Practice amp. Not great, but it works. In my parents’ house.

Roland Cube, solid state

Total shit. A friend gave it to me for free, but it was my practice amp for a while in my apartment. I can’t get rid of the fucking thing.

Randall Commander 410, solid state

It was fine for what it was. I didn’t know anything about amps four years ago and it did the job. It’s the amp on the first CS album. I’m going to sell it soon.

Ampeg VH140C head, solid state

A friend sold it to me for $250 and it took many lickings and mostly keeps ticking. I really do love it. Definitely the head that is the source of “my” sound, such as it is. It’s as sludgy as the SS150 with the right settings, but way more powerful. It took me a while to figure this out.

Peavey FC412 cabinet

One of the worst cabinets ever made, but I toured with it for three weeks and used it past that point. Built into a metal flight case without casters. I don’t know how I didn’t get a third hernia lugging it around.

Fender Bassman 100 head with master volume, tube

Good amp but it didn’t fit what I needed at the time. Very clean and the Cabinet was so crap that it sounded weak with our stage volume. I sold both the cab and the head to one of my best friends and he sounds far better with both than I ever did.

Mesa/Boogie Slant 412 cabinet

Fantastic, loud cabinet that finally gave me “my” heavy guitar sound. Heavy, but it has casters.

Ampeg VH140C head, solid state (2nd one)

Sounded the same but not as reliable as the first one. I’ll probably sell it.

Ampeg SS150 head, solid state

Very good recording amp but not great live: it’s not very loud. Very, very sludgy; it’s definitely the Eyehategod sound.

Peavey Series 400 bass head, solid state

One of the really old ones. I got it for super cheap, and it is an absolute monster. Seriously incredible sound. However, since I’m not really a bassist it doesn’t get much use.

Randall Commander 212, solid state

Got this on eBay with two trashed speakers, so I had my amp guy put in two Celestion G-12’s, I think 75’s in particular. Haven’t had time to really work with it yet but it sounds pretty good, better than the other Randall.

Peavey Bandit Solo Series, solid state

Current apartment amp, but I kind of got hosed on the deal (it came without knobs and they didn’t tell me it was a replacement speaker.) Sounds okay but I want to get rid of it.

Sunn Concert Lead, solid state, silverface

I wanted one for years and I haven’t quite had time to use it yet. Looking forward to experimenting, though. The word is that it sounds best with a 4 ohm cabinet for distortion.

Sonic 412 cabinet

Cruddy cab that I got as a spare. Probably shouldn’t have.

After I get rid of a few things, I want to get a decent tube amp or two. My music calls more for them now.

Borrowed on recordings:

I only used the amps that FM Kyle Motor owned on my solo album - he has amazing gear - and I rented a Fender Vibrolux Reverb with Weber 10’s for a session six months ago that was absolutely astonishing. I really wish I owned that amp.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Boombats on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Guitar:
Kustom Frankenstein
Peavey Classic 410
Randall Switchmaster
Mesa Boogie single rectifier
An evolving selection of tube preamps and EQs with solid state power amps. Currently Randall RRM 2-2 stereo preamp, ART stereo tube EQ, Carvin DCM 150 power amp.

I don't think I'll ever go back to combos or heads. Modularity is the way to go. I have reliability and an unique sound that nobody else can get without accumulating the same collection of obscure stuff. Plus I can change something without ditching the whole shebop. I still have the Switchmaster though because it rules.

Bass:
Gorilla 30w
Yorkville 80w
Carvin Cyclops
An evolving selection of tube preamps and EQs with solid state power amps. Also still rocking this. Currently Alembic F-1X pre, Rocktron compressor, Carvin DCM 1204
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Adam P on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Adam P wrote:So the current stable is:
Sovtek MIG 50 w/ matching 2x12
Red Bear MK60/Marshall JCM 800 4x12
Fender Bassman/tuck-and-roll 2x15 of unknown provenance
Ampeg B2R/Ampeg 1x15
Verellen Meatsmoke preamp/Rane poweramp/Ampeg V4 4x12/Emperor 2x15
Sunn Beta Bass
Traynor TS-25B
Fender practice amps.

This was fun to revisit...

Stuff in red replaced...

Sold the JCM 800 4x12 and bought an used Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Governors.

Rane power amp is now being used to run wedge monitors in my PA. Primary bass amp is now a GK 800RB.

Stuff that I’ve added...

Jet City JCA20H...used at Guitar Center for like $200. Fun for lower-volume messing around.

Orange Micro Terror...these became sort of a group gift thing among my friends, where several of us wound up with them as gifts for various reasons. Mine was gifted to me by my wife. Another fun little amp.

Traynor TS-25...$10 on eBay, chassis only, no cabinet, reverb tank, etc. Re-soldered a broken wire, built a head box from some scrap wood, and wired a jack to the speaker output.

Ampeg SVT 8x10 cab...old flat back/wheeled dolly style with the 30w CTS alnico speakers. $150. Five of the speakers need re-coned, which I’ll eventually have done by a semi-local guy at $50 a pop. So ultimately, a $400 vintage SVT cab.
Adam P

Postby Dudley on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am

Ancient Laney 30w SS combo(K30??) with tremelo and no gain whatsoever.

A 5w one-piece plastic practice amp, with cardboard back, made to look like a 70's PA cab.

A very old valve amp, an ancient tiny PA, with two speakers that clipped together for transport.

A Selmer Bass N Treble with 2 x 12" cab.

Marshall MG50 combo with horrible digital effects

Laney LC15R*

Fender 150w bass combo*

Vox Cambridge 30 - hybrid combo*

Laney LC30-ii*

*still got
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room