home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Whats your progression of amplifiers up to now??

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Whats your progression of amplifiers up to now??

Postby Tommy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Current main amps: OR120 + Princeton Reverb

* = I still have it

Band/Gig Amp:
Fender Pro Reverb (silver)
Fender Bassman (black)
Fender Bandmaster (black)
*Fender Tremolux (blonde)
*Ampeg V-4
Fender Bassman (blonde)
*Orange OR120
Mesa Boogie D180
*Marshall JMP 50

Home Amp:
Crate ?
Peavey Bandit 65
Fender Princeton Revberb (silver)
Laney Linebacker 50
Fender Pro Reverb (silver)
*Fender Princeton Reverb (black)
Fender Tremolux (tweed)

Other amps owned that never made it to "main" status:
Fender Priceton Reverb (silverface)
Fender Princeton (silverface)
Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue)
Fender Bandmaster (blonde)
Ampeg B-15S
Ampeg V-4B
Peavey Musician
Ampeg B-25
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:46 pm

* = still own

Marshall MG30 - solid state piece of shit. My first amp.
Trace Elliot Tramp - I only ever played with every knob dimed. Crap.
Marshall JTM-60 1x12 combo - My first tube amp. It was ok, but not very exciting.
Marshall 4x10 - used with the JTM-60
*"Hi-Octane" - 8w high gain kit amp. My first home-build and still pretty kick ass. It's woolly.
Misc. Acoustic - Bought a chopped Acoustic head. I forget the number. It was like $20. It sucked.
*Custom Head - built a 100w high gain head. Can do metal without sounding all Mesa-y. Good rock tones too. Cannot do clean for shit.
Blackface Bassman - I miss this guy. It was given to me but later taken back. Weird amp, good for unhinged rock sounds.
*Tiny weird solid state - Bought for $10 at a swap meet. No name. One knob. It sounded shockingly awesome on bass until I blew the shit speaker. My friend described the overdrive as "like root beer fizz."
*JC-120 - Loud. Clean. I keep meaning to sell it, but I keep forgetting I own it. Want it?
Traynor TS-120 - Ok solid state head. It was oddly dark sounding. I couldn't get into it. Sold to FM Pepper
*Mesa 50/50 - All tube stereo 50W power amp. Not very colorful. I bought it to have something to plug preamps into. It's good at what it does, but the low-power mode is shittily implemented.
*GK 400rb - Cheap, couldn't pass it up. Sounds decent, good control scheme. Takes pedals very well. Dependable.
*'72 Ampeg V-2 - I've been using FM Caix's V-2 in Fake Limbs since we started but I finally found one of my own. I pulled the reverb and put a master volume on it (gasp! blasphemy!). Got it and an EVM-12L loaded 2x12 for $300. Hell yes.

I play through the Ampeg 2x12 with EVM-12Ls and another 2x12 designed by a friend loaded with Eminence Wizards. I've got a raw EVM-15L that needs a home as well as a raw Jensen Blackbird 12" that also needs a home. I have too much gear.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:53 pm

One Crate, then a long line of Acoustics, Peavey's, Kustoms and Marshalls. I've never owned a tube amp and I've never paid more than 150 bucks for an amp.
Last edited by Marsupialized on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Hiwatt on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Crate 60 watt solid state
Ampeg V2
Simms Watts 100
Some weird Marshall Mosfet head (not the 31-something that looks like a normal head. The one that's weird and narrow.)
Mesa MK2
Hiwatt Custom 100, 4 input*
Marshall Master Volume JMP MKII
Hiwatt Custom 20*

*=still have. No idea why I ditched the Ampeg or the Simms Watts. Hated the Mesa to no end. The Crate was my first and didn't stay long. Had a loaner amp called a Sundown. It looked like a Mesa but was horrendous.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby zom-zom on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Starting in 1974:
Fender Bassman 100
Sound City SMF Tour Series half-stack*
Ampeg VT-22
Bogen tube PA head*
Roland JC-120
Dean Markley Signature Series 60-watt tube head
Seymour Duncan 60-watt Convertible
Danelectro DM20*
Univox ULM6*
Marshall JCM800 50-watt 1X12 combo
Marshall Super Lead*
Ampeg Reverberocket 2*
Carlsbro TC40 2X12 combo*
Park Lead 1X12 combo*
Fender 75
Hiwatt Lead 50
Fender Deluxe Reverb*
Traynor TS25B*
Marshall Super Bass*
Sunn Concert Bass*
Sunn Coliseum 880*

*Still Have It

I think that covers it so far. Sold the Sound City head, kept the cabinet. Also bought an old Peavey 4X12, Marshall 4X12 bass cabinet. Probably forgot something.
Last edited by zom-zom on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Hiwatt on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:38 pm

zom-zom wrote:Starting in 1974:
Fender Bassman 100
Sound City SMF Tour Series half-stack*
Ampeg VT-22
Bogen tube PA head*
Roland JC-120
Dean Markley Signature Series 60-watt tube head
Seymour Duncan 60-watt Convertible
Danelectro DM20*
Univox ULM6*
Marshall JCM800 50-watt 1X12 combo
Marshall Super Lead*
Carlsbro TC40 2X12 combo*
Park Lead 1X12 combo*
Fender 75
Hiwatt Lead 50
Fender Deluxe Reverb*
Marshall Super Bass*
Sunn Concert Bass*
Sunn Coliseum 880*

*Still Have It

I think that covers it so far. Sold the Sound City head, kept the cabinet. Also bought an old Peavey 4X12, Marshall 4X12 bass cabinet. Probably forgot something.

How was that Hiwatt lead 50? I tried one out a few years ago and thought it was just ok. The dude wanted like $1200 for it and that was WAY too much so I passed.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby 154 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I went from a Marshall 1987x, silverface Bassman 60, Sovtek Mig-50, Fender Hot Rod Deville, Laney AOR-50, and an early 70s V-4b to a JC-120 (briefly) to a Peavey Musician 400 and now just a preamp pedal into a Traynor PM-100 power amp. By this time next year I think I'll just yell the guitar parts to people.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby zom-zom on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:42 pm

It was okay.. the "normal" channel really sounded like a good 50-watt Hiwatt.
The "lead" channel sounded sort of like a JCM800. They were both useable enough.

Yeah, I paid $400 for it, with a nice Fane. It's a PCB construction, and Hiwatt snobs won't even consider it to be a real Hiwatt, though it was made in England. I modified the power tube sockets by mounting them on the chassis instead of the circuit board for stability. It was really a good amp, sounded great and loud turned up, never had any problems with it once I got it set up right. I only sold it because I had too many amps.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Hiwatt on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:45 pm

zom-zom wrote:It was okay.. the "normal" channel really sounded like a good 50-watt Hiwatt.
The "lead" channel sounded sort of like a JCM800. They were both useable enough.

Yeah, I paid $400 for it, with a nice Fane. It's a PCB construction, and Hiwatt snobs won't even consider it to be a real Hiwatt, though it was made in England. I modified the power tube sockets by mounting them on the chassis instead of the circuit board for stability. It was really a good amp, sounded great and loud turned up, never had any problems with it once I got it set up right. I only sold it because I had too many amps.

Cool, then yours was working right. The lead channel on the one I tried sounded comically bad.

I forgot I also have a Laney AOR 30. It's not bad even though I am not the biggest fan of 6v6s.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby zom-zom on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 pm

Oh speaking of 6V6 I still have an Ampeg Reverberocket 2.. I converted it to 6V6s back when you couldn't find 7591s. Sounds better now too.. dirtier.
Deluxe Reverb is a 6V6 amp too, same with the Univox.

I really like the sound of those tubes.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby tallchris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:09 pm

* indicates what I still own:

Epiphone solid state crap combo
Vox Pathfinder 15
Music Man 112 65
*GK 400-RB
*Ampeg V4-B
Sovtek Mig 50
Guild Thunderstar Bass
Traynor TS-50B
*Fender Bassman (AA864 circuit)
Ampeg Jupiter
*Montgomery Ward 8420
*Marshall Super Lead
Ampeg VT-22
*Marshall JCM800 2204
Traynor YBA-3
Tweed Deluxe clone
*Orange AD30-HTC

The only thing I really regret getting rid of was the Music Man combo. The Super Lead really doesn't get used very much but I'll still hold on to it in case I end up playing guitar in some stupid loud band that needs that sort of wattage.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby 1009 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:20 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:Traynor TS-120 - Ok solid state head. It was oddly dark sounding. I couldn't get into it. Sold to FM Pepper

Who has this now? For some reason I thought he sold it to you.
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby tallchris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:22 pm

1009 wrote:
ldopa_chicago wrote:Traynor TS-120 - Ok solid state head. It was oddly dark sounding. I couldn't get into it. Sold to FM Pepper

I think FM yaledelay might have it.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:23 pm

1009 wrote:

I forget. Another FM, I believe.

That reminds me! I also used to own a Traynor PM-100, which I sold to FM 1009.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago

Postby 154 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:40 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:That reminds me! I also used to own a Traynor PM-100, which I sold to FM 1009.

Ah yes, that's the one I've been using (and, uh.. using as a computer 'desk' right this minute).

It's surprisingly loud with the right preamp combo.

Postby 1009 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 pm

154 wrote:
ldopa_chicago wrote:That reminds me! I also used to own a Traynor PM-100, which I sold to FM 1009.

Ah yes, that's the one I've been using (and, uh.. using as a computer 'desk' right this minute).

It's surprisingly loud with the right preamp combo.

And it looks great in its Emperor case!
Prime numbers and tonal clusters with Radiant Republic.

Bass in the Heavy Bombers We're on the PRF Singles Comp Q1.

Sax with Begin By Gathering Supplies.

Terrible News.
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby bishopdante on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Guitar:

acoustic guitar body (6 yrs & approx 8x guitars)

various cheap solid state small amps and a Rat pedal

ENGL E202 12 inch 100W combo, fully recallable like an SSL. Heavy sound, incredibly physically heavy amp, uncomfortable & exhausting to move up stairs even with two people). Eats 300W Electrovoice speakers like crazy and sometimes goes on the blink in an '80s computer sort of way. Discovered that the spring reverb was set into the base, so took it out to try to save some weight and and plugged in two rack effects processors, one in the effects loop and one in the reverb, so recallable return level on one of the effects processors.

Selmer 50W Treble & bass tweed head + DIY 4x12. Bought very sad & rebuilt. Verdict: remarkably wooly. OK clean sound. Surprisingly loud, sounds rubbish quiet. Ditched that plan after about a week.

Rack of assorted valve preamps & effects processors + 120W (ish) per channel stereo Samson Servo somebody threw out of a control room into 1x 4x12 Marshall reissue plexi slanted cab, 1x Orange 4x12 cab. Direct into the PA/desk is good if you do it properly and you have a decent engineer / monitors, so don't have to lug cabs and power amp around if you want to carry much less stuff (4u double-ended rack with gear in both ends of the case). Later added a dual 150W rackmount marshall valve power amp, but didn't find it to be a substantial improvement for guitar, not that it wasn't decent sounding, and turned an uncomfortable rack into a horrifically dangerous to lift rack, so used it to power some Kef hifi speakers in the studio as relief from the Genelecs. Line / instrument outputs means that you can, if need be, hijack a lot of amplifiers, hifis, PAs, whatever. This is a good thing, and is much better than running into the same PA as the vocals/drums etc. Also added a Mesa Boogie road ready 1516BE, which was absurdly heavy and nearly killed us on the stairs every time we took it out of the studio.

Mesa Boogie V-twin pedal and whatever is there – goes in a gig bag and will always get you something you can use. Can even make a plastic Carlsbro nightmare amp sound good. Problem: potentially silent.

Apple Macbook Pro, MOTU 896HD running 5 discrete outputs into: 2x Marshall 50W head > 2x 4x12 straight cab, Ashdown Klystron Bass Magnifier 400W head > 4x10 + 1x15 Trace Elliot cabinets w/mongrel mismatched speakers selected via survival of the fittest, whatever is available within 10 minutes drive of wherever the speaker blew up, or nabbed from something dead, plus 2x 2x15 self powered 2kW PA bassbins, 2x10" + 1" compression driver PA top boxes.

Apple Macbook Pro, MOTU 896HD running 8 discrete outputs into:, reboxed ENGL E202 head w/arduino control hacks > 4x8" open-back column, Ashdown Klystron Bass Magnifier 400W > 2x10" fourth order bandpass 800W DIY bass bin + 1x10" Faital 700W DIY sealed cab, Peavey 1200W solid state stereo amp > 2x12" 2kW stereo input hybrid rear loaded horn / transmission line DIY cabinet, Crest stereo 650W power amp > 2x 1x10" 350W beyma DIY bass-reflex cabinet, Wharfedale 50W Hifi amp > 2x midrange compression horns + 2x tweeter compression horn. For extra "oomph", rent in a d&b J-series infra-sub.

__

It can do a pretty passable "classic rock" sound if you really want that, but that's not what I use it for.
Last edited by bishopdante on Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Amps I have gigged with and no longer have:

Peavey Backstage 30
Blackface Dual Showman
Borrowed Peavey (don't remember the model but it was a combo and loud enough to gig with)
Borrowed Sundown 1x12 combo
Vox AC-15
Silverface Fender Twin
Ampeg B-15
Blonde Fender Pro

Amps I still own:

Modified Masco MA-18 PA head with homemade 2x12 cab
'64 Standel Custom "Transistorized" -Been my main amp for about 4 years and I love it.
Traynor TS-120b w/ Acoustic 1x15 cab - Use this on the rare occasion I play bass.
Traynor TS-25 - Got this over the summer. I play it in a sort of pickup surf band. Awesome.

Small amps I own but don't gig with
1932 Rickenbacher "black metal box". Earliest version with the 1W house fuse and field coil speaker.
Late 30's Rickenbacker 1x12.
1950's Rickenbacker Electro 1x10. Amazing sounding amp! Just fucking insanely good.
Early 50's little Carvin. KInd of like a champ. I need to get the speaker re-coned.

I'd love to get a Traynor TS-100 or 140 and another Standel but I'm totally happy with my amps right now.
elisha wiesner

Postby Johnny Switchblade on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Don't mind if I do:

Gorilla GB-30 (with a Digitech BP-200 in front of it)
Kustom Tube 12 (combo) - not that bad
Ampeg B-50R (bass combo) - pretty good
Fender Pro Jr. - great
Tech21 Trademark 10 - very good-to-great says me
'65-ish(?) Gibson Skylark Tremolo (Mullard power tubes)* - isn't doing it for me lately
'66--ish(?) Hilgen Basso Grande head (running through an old Altair attenuator)*
Ampeg V2 cabinet (a very mysterious 2x15 example)
'66-ish Silvertone 1464 head* - love it
'65-ish Gibson Atlas IV 1x15 cabinet (70's CTS speaker installed, 60's Jenson C-15 in the closet)*
'70-whatever Fender PA 135 head* - good bass head, loud

(*still have it)

Part of me wants to unload everything but the 1464 and Atlas cab, and part of me thinks I'll regret getting rid of all the toooobs.
Johnny Switchblade
rookie
rookie

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:23 pm

Squier practice amp

Peavey Studio Chorus 210 (First real amp I bought, either $70 or $90 used or something at Daddy's Junky Music on Mass. Ave. Loud and the built-in chorus is great if you want to be Bob Mould.)

Traynor TS-25 (hands down my favorite amp I've ever played. Doesn't have a line out though. $50 from dude on Craigslist.)

Traynor TS-50b w/ TS-115 cab (primarily used for tuba in Korean Jeans. $100 from a dude in Fall River, MA.)

Traynor TS-15 (Bought from FM Carl for $5 as it made a weird flubbing sound. Swapped out the capacitors and it works like a charm. I should probably take this in to get grounded.)

Traynor PM-100 (Bought from FM Major. Haven't used much, but will probably see use once KJ starts touring again.)

I still own all of these amps and they've all seen some action for shows. Maybe the TS-25 didn't, but it will at some point. Would love to find a TS-140 combo one of these days...
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room