home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

what're you buyin', what's on its way?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: what're you buyin', what's on its way?

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:56 pm

I'd have to plug it in to remind myself. One of them is a leslie effect IIRC. The pedal is about a hundred times better as a stereo effect so it's odd that this would be mono.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby landspeednyc on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm

savineis wrote:Image

Congrats- I probably would've bought that one if I hadn't been on a plane when Kevin posted it!
landspeednyc
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby savineis on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:45 pm

tallchris wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:That's legit. So much for them putting stuff up on their Reverb shop first i guess?

I got mine from one of EGC’s Facebook post!

Actually this one went on Reverb same time that it was posted to Instagram.

For real though, follow them on Instagram if you want to get deets on this stuff before it goes to Reverb.

I had already paid for it on Reverb before I saw the Instagram.

I've said a million times I've always wanted a TB1000, but they're so far out of the realm of sane prices at this point that I could never comfortably play it out somewhere. In my lifetime an original will fetch 10-12 thousand regularly. Even this was expensive, but it wasn't 4-5 grand, and it's a little more unique than the average TB, etc.

I had to have it when I saw it and I bought it immediately.

Anyways, the resonance of the hollow aluminum body with the just flat-out fucking amazing Travis Bean humbuckers is such a superb combination. And the shape is that of a TB1000 but also closely mimics my all-time favorite Gibson guitar, the 335-S, to the point where I almost immediately got comfortable with it.

Still getting used to aluminum again but I love banging around on this thing. Kind of wish Kevin still did the wood bodies for EGCs. I think it'd balance a little better. The body, just being two plates really, is so light, you have to get a wide, weird strap to counteract the neck dive.

I'm thinking I may fill the body with some weight. This thing is oddly light. Like 8-9 lbs.
savineis
convert
convert

Postby hylje on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 am

Boombats wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Boombats wrote:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/tc-electronic-3rd-dimension-chorus-effects-pedal/k47847000000000?_requestid=882243

psyched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZs63IUgTw0

Is this a Dimension C clone? Like the Behringer was but in a sturdier package with true bypass?

Yep! I don't know anything about the circuitry, but in function at least it seems to be the same. And I dunno about the Behringer, but this is analog.

It is a Dimension C clone, and it is essentially Behringer because Behringer owns TC Electronic. It is probably better made and sturdier than the old Behringer stuff.
I'm also going to get one at some point.
hylje
casio
casio

Postby bdm on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 pm

I just paid for what might be the best sounding Marshall JMP 2203 in the world.
bdm
rose royce
rose royce

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Found this at a not crazy price at all, probably because there’s no modulation, which I am 100% cool with. I’m pretty suspicious of these delays generally, but dude sent me a video of the pedal and it sounds like a Memory Man and it’s not noisey or anything. I even have a TB loop somewhere around here... I’m assuming it’s got one of those preamps that are always on.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Tommy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Image

Found this at a not crazy price at all, probably because there’s no modulation, which I am 100% cool with. I’m pretty suspicious of these delays generally, but dude sent me a video of the pedal and it sounds like a Memory Man and it’s not noisey or anything. I even have a TB loop somewhere around here... I’m assuming it’s got one of those preamps that are always on.

It does. A TB looper might work for you. I find that I want the MM set cleaner and that results in a level mismatch (just like the true bypass on the new ones do). You can also just try it as-is and you might like the preamp sound on all the time. Lots of people do. I do not. It is definitely better if you have a buffered pedal between your guitar and the MM.

My $0.02:
I've said it on here before, but here it is again in more detail...
I'm a long time DMM user and here's what I've found works for me and sounds the best. Use a Boss LS-2. If you don't have one, buy one from GC and keep the receipt, to return it. Anyway, run the send from channel A to the input of the MM. Run the MM Echo Out to the LS-2 A Return. Leave the input and output of Channel B alone, you don't need a jumper. Set LS-2 switch for Mix. Start with A + B levels at noon and engage pedal. Play notes on the guitar and turn input level on MM so that the red light blinks on occasionally if you dig in hard. Rotate the blend Knob all the way wet (or close). Now back off Volume A on the LS-2 until you have the balance you want. If you want your echoes distorted, turn up the MM level and back off A. if you want them cleaner, back off the MM level and up Volume A. No idea what Squealch does!

Have fun.
Tommy

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:25 pm

That sounds like a cool trick! I’ve been chasing the dragon with these pedals as I’ve never been able to find one that sounded like my friend’s. I didn’t like the always on preamp on another one I had, but I would have been able to live with it if the echos sounded as good as his.
I then got into DOD 680s which I like a lot for a fake reverb/slap back that sounds better to me than a real Fender reverb, but the DOD is one thing and a Memory Man is another.
Guess I need to start looking for a cheap LS-2.
Last edited by llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Tommy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:56 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:That sounds like a cool trick!

That trick is also excellent for bass distortion. Adds parallel adjustable dry to any distortion you already have, leaving the low end in tact.
Tommy

Postby Stinky Pete on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm

FLANGER HOAXXXXX

No idea why. Well I do, I got 60 quid and I offered the guy 60 quid. Ordered a power supply for it. Not sure what I'm expecting.
Stinky Pete
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby endofanera on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Stinky Pete wrote:FLANGER HOAXXXXX

I normally don't get that excited about EHX stuff, but I do love these oddball items that crop up from time to time. Perhaps I am just ignorant and these are common as dirt, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

I look forward to your full report.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

endofanera wrote:
Stinky Pete wrote:FLANGER HOAXXXXX

I normally don't get that excited about EHX stuff, but I do love these oddball items that crop up from time to time. Perhaps I am just ignorant and these are common as dirt, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

I look forward to your full report.

These pedals are really cool. Tons of sounds in it, many of them not typical flange sounds. I sold mine because I was a kid but I kind of keep an eye out for cheap ones every once in a while.
I remember doing a reasonable Black Dice impression when combing it with the loop function on the Line 6 DL-4.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Stinky Pete on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Flanger Hoax is more of a phaser than a flanger to my mind (Thus the hoax, I guess). By that I mean I feel the allpass filters dictate more of the sound than the delay lines do. It's very wacky, and the preset LFO settings from DC to various quads is interesting if ironically limiting. But the dual peak quality of the quad offset LFO is a big part of this things sound, and it's a cool one. Is it worth the shelf price? No, but it's a cool toy and definitely worth picking up 2nd hand.

It's a little noisier than I expected and it also has a bit of a volume drop. However on synth sequences like from my Mother 32, it's the absolute bomb - esp. into a distortion or delay pedal. High feedback Flanger Hoax settings really shine in that scenario. It's currently in my rig for my aux into my amp, as I run sequences between chunks of our set for tuning - chopped up loops and bits of music. It's definitely cool as fuck there, esp with the other guitarists delay pedal imploding on the other side of the stage.

It's coming on a recording session with me in 2 days and we'll see if the band can get their head around it. Fun toy to mess with either way.
Stinky Pete
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby jbar on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Sold some crap. Bought a Boxidizer.
jbar
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby Evanc521 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Just picked up one of those Walrus Audio Red pedals after the put them on sale. First impressions are that it is a pretty decent HM-2 clone. Much more usable gain control, serviceable 3-band EQ, and way more volume on tap. I will probably swap this out for my old HM-2 on my bass board. If you can get one of these for cheap it is well worth the money.
Evanc521
francis bacon
francis bacon

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:01 pm

jbar wrote:Sold some crap. Bought a Boxidizer.

nice!
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Raa on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:03 am

Evanc521 wrote:Just picked up one of those Walrus Audio Red pedals after the put them on sale. First impressions are that it is a pretty decent HM-2 clone. Much more usable gain control, serviceable 3-band EQ, and way more volume on tap. I will probably swap this out for my old HM-2 on my bass board. If you can get one of these for cheap it is well worth the money.

I have one of those Arion copies for my extreme metal guitar sound needs but if I wasn't fuzzy obsessive right now and I was looking at HM-2 "clone" I'd get this mean thing from Russia -

https://reverb.com/item/7504231-xix-tec ... e-shipping

Raa
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby ldopa_chicago on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:07 am

Raa wrote:
Evanc521 wrote:Just picked up one of those Walrus Audio Red pedals after the put them on sale. First impressions are that it is a pretty decent HM-2 clone. Much more usable gain control, serviceable 3-band EQ, and way more volume on tap. I will probably swap this out for my old HM-2 on my bass board. If you can get one of these for cheap it is well worth the money.

I have one of those Arion copies for my extreme metal guitar sound needs but if I wasn't fuzzy obsessive right now and I was looking at HM-2 "clone" I'd get this mean thing from Russia -

Huh. I listened to both the HMD-1 and the Red and the Red sounds waaaaaay better to my ears. The HMD-1 sounded fizzy and undefined under basically all conditions. I would strongly consider buying a Red for my dumbshit metal tone needs (which I occasionally have).
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jbar on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:50 am

elisha wiesner wrote:
jbar wrote:Sold some crap. Bought a Boxidizer.

nice!

Yea, I'm pretty excited about it.
jbar
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby Evanc521 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am

ldopa_chicago wrote:
Raa wrote:

Huh. I listened to both the HMD-1 and the Red and the Red sounds waaaaaay better to my ears. The HMD-1 sounded fizzy and undefined under basically all conditions. I would strongly consider buying a Red for my dumbshit metal tone needs (which I occasionally have).

I looked at the HMD-1 too, It seems like it'd be great for the Entomed-type of stuff, but it seemed to lack a lot of the low-end and midrange that the Red has. Also, for that much you might as well go with the Left-Hand Wraith, that thing is amazing.
Evanc521
francis bacon
francis bacon

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room