home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Show Us Yr Guitars !!!!

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Show Us Yr Guitars !!!!

Postby Tommy on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:This kind of comes up in my house all the time. "Well, I bought it for x but I could sell it for x."

Oh, I know this one well. A couple of exes ago would say, "Even better. So sell it for X then."
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby agiant on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:12 pm

endofanera wrote:
honeyisfunny wrote:I doubt the combined price of what I paid for all of mine would buy the TB500 I sold in the early 2000s these days to be honest.

The first step is finding a complex mathematical workaround justification to explain why it's not a problem.

Mr Gallo won the Fields Medal.
blah
agiant
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby eliya on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 pm

agiant wrote:
endofanera wrote:
honeyisfunny wrote:I doubt the combined price of what I paid for all of mine would buy the TB500 I sold in the early 2000s these days to be honest.

The first step is finding a complex mathematical workaround justification to explain why it's not a problem.

Mr Gallo won the Fields Medal.

I LOLed hard at this
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:07 am

I'm gonna have to start selling some off very soon.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 154 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 am

I was second guessing my spontaneous purchase of this cheap Tele knockoff from a few weeks back, until it occurred to me to put baritone strings on it. Perfect guitar for it.

Postby MatthewK on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 am

Well - I got a pretty good deal on this so I went for it out of pure curiosity - I have an early A serial Fender Japan JM, and an SQ serial Squier Tele, and now I've crossed the threshold into JV territory (and 1982, the initial run of guitars with the large Squier on the headstock). Next stop Fender JV I suppose, but I'd need to sell my car or something.
Anyway, this is BEAUTIFULLY made, dark rosewood neck, frets in good shape, but must have been played a lot given the wear on the output jack plate. Basswood body I think, I've seen a photo of the neck pocket (10/82) but didn't open it to check myself.
When it arrived it sounded kind of weird, with a strange almost distorted overtone to the clean sound. When I switched the strings for my usual 11s / wound 3rd, I discovered the nut was loose. A couple dots of superglue and it's all snug and clean-sounding. Wonder how long it had sounded bad.
Neck's lovely, body contours are so slick and the only non-original thing is a DiMarzio something bridge pickup. I'm not a Strat guy but I am for this and my '77 Greco.
One thing I find interesting is that in 1982, this was a replica of a '62 Strat, which was a 20 year old guitar at the time. But now this Squier is 35 years old, even more vintage than its inspiration. And I'd say it was built with the same care and skill as the original.
MatthewK
kareem abdul jabbar
kareem abdul jabbar

Postby agiant on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am

Nice stratocaster!

I modified my classic vibe, I put a gibson humbucker.

blah
agiant
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 pm

154 wrote:I was second guessing my spontaneous purchase of this cheap Tele knockoff from a few weeks back, until it occurred to me to put baritone strings on it. Perfect guitar for it.

"Current Events" bump.

Thought this could be the right spot for potential discussion along this line without gumming up the "Electrical" thread over in the other sub-forum.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 pm

- Stuff from the other thread...

offal wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:FMRM, in my experience the only aggravation you'll run into is having to have the slots in the nut widened.

Seriously? Man, I gotta try it then. I just assumed it would be some flabby ass garbage tone.
You don't even adjust the truss rod or anything?

Oh, you need a setup most likely. I just meant the only out of the ordinary thing is the nut adjustment.

In related news, our guitar player in Laurium plays the G&L versions of the Tele (the ASAT) and we tune down to drop-B, for what it's worth. His guitars are also stock -- just uses thicker strings with a proper set-up. Both of his ASATs have single coils (one Tele style, one P-90 style). Plenty of clarity with no flabby lows.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:20 pm

numberthirty wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah it's a standard pickup configuration. What kind of replacements are you talking about? I replaces my lawsuit J-Bass p/u's with some Fralins and holy shit that bass is totally legit now.

I didn't have anything in particular in mind.

Just noting what you finished up with about the difference a set that isn't stock can make.

In addition to that, you wouldn't just be stuck with "Better Version Of Stock" anymore. There are all sorts of choices that you can replace the standard Tele bridge and neck out there now. Most with no headaches. Opens up the possibilities for a modest Tele winding up being more like whatever you might be thinking about.
numberthirty

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 am

numberthirty wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah it's a standard pickup configuration. What kind of replacements are you talking about? I replaces my lawsuit J-Bass p/u's with some Fralins and holy shit that bass is totally legit now.

I didn't have anything in particular in mind.

Just noting what you finished up with about the difference a set that isn't stock can make.

In addition to that, you wouldn't just be stuck with "Better Version Of Stock" anymore. There are all sorts of choices that you can replace the standard Tele bridge and neck out there now. Most with no headaches. Opens up the possibilities for a modest Tele winding up being more like whatever you might be thinking about.

I'm gonna look into it. But if i can sell the Hagstrom and the Tele, I might as well put it down on a EGC. :oops:
Yeah, I'm one of those guys now.
Riff Magnum
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby duskyamp on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm

EGC Black Friday special neck. Warmoth seafoam green jazzmaster body. Mojotone "Johnny Winter" Firebird pickups. EGC Humbucker. Mastery bridge + tremolo.

Put it together myself. Gonna keep it, for now. You probably couldn't offer what it's worth to me anyway.
I design and build stuff for musicians at Dusky Electronics.
I play guitar in Woodvamp.
duskyamp
envoy
envoy

Postby Antero on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:12 pm

duskyamp wrote:EGC Black Friday special neck. Warmoth seafoam green jazzmaster body. Mojotone "Johnny Winter" Firebird pickups. EGC Humbucker. Mastery bridge + tremolo.

Put it together myself. Gonna keep it, for now. You probably couldn't offer what it's worth to me anyway.

It ain't loading, which is a shame because I really want to see that thing.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:09 am

Antero wrote:
duskyamp wrote:EGC Black Friday special neck. Warmoth seafoam green jazzmaster body. Mojotone "Johnny Winter" Firebird pickups. EGC Humbucker. Mastery bridge + tremolo.

It ain't loading, which is a shame because I really want to see that thing.

That bit in red is where I just started nodding "Yes!" all to myself.
numberthirty

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:54 pm

I just picked up this 1984 Charvel cheap with the intention of re-selling it but I totally love it.

elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Antero on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:35 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:I just picked up this 1984 Charvel cheap with the intention of re-selling it but I totally love it.

what an interesting/weird pickup arrangement!
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby elisha wiesner on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Yeah, it's definitely odd but I'm really liking it. The neck and middle pickups together sound fantastic.
elisha wiesner

Postby honeyisfunny on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:52 am

Got my Hi Flier painted green. It's pretty.

chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny

Postby Madman Munt on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:05 am

Antero wrote:what an interesting/weird pickup arrangement!

I put that same arrangement in a guitar years and years ago. I can't recommend it. The bridge pickup got hardly any use and the middle got in the way of my picking. I reckon single coil neck/hb bridge is a better way to go.

But that Charvel looks proper nice.
Madman Munt
moms mabley
moms mabley

Postby Mason on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am

honeyisfunny wrote:Got my Hi Flier painted green. It's pretty.

Definitely.

One of my Hi-Flier's flaws is that the body is starting to split. The last guy stripped the original finish, so I'm thinking once I have it repaired (wood glue? I don't know yet) I might have it refinished to disguise any obvious work. I was already leaning Sherwood Green and this is helping that.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room