home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Little tech questions from your day

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Little tech questions from your day

Postby Mason on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
Mason wrote:My interface was rocking a buffer of 48 samples.

Recording attempt no. 2 came last night. Everything was set perfectly, no discrepancies between interface and project.

Still skipped.

I was worried that'd happen again somehow, so I'd installed Waves Tracks Live. I quickly built up a session file there and recorded a take. Wandered back to the monitor to find that recording had fully stopped mid-take. WTL was at least courteous enough to throw up an error message: there was a disk write error, my drive was writing too slow to keep up. Recorded a more intensive album just fine this summer, etc. etc., but whatever okay sure.

I'd asked my bandmate to bring his computer as a second backup, so we switched to that and got through recording just fine.

There's probably a way to solve this problem—write to an external SSD or something—but I've low-key hated this computer since I picked it up so I'll use the opportunity to build me a proper computer for recording.

Thanks, all.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby eliya on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Was the computer still getting all the vibrations from the amps? I know your friend's Mac worked, but I'm curious now.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mason on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:26 pm

That's my guess, a day and a bit of reflection later. It was on a much sturdier surface this time, but maybe it wasn't enough.

I spent zero time on diagnostics this time—we had backups at the ready and a limited amount of recording time, and I just wanted to not turf the session a second time. And I've been mad at this computer for other reasons anyway, so I'm more than content to save up for a new computer, stacked with SSDs, and not dwell on this problem anymore. Sorry, the scientific method.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby owen on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm

Anyone got a reccomendation for a pedal that acts similar to this?

http://www.electronicaudioexperiments.com/beholder

(Granted I don't know exactly how this pedal sounds, but the idea of it intrigues me greatly.)
owen
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Pure L on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Mason wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:
Mason wrote:My interface was rocking a buffer of 48 samples.

Recording attempt no. 2 came last night. Everything was set perfectly, no discrepancies between interface and project.

Still skipped.

I was worried that'd happen again somehow, so I'd installed Waves Tracks Live. I quickly built up a session file there and recorded a take. Wandered back to the monitor to find that recording had fully stopped mid-take. WTL was at least courteous enough to throw up an error message: there was a disk write error, my drive was writing too slow to keep up. Recorded a more intensive album just fine this summer, etc. etc., but whatever okay sure.

I'd asked my bandmate to bring his computer as a second backup, so we switched to that and got through recording just fine.

There's probably a way to solve this problem—write to an external SSD or something—but I've low-key hated this computer since I picked it up so I'll use the opportunity to build me a proper computer for recording.

Thanks, all.

I had a similar problem, Mason.

phpBB [media]

Installed an internal SSD. Works like a charm.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Guild HB-1 in bridge position, as far as I know wired with the original 200k tone pot and .01 cap. Tone knob either does nothing or, when turned down way more, creates a hideous wah-like honk when using the bridge pickup by itself. I think it's intended for use blended with the neck pickup out of phase, to provide an ugly frequency that'll be cut out by the phase inversion. However, I'd like to use the pickup by itself. It's just a low-powered humbucker like a T-top or a Duncan '78.

I was thinking 500k and either .033, .047 or .068. Opinions? Especially from folks who are experienced with these pickups?
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:59 am

Not really a tech question, and probably more rhetorical than anything, but this seems like the best place to put it...

I see all these amp manufacturers with gimmicky looking designs and features that nobody would ever seriously use, and I wonder, who buys these things? I never see anybody gigging with a Warhead or EVH or Krank head.

I have a theory that these amps are built solely for the craigslist market. Nobody has ever bought one of these new from a brick-and-mortar store. The manufacturers just sell them on CL right after they're built, posing as owners, where they get traded around a 50 mile radius for a year or two until they break.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Adam P on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am

Nate Dort wrote:I wonder, who buys these things?

High-gain metal dudes who get them at cost.
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 am

Have you ever seen that Instagram account "rigsofdad"? Its all those kind of people. I by that I dont mean dads, i mean guys that buy new, "advanced" equipment and set up their own dream rig in their spare bedroom and it never leaves. They have spare money, space, and most importantly are tragically unhip to what is good and what is modern crap. I have a good friend whose dad plays and when we were in high school he had all this early 90s crap thats the equivalent of a Krank, etc, and yet sitting in the closet unused was his ES-335 and Super Reverb that he bought new in 1965. Insanity.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:20 am

Nate Dort wrote:I see all these amp manufacturers with gimmicky looking designs and features that nobody would ever seriously use, and I wonder, who buys these things? I never see anybody gigging with a Warhead or EVH or Krank head.

I think you have to take into account that we are by far in the minority when it comes to taste in gear.
I would wager that many of us rarely buy new gear period and certainly not a new amp (with the exception of the Quilter nerds). That means we are hardly the target market for. There are plenty of people who listen to way different music than me who lust after all sorts of gear that baffles me. Just do a youtube search for Krank amp and there is their target market: uncool metalheads, apparently.
With respect to the EVH, the original 5150 was a revered head among the high-gain crowd.

Queensryche has sold a lot more records than Shellac...
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Oh, I get that there's almost no overlap there. It's just funny to me that I only ever see these things on CL and never in the wild.
Nate Dort

Postby Tommy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:35 pm

Nate Dort wrote:Oh, I get that there's almost no overlap there. It's just funny to me that I only ever see these things on CL and never in the wild.

You obviously aren't seeing any small town cover bands! Because that is also exactly where these things live.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby twelvepoint on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Have you ever seen that Instagram account "rigsofdad"? Its all those kind of people. I by that I dont mean dads, i mean guys that buy new, "advanced" equipment and set up their own dream rig in their spare bedroom and it never leaves. They have spare money, space, and most importantly are tragically unhip to what is good and what is modern crap. I have a good friend whose dad plays and when we were in high school he had all this early 90s crap thats the equivalent of a Krank, etc, and yet sitting in the closet unused was his ES-335 and Super Reverb that he bought new in 1965. Insanity.

Best Insta account ever.
twelvepoint
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Adam P on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a Warhead in the wild. I have seen a few extreme metal bands playing Kranks, and the 5150/5150 II was ubiquitous 10-15 years ago.
Adam P

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Goddamnit, now I'm seeing facebook ads for Randall Warhead stacks on reverb.com.

I get what I deserve.
Nate Dort

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 pm

There are tons of people out there playing djent and metalcore. There's a resurgence in it now, too. Head over to the 7 string forum and watch them discuss the relative merits of Engl, Fryette, Bogner, etc if you like.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby eliya on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:30 pm

How much would it cost to have someone drill a metal box (slightly larger than a stompbox) for six Neutrik XLR jacks, a stomp switch, and a DC jack? I can do it with a drill press but it would take me too long. How much would a metal shop/CNC shop charge for something like that?
eliya

Postby numberthirty on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:I see all these amp manufacturers with gimmicky looking designs and features that nobody would ever seriously use, and I wonder, who buys these things? I never see anybody gigging with a Warhead or EVH or Krank head.

I think you have to take into account that we are by far in the minority when it comes to taste in gear.
I would wager that many of us rarely buy new gear period and certainly not a new amp (with the exception of the Quilter nerds). That means we are hardly the target market for. There are plenty of people who listen to way different music than me who lust after all sorts of gear that baffles me. Just do a youtube search for Krank amp and there is their target market: uncool metalheads, apparently.
With respect to the EVH, the original 5150 was a revered head among the high-gain crowd.

Queensryche has sold a lot more records than Shellac...

Real Talk -

A friend/band mate of my brother's had that first 5150. A few folks borrowed it for shows where they needed a bigger amp. It is vastly underrated as an amp. While it can certainly sound truly, truly terrible, it can also sound great and is a pretty sturdy "Shows" amp.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 pm

My biggest worry would be getting parts for a Warhead.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 am

I have a few friends who admit that their coming of age on guitar was figuring out that you don’t necessarily turn up the gain on the 5150 all the way up. It was the hot shit high school amp for rich kids in my day.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room