home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Little tech questions from your day

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Little tech questions from your day

Postby scrotescape on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:52 am

Penn-elcom has prepunched
For xlr enclosures to minimize holes needing drilled/aligned.

If you layed out where the holes go with center punches and labeled the size bit/die, I think it would be $30 or less if you could find a local place:no less than $50 (hours labor) with just a drawing and unmarked enclosure...if you went through the trouble of layout you may as well punch the holes.

Cheapest would be to find a local handyperson/ college/tradeschool
Shop, with hungry talented folks. I was an attendant at Columbia college model shop as financial aid/work on campus; wish I still had access to those tools.

Front panel express will tell you cost estimate in their free cad layout software, plus shipping cost toand 'fro. And will be as good as your layout design.

by eliya on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 pm

How much would it cost to have someone drill a metal box (slightly larger than a stompbox) for six Neutrik XLR jacks, a stomp switch, and a DC jack? I can do it with a drill press but it would take me too long. How much would a metal shop/CNC shop charge for something like that?
scrotescape
padre
padre

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

eliya wrote:How much would it cost to have someone drill a metal box (slightly larger than a stompbox) for six Neutrik XLR jacks, a stomp switch, and a DC jack? I can do it with a drill press but it would take me too long. How much would a metal shop/CNC shop charge for something like that?

Maybe I'm confused...are the XLR jacks abnormally large or not round or something? This sounds like a fifteen minute affair with a drill press just laying out and drilling eight holes.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby bishopdante on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Pure L wrote:I had a similar problem, Mason.

phpBB [media]

Installed an internal SSD. Works like a charm.

That's hilarious. I have seen people yelling at various sorts of precision electromechanical equipment and can confirm that it doesn't help.

If you were to work out how many nanometers each bit or byte occupies, and how much sound energy is required to throw off a read or write, it might well be cause for concern.

phpBB [media]

Pretty intriguing that simply not using all the screws can cause problems.

_______

I wonder if sticking a chunk of dynamat to a hard drive would help? Some drives I have noticed have small dynamat-like rubberish pads stuck to the cover plates.

Also have noticed that Panasonic toughbooks used some pretty interesting rubber bushings and foam rubber isolators to house the hard drives, and have habitually placed computers and/or hard drives on a few inches of foam rubber in noisy environments for over two decades now.

Obv 100% solid state storage gear is an easy fix.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby eliya on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
eliya wrote:How much would it cost to have someone drill a metal box (slightly larger than a stompbox) for six Neutrik XLR jacks, a stomp switch, and a DC jack? I can do it with a drill press but it would take me too long. How much would a metal shop/CNC shop charge for something like that?

Maybe I'm confused...are the XLR jacks abnormally large or not round or something? This sounds like a fifteen minute affair with a drill press just laying out and drilling eight holes.

Holes for XLR jacks are almost a full inch in diameter, and they have the two diagonal holes for the mounting screws which can be a bit of a pain to align right. Anyway, because the holes are so big, you must use progressively larger drill bits (because trying to drill a one inch hole through an 1/8" of metal will burn the bit real fast).

I've done this before with a drill press and it took longer than I care to admit, and the result wasn't as neat as it would have been if a professional had done it. If I can get a local metal shop to do it for $30-$50 then I'll do that.

The Penn-Elcom recommendation is great! They have a pre-punched panel for less than $7. If they also have an enclosure for it then I'm golden.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Adam P on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:45 pm

What exactly are you looking to build?
Adam P

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 am

Drilling 1" holes is hardly difficult with a step bit, tho. Get a Hammond stompbox enclosure the size that you need, and a cheap step bit that goes up to 1" and this problem is solved cheaply and quickly.

I could do this for you easily but that's literally all I'd be doing. Still don't see why it would need to go to a fabricator.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls

Postby scrotescape on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm

scrotescape
padre
padre

Postby steve on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:51 pm

If you want a proper front panel with legends and all, there are places like this that will do it for you. They're more expensive than doing it yourself but you get a nice professional panel with whatever you want for holes and graphics and mounting.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby eliya on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Yeah, I'm familiar with Front Panel Express. They do great job, but are more than what I'm willing to pay for this project.

The eBay link is pretty great. I'll probably do that. Also, of course, step bit. Thank everyone!

It's for a switch box with relays to switch a subwoofer on and off.
eliya

Postby andyman on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Should the bridge pickup on an SG be noticeably lower in volume than the neck pickup?... :(
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 pm

andyman wrote:Should the bridge pickup on an SG be noticeably lower in volume than the neck pickup?... :(

Unless they're extremely badly adjusted height-wise, no. Try swapping them around?
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby andyman on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:03 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:
andyman wrote:Should the bridge pickup on an SG be noticeably lower in volume than the neck pickup?... :(

Unless they're extremely badly adjusted height-wise, no. Try swapping them around?

The bridge is up nearly as high as it'll go and the neck is almost in the body, There's a noticeable boost in presence when I switch up to the neck pickup.

Aw fuck :(
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:23 pm

andyman wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:

The bridge is up nearly as high as it'll go and the neck is almost in the body, There's a noticeable boost in presence when I switch up to the neck pickup.

Aw fuck :(

Yeah, that's not right. I would try switching their positions and see if that evens things out a bit. Quick and easy test.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby andyman on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Out of curiosity, why switch the positions: you think the factory may have mixed them up?

In any case, tracking down where it's gone "weak" is not going to be black and white.... hoy
andyman

Postby andyman on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

andyman wrote:Out of curiosity, why switch the positions: you think the factory may have mixed them up?

In any case, tracking down where it's gone "weak" is not going to be black and white.... hoy

OK, so I may have jumped the gun a tad. I looked up the recommended Gibson height measurements and the guy was playing with the bridge waaaaay below where it should be. It's pretty fucking close to the strings now and sounds reasonable closer to the neck pickup, though the latter still seems to have it slightly beat on volume. I dunno, maybe it's just the bass response. It mainly sounded lacking in balls and I'll need to play around with it more tomorrow.
andyman

Postby eliya on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 am

I have seen a lot of guitars with the neck pickup louder than the bridge. Lower that neck pickup. You don't want your pickups super close to the strings because it'll make the guitar buzz, and also you're taking the pickup out of its sweet spot when it's so close to the strings.

I don't think of bridge pickups as ballsy. They're sharp and cut through. I always think neck pickups sound better than the neck pickups if you play on your own, but in a band it becomes a mess.
eliya

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am

Larry Cragg likes to do what Eliya just said - neck pickup down low, bridge pickup up high. He mentioned that when I bought a set of pickups from him.

Besides obvious things like pickup height, amp settings are another important consideration. If you’re used to single coils you have an easier time switching around with your amp set hot. When you’re playing with humbuckers and have a rock guitar sound a lot of people will play rhythm on the bridge and then switch to the neck for leads.
That’s how things always work with my EGC. Much different when you play clean. Dialing in an appropriate amount of treble to make the neck pickup work can make the bridge pickup sound worse, unless you use it in combination with a pedal set dark.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby andyman on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

eliya wrote:I have seen a lot of guitars with the neck pickup louder than the bridge. Lower that neck pickup. You don't want your pickups super close to the strings because it'll make the guitar buzz, and also you're taking the pickup out of its sweet spot when it's so close to the strings.

I don't think of bridge pickups as ballsy. They're sharp and cut through. I always think neck pickups sound better than the neck pickups if you play on your own, but in a band it becomes a mess.

Thing is, hotly wound bridge pickups have a certain drive to go with that cutting which is what was lacking (the bridge pickup in the J Mascis Jazzmaster is by far the best sounding one I ever owned. Holy moly).

So, they're more evenly balanced now, but I had to pull the bridge up until the E string was buzzing and then slightly down again. Odd. I measured them, too: 13.68k.

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:amp settings are another important consideration.

I may indeed need to play around with amps and volume as I'm not sure a Laney Cub 10 goes well with this guitar.

Thanks guys.
andyman

Postby steve on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned RE: neck pickups being louder, but the physical motion of the strings near the bridge is a much smaller excursion than by the neck, so the current going through the bobbins is going to be lower because the flux lines of the magnetic field are not being cut by the conductor (string) as much.

If you think of the string oscillating as a jump-rope or something similar, the bridge pickups are near the nodes (stationary points) so the string is moving less relative to the magnetic field of the pickup, so the output is lower. As you move inward along the length of the oscillation, the movement of the strings is greater, so the generating effect of the coil is greater and the output is louder.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm

steve wrote:Don't know if this has been mentioned RE: neck pickups being louder, but the physical motion of the strings near the bridge is a much smaller excursion than by the neck, so the current going through the bobbins is going to be lower because the flux lines of the magnetic field are not being cut by the conductor (string) as much.

If you think of the string oscillating as a jump-rope or something similar, the bridge pickups are near the nodes (stationary points) so the string is moving less relative to the magnetic field of the pickup, so the output is lower. As you move inward along the length of the oscillation, the movement of the strings is greater, so the generating effect of the coil is greater and the output is louder.

So bridge pickups generally being louder is totally the result of the way they're wound? Or are bridge pickups just perceived to be louder because of the different frequencies being attenuated?
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room