home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Little tech questions from your day

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Little tech questions from your day

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:34 pm

cool, Ill check it out.
So is doing what he said not possible without a reamp box then? Lets say I have a reamp box. How do I actually do this with my setup? My focusrite has 4, 1/4" outputs on the back.
My guess is I would have to record a track into garage band, then figure out how to simultaneously output that track through one of those inserts on the back of the focusrite, send that signal into a reamp box then into a guitar pedal, then back into one of the inputs on the front panel and onto a new track?

I"m gonna google it, but i'd like to hear anyones tips or recommendations
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Adam P on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59 pm

You route a signal out of the interface at line level and into the line-level input on the reamp box. Run the instrument-level signal out of the reamp box (adjusting level to taste if the box had an output level control) and into your guitar effect(s). Then into something to bring it back up to line level, like an active DI, or a passive DI into a mic preamp, and back into your interface. If your interface has instrument-level inputs you could probably even go straight into one of those.
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby eliya on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Nate's post about the impedances is very good and something to keep in mind. Basically what's going to happen is that the line output will bomb the input of the pedal, you can use a box that converts the impedance and level, or you can also lower the level of signal inside the computer and then feed it to the pedal. That's also what Joe Baressi does, but I don't know if he talks about it in the interview you are referring to.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks Adam and eliya! Watched a few youtube videos on it too and I think I got the idea. Might take a while to navigate the particulars in my DAW but I know my way around Garageband pretty well, just never used the outputs on this Focusrite and was always curious what their uses were.
Riff Magnum

Postby numberthirty on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Man, I know that I saw a "Bootleg Options" reamping video somewhere. I'll try to dig it up and post it. Personally, I'd just build or buy a reamp.

That said(and this is a big one)...

Just because you can slap a bunch of effects on shit, that doesn't mean you should slap a bunch of effects on shit.

With that bit of grumble out of the way, here's a sort of "Starter" video on the reamp/interface business...

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 pm

On other aspect of what is being discussed here...

I might consider making the move from Garageband to Reaper. In addition to being incredibly user friendly, I'd guess that reamping is far simpler in Reaper. While I can't say for sure, I've got a feeling.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Here's that video I mentioned. It is a pretty good breakdown of the good and not-so-good options. The sound examples should give you a pretty good idea of what the score is.

phpBB [media]
numberthirty

Postby Boombats on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:29 pm

I just got a device on eBay that calls for 12VAC. The seller sent a PSU that's 9.6VDC. It's kind of my fault for not noticing in the pictures that the wall wart was the wrong unit, but I contacted the seller anyway and asked if they have the right one. They wrote back claiming that this PSU works fine and to try it out and get back to them. That's fucking stupid, right? I don't know much about stuff but I know that you're not supposed to use different voltages and I'm pretty damn sure you're not supposed to swap DC for AC either, right? What should I do?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Boombats wrote:I just got a device on eBay that calls for 12VAC. The seller sent a PSU that's 9.6VDC. It's kind of my fault for not noticing in the pictures that the wall wart was the wrong unit, but I contacted the seller anyway and asked if they have the right one. They wrote back claiming that this PSU works fine and to try it out and get back to them. That's fucking stupid, right? I don't know much about stuff but I know that you're not supposed to use different voltages and I'm pretty damn sure you're not supposed to swap DC for AC either, right? What should I do?

What's the specific unit? It really all depends what's going on. If it's trying to rectify an AC input, the DC may just pass on through the rectification and be fine. It really all depends. But you're right that it's best to keep it with the original power supply, just to avoid confusion and potential problems.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:52 pm

numberthirty wrote:On other aspect of what is being discussed here...

I might consider making the move from Garageband to Reaper. In addition to being incredibly user friendly, I'd guess that reamping is far simpler in Reaper. While I can't say for sure, I've got a feeling.

Thanks for the vids and feedback man!!

Yeah, I've thought about switching, but everyone in the band has access to a Mac and GB is all i've ever used, so I'm hesitant to switch. If I do, it'll probably be to Logic. Although it's reamping capabilities might not be easier either. I dunno.
Agreed about putting effects on for the sake of doing so. I'm just kinda bored and live in an apartment so when inspiration strikes or I have the time, I wanna be able to do guitar/bass direct (got the boxidizer!!) and then fuck with it later. I like experimenting. Wanna start messing with keyboards and stomboxes. Need a keyboard I guess, huh?
Riff Magnum

Postby Boombats on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Boombats wrote:I just got a device on eBay that calls for 12VAC. The seller sent a PSU that's 9.6VDC. It's kind of my fault for not noticing in the pictures that the wall wart was the wrong unit, but I contacted the seller anyway and asked if they have the right one. They wrote back claiming that this PSU works fine and to try it out and get back to them. That's fucking stupid, right? I don't know much about stuff but I know that you're not supposed to use different voltages and I'm pretty damn sure you're not supposed to swap DC for AC either, right? What should I do?

What's the specific unit? It really all depends what's going on. If it's trying to rectify an AC input, the DC may just pass on through the rectification and be fine. It really all depends. But you're right that it's best to keep it with the original power supply, just to avoid confusion and potential problems.

BBE 262 http://www.bbesound.com/products/manuals/262_manual.pdf
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby numberthirty on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah, I've thought about switching, but everyone in the band has access to a Mac and GB is all i've ever used, so I'm hesitant to switch. If I do, it'll probably be to Logic. Although it's reamping capabilities might not be easier either. I dunno.

I know some folks who went with it because they had doubts about another software being "Future Proof" on a Mac. Now, he is probably a bigger Reaper proponent than I am.

It's also a fully functional free demo.

Riff Magnum wrote:Agreed about putting effects on for the sake of doing so. I'm just kinda bored and live in an apartment so when inspiration strikes or I have the time, I wanna be able to do guitar/bass direct (got the boxidizer!!) and then fuck with it later. I like experimenting. Wanna start messing with keyboards and stomboxes. Need a keyboard I guess, huh?

As far as experimenting, go nuts.

Just about knowing that there's a time to(and not to) get silly.
numberthirty

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:

here's one from a sold listing on reverb:
if you zoom in close it says 12VAC, 600ma. I have had good luck at thrift stores finding shit like this. check the voltage and polarity before you plug it in though - I've found "12V" plugs that are over 20V
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 am

PEPPER! wrote:I've found "12V" plugs that are over 20V

Unloaded, yeah, that's very likely. Put a few hundred mA on it though and see what it reads. I bet it's closer to the spec'ed voltage.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 am

Boombats wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

You definitely need the 12VAC wall wart. That circuit is rectifying it into a bipolar 8.4 VDC internal supply voltage. If you plug a 9.6 VDC wall wart in there, you're only going to get the positive half of the bipolar rails.
Nate Dort

Postby Boombats on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:39 am

Nate Dort wrote:
Boombats wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

You definitely need the 12VAC wall wart. That circuit is rectifying it into a bipolar 8.4 VDC internal supply voltage. If you plug a 9.6 VDC wall wart in there, you're only going to get the positive half of the bipolar rails.

Huh. Well the seller swears up and down that she used it with this power supply, claiming "it's been plugged into this for months." She convinced me to try it so I connected it just to see if it lights up, and the power light does come on. I haven't tried running a signal through it yet because I was afraid to leave it connected for long.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:42 am

One thing you can do is take a transformer-based (ie linear, not switching) 12v DC power supply (which are generally easy to come by) and just bypass the rectifier to make it an AC supply. That is to say, just wire the connector straight to the 12v side of the transformer, and ignore the circuit board (bridge rectifier + smoothing capacitors) which would normally convert the AC output from the transformer to DC.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby endofanera on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am

If the seller can't or won't help, 12V AC power supplies are typically under 10 bucks on Amazon. The big distinguishing factors are how much current they will supply, length of cord, and type of plug. Well worth taking a quick look there and on eBay.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:17 pm

Every time I come across a power supply, I chuck it in my box of power supplies. Old appliances, modems, whatever, anything with a wall wart that's being thrown away, I keep the wall wart. Because of this, I have almost never had to buy a replacement power supply for anything.

The voltage needs to be correct. The power rating needs to be the same or greater than the rating of the device or else you risk melting the power supply (although it would be a waste to use a 2A power supply on a 0.6A device, it will work fine). DC linear power supplies can be changed to AC easily. And plugs can be fitted as required.

Of course I don't have the advantage of cheap Amazon goods so the savings are more significant for me. But I prefer to recycle junk rather than buy new things anyway.
Anthony Flack

Postby Boombats on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks all. I'm just going to buy the right replacement psu.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room