home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

e609, sm57, audix i5 for guitar

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

e609, sm57, audix i5 for guitar

Postby StanBy on Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi,

(Edit, forgot to say I'm new to the forum and a Shellac, Touch&go fan!)

I'm after a mic to amplify my guitar -open back- amp live. I'm quite lost on this but wanted to have a mic at hand in case i need it (seems i'll need one shortly!)

I was leaning towards the Sennheiser e609 based on ease of use and some opinions although in general they're confusing! some say the 57 is harsher, some say the e609. I've just heard this http://www.gearwire.com/sennheiser-e609.html and as far i can tell from it the e609 sounds harsher. Then I've also seen people recommending the Audix i5 over the Shure but again from this other test http://www.gearwire.com/audix-i5-microphone-shootout.html the 57 is more pleasant to my ears. I know the 57 doesn't get much love here but if I had to make a choice based on these videos I think i'd lean towards the shure. Would be great to know your opinions. thanks
StanBy
convert
convert

Re: e609, sm57, audix i5 for guitar

Postby sick on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:25 pm

If you're concerned about the mic being harsh, get a ribbon mic. My Cascade Fathead has been invaluable to me and was pretty inexpensive. A lot of people say that ribbon mics give guitars a more natural sound, because of their figure eight pattern. The fig 8 pattern causes the mic to pick up a bit of room sound as well as the speaker directly. Most have a smooth roll-off of high frequencies that ensures that there is no harshness.

http://www.cascademicrophones.com/casca ... AD_II.html
sick
viceroy
viceroy

Postby Big John on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:00 pm

I would just go with whateaver piece of crap the house uses. The sound guys are usally idiots, so a different mike could confuse them a ribbon mike could be disaster. You see you would have to ask the sound guy not to use phantom power. Which he probibly does not know where it is located on the board it will somehow be turned on, that's just how sound guys are.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby stel on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:26 pm

As far as live mics go I would probably stay away from figure-8 patterns for obvious reasons. I personally own an e906 and find that the hi-roll off negates alot of hi end harshness. Also, sm57's can be improved with a bit of modding. Use what Your ears like and remember that with a pa it probably doesn't matter much.
stel
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Like 100% of clubs i have ever played at or done sound at have at least one 57. usually they have a few.

I would choose the 609 over the 57 every time but through a shitty pa in a shitty sounding room it probably makes little difference.
elisha wiesner

Postby J. Burns on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:44 pm

Really like the e609.

Coolest thing about it is that you don't need a mic stand.
J. Burns

Postby Ryan Electrocution on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:40 pm

Big John wrote:I would just go with whateaver piece of crap the house uses. The sound guys are usally idiots, so a different mike could confuse them a ribbon mike could be disaster. You see you would have to ask the sound guy not to use phantom power. Which he probibly does not know where it is located on the board it will somehow be turned on, that's just how sound guys are.

Hahaa, yeah, that would probably happen. Live, I wouldn't use a ribbon, unless the soundguy really knows what he's doing, and even then....if it's kicked over or fell over by accident, that could tear the ribbon. Ribbons are crazy finicky.

As much as I generally don't like SM57's in the studio, for live work, they can be great--namely because they reject feedback well with their weird tonal sculpting, and that if it falls or someone spills beer on it, hey, it's just an SM57. I once read or was told that you should aim for "upper mediocre".....considering that you don't have to worry about the SM57 being a fragile or even a very expensive mic, it's sort of the same reason for micing something as i'd probably never bring a White Falcon Gretsch or a really vintage Gibson to a night club in fear of it being ripped off.

All the live gigs that i've seen bizarre shit happen (guitarists tumbling backwards into an amp that was nowhere near them, beer bottles being thrown and magically landing right on the mic, etc).....yikes. I hate to admit some defeat of not recommending the technically best mic, but sometimes you have to weigh what you can afford to lose in a worst case scenario in a night after night test, versus the durability of something.
Ryan Electrocution
richard scarry
richard scarry

Postby Trad on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:44 am

I have one of each and usually end up digging out the e609 more. I dig the mids.
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby endofanera on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:08 am

Get a Beta 57. If the club doesnt have a mic for your amp, they probably wont have one for vocals either and the Beta 57 makes a fine live vocal mic in that case.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby sick on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:54 am

erp. didn't see the word "live." yeah, don't use a ribbon onstage...
sick
viceroy
viceroy

Postby StanBy on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks all for the answers!
I guess in a live situation differences between these mics won't be critical and could be eq'd anyway. In the long run I may end up with more than one and will be able to compare for myself!
StanBy
convert
convert

Postby skatingbasser on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:33 pm

Ribbon mic live:
-Risk of phantom frying it
-Needs more gain (more noise if club board is dirty or cheap)
-More inclined to feedback with wide pattern
-Delicate and easy to break onstage
-Might sound a bit better, in a setting where it doesn't make much difference.

The biggest difference I think you'll ever notice between the three is the 609 can be hung with a cable and save a stand.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Big John on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

The e609 would also be easly identified as not being a house mike as a sm57 might not.

I have seen at bigger venues (where the bands have their own sound people) that guitar players are using a wider variety of mikes.

But perhaps the clubs you are playing do not have house mikes?
Big John

Postby Uecker on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm

tone wise, i like the e609 best of these 3 on rock guitar. on stage, those i5's are nice cause they are built like a fucking tank and sound better than a 57...
Uecker
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby MWilke on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am

I just got an e609 to record guitars at home. Has anyone found any other good uses for it aside from guitar cabs?
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Mason on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:20 pm

Not bad as a close mic on drums, though it won't get you a hall-of-fame floor tom. It's a less annoying SM57, to me, so you can throw it anywhere people throw SM57s and it'll be that but less annoying.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm

snare
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm

endofanera wrote:Get a Beta 57. If the club doesnt have a mic for your amp, they probably wont have one for vocals either and the Beta 57 makes a fine live vocal mic in that case.

^ this. If there's garbage on the stand or on your mic you can at least switch one out for the beta 57 - and I grew to really like the form factor of the basket when singing
TylerSavage
whistle blower
whistle blower

Postby Facundo on Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:17 pm

After seeing that John Fahey '78 in Rockpalast DVD I've found the old 57s can record an acoustic instrument with that vintage burnt photographs lofi coloured mid-tones. Specially if the guitar has a great voice in mids, and much less lows than a jumbo guitar. I think the 70s to 90s choice for sm57 in guitar amps is based about its only good characteristic: Presence.

So my choice would be sennheiser e609 or 906.

Audix om5 is a good mic for low pressure singing voices, beautiful sound, very responsive, and much much less proximity effect than a 58. Both Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher My Bloody Valentine's singers toured with it last two tours (they sing at very low volume and have walls of amps behind).

I'd never put a 57 in a voice or an amp until I have no other option. EV Co4 is a cheap 57 with a darker tone and it makes each dollar worth.
Facundo
evita
evita

Postby endofanera on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Facundo wrote:Audix om5 is a good mic for low pressure singing voices, beautiful sound, very responsive, and much much less proximity effect than a 58. Both Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher My Bloody Valentine's singers toured with it last two tours (they sing at very low volume and have walls of amps behind).

It's particularly good for this type of application as the Audix OM5 has a really tight pattern and a lot of off axis rejection. As a result it is unforgiving for sloppy singers.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Next

Return to Tech Room