home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

best drum machine setup

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

best drum machine setup

Postby deadfate on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:32 am

best drum machine setup for lo-fi pop? i'm watching the alesis hr16 or the firsts electribes, but i don't know nothing about drum machine. i'm thinking to use it with an old boss analog delay and some envelope filter and then to an ampeg j20 or a good pa... but i don't know. any suggestion?
deadfate
johnny cash
johnny cash
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 am
Location: Perugia, Italy

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby jmartin7221 on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:54 am

You really can't go wrong with the hr-16. It's got a ton of tweakable sounds and it's built like a fucking tank. I'd have no problem using mine as home plate in an impromptu game of baseball.
jmartin7221
redd foxx
redd foxx
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm
Location: You don't want to visit

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Benny on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:15 am

alesis sr-16 is the one that jesus and mary chain used in darklands.
anyway, if you have a old notebook laying there, just use that with fruity loops or reason. best drum machine ever, lots of sounds and effects and very cheap.
User avatar
Benny
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Southern Hemisphere

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby deadfate on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:33 am

so the alesis hr16 or sr16 are better than the electribe er1? i don't want use my laptop, it's mostly a guitar solo project, something like primitive blues with some shoegazing sounds, i prefer to play a real drum machine in live sessions.
deadfate
johnny cash
johnny cash
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 am
Location: Perugia, Italy

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Benny on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:45 am

deadfate wrote:so the alesis hr16 or sr16 are better than the electribe er1? i don't want use my laptop, it's mostly a guitar solo project, something like primitive blues with some shoegazing sounds, i prefer to play a real drum machine in live sessions.


they are completely different things.
sr16 is mostly 80s power ballad sounds. not very editable.
the electribe drum machine is a machine from the 90s. is mostly for dance music. all sounds are very editable tough so you can get lots of sounds. just check some examples on youtube for both machines.
you can also try any standard and traditional boss dr drum machine. they are good and simple.
User avatar
Benny
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2996
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Southern Hemisphere

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby deadfate on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:25 am

what about the electribe's sampler es1?
deadfate
johnny cash
johnny cash
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 am
Location: Perugia, Italy

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby garthplinko on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:03 am

well sure a sampler is pretty much INFINITE - what you put in is what you get out. It depends on how much money and time you want to spend on it.

If you want cheap and low-fi though, get this http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Boss-DDR-220A-Drum-Machine-/180519817830?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07d1d266#ht_500wt_1154 and run it through an alesis microlimiter or a big muff. You're making beats for under a hundred bucks.
User avatar
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3567
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Ben Abraham on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47149&start=40

Drum Machines:
My band uses an Oberheim DX modified for MIDI by Paul White at Electrongate, IMO it's the best drum machine ever, bar none in terms of sound, tweakablity, connectivity and so on...if you want to get one I reccomend getting a Oberheim DXa with MIDI, even if you don't use the MIDI it has some additional features which the Oberheim DX lacks like, count-ins, flams, etc. Also Electrongate is a great resource for DX and the DMX machines.
This demo is pretty fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw_4fjgGEJM

EDIT: Also the Sequential Circuits Drumtrax is very similar to an Oberheim DMX and pretty cool. Also the Sequential Circuits TOM machine is pretty rad.
Dig it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc22KSCdtuE

The Alesis HR-16 is a close third and can be had for under $100. I know The Jesus Lizard used it on the Pure EP and it sounds great, also Godflesh used an HR-16 for their earlier stuff. The SR-16 and 18 suck ass.

Other machines you might want to consider is a E-Mu Drumulator, which is what Big Black used for Racer X and everything after that. If you're more keen on the Lo-Fi maybe you'd like some old Roland or Boss machines, I personally don't like any of the Roland machines an their expensive as fuck.

Personally I hate most of the modern digital shit, they all sound fake and try too hard to sound like real drums which little or no success.

Speakers and Sound:
Depending on the quality of the sound systems at the venues you want to play, you might want to invest your own PA system.
I'm still trying to figure this one out...The best and simplest solution would be a pair of 15" full range self powered speakers like JBL EON G2 or USA made Mackie SRMs, with a small 12 channel Mackie mixer. But powered speakers are pricy even second hand ones go for at least $350 each. But if you have the cash I'm sure that'd be great

I actually found a great deal on a pair of EV SH-1512 speakers for $300, The Austerity Program uses these and their drum machine sounds pretty fucking awesome through them They're pretty nice on vocals...still haven't tested them with the drum machine though. Downside on those guys are that they're huge and heavy motherfuckers...but I think that's part of their charm.

For power that's somewhat complicated, I have yet to get a power amp of my own. Crest are probably the best, but they're also priced accordingly. I'm looking at the QSC USA series...someone I know once told me to get a power amp that's slightly more than the continuous rating of the speakers...The EV's I have are rated at 200W cont. but we ran a Crown DLS-202 which is 300W/channel and it sounded pretty good. So far the best results we've gotten is at hourly practice place which had 2 2x10 Yorkville speakers powered by a Crest CA 6 amp plus a Yorkville (model name escapes me at the moment) 300 watt PA/Keyboard amp for the bass drum....that was a pretty brutal setup.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3902
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby dorfmeister on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:33 am

How about an MPC?
Image
dorfmeister
hemingway
hemingway
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:05 am

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Ben Abraham on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:06 am

dorfmeister wrote:How about an MPC?
Image


Well as far as samplers go MPC's are pretty cool I guess, maybe it's my misunderstanding but i tend to differentiate between drum machines and samplers. As far as samplers go I like the E-Mu SP-1200
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3902
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby chrisc on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 pm

I like drum machine records for the most part. When I try to make my own the drums sound all weak, thin, and shitty. I've used others, including Roland stand alone stuff, SR-16, casio keyboards, etc. Currently using the DM1 which sounds equally shitty coming from my iPhone or straight from my Macbook. Is there something going on I'm missing?
User avatar
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Humboldt Park

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Ok, what do people recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI?

Performance-wise, I am thinking that if I was going to use drum machine tracks on stage, and if I just wanted straight playback with no live cueing or on-the-fly manipulation, I would probably turn them into video files and play them from a smartphone attached to my mic stand.

Video files, not audio files, because that way I could make an accompanying animation, with a blinking tempo, or bouncy ball, or bar count or any other cues I might want coming up on the screen. This seems to me like a smart idea, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe if someone can recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8676
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Ok, what do people recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI?

Performance-wise, I am thinking that if I was going to use drum machine tracks, and if I just wanted straight playback with no live cueing or on-the-fly manipulation, I would probably turn them into video files and play them from a smartphone attached to my mic stand.

Video files, not audio files, because that way I could make an accompanying animation, with a blinking tempo, or bouncy ball, or bar count or any other cues I might want coming up on the screen. This seems to me like a smart idea, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe if someone can recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI.


I'm assuming MIDI keeps the "kicks" separate from the "Snares"?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19548
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:29 pm

chrisc wrote:I like drum machine records for the most part. When I try to make my own the drums sound all weak, thin, and shitty. I've used others, including Roland stand alone stuff, SR-16, casio keyboards, etc. Currently using the DM1 which sounds equally shitty coming from my iPhone or straight from my Macbook. Is there something going on I'm missing?


Could you describe the "There" that it seems like you cannot get to from your "Here"?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19548
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby chrisc on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:01 pm

numberthirty wrote:
chrisc wrote:I like drum machine records for the most part. When I try to make my own the drums sound all weak, thin, and shitty. I've used others, including Roland stand alone stuff, SR-16, casio keyboards, etc. Currently using the DM1 which sounds equally shitty coming from my iPhone or straight from my Macbook. Is there something going on I'm missing?


Could you describe the "There" that it seems like you cannot get to from your "Here"?


Not well. This is the most recent self recorded thing.

Big Black is the holy grail drum machine vibe. I don't know. Beats/programming aside, literally every drum machine I've ever heard sounds better than what I've been able to do with it.
User avatar
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Humboldt Park

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 pm

numberthirty wrote:I'm assuming MIDI keeps the "kicks" separate from the "Snares"?


The convention is to use different notes to trigger the different drums.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8676
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:49 pm

chrisc wrote:Big Black is the holy grail drum machine vibe. I don't know. Beats/programming aside, literally every drum machine I've ever heard sounds better than what I've been able to do with it.


What's your "This is how it goes down."? Start to finish/Detail heavy.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19548
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby japmn on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:28 am

Try hitting a tape machine that isn't running the tape very fast really hard with that drum machine. You might find some of that flavor you are not hearing now. Zom is unloading an 8 track Otari R2R. It would be perfect.
User avatar
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7837
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:38 am
Location: Poutland

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby Ben Abraham on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:01 am

chrisc wrote:
numberthirty wrote:
chrisc wrote:I like drum machine records for the most part. When I try to make my own the drums sound all weak, thin, and shitty. I've used others, including Roland stand alone stuff, SR-16, casio keyboards, etc. Currently using the DM1 which sounds equally shitty coming from my iPhone or straight from my Macbook. Is there something going on I'm missing?


Could you describe the "There" that it seems like you cannot get to from your "Here"?


Not well. This is the most recent self recorded thing.

Big Black is the holy grail drum machine vibe. I don't know. Beats/programming aside, literally every drum machine I've ever heard sounds better than what I've been able to do with it.



When I was using a drum machine for a little project that I was working on I did a fair amount of futzing with different gear. I just wanted to note that Big Black used two drum machines, one was the TR-606 "Roland" and the E-Mu Drumulator. Of the Big Black drum machine sounds I really enjoyed I liked the Drumulator sounds a lot better. The 606 always sounded thin and tinny to me, maybe that's appealing to some though. That might be something to consider.

I had a Oberheim DX for a bit which I ended up selling but that had my personal favorite drum machine sounds maybe it was because I associated with New Order and older Run DMC tracks as they used the same machine.

If I was doing a project/band with a drum machine again I'd find another Oberheim DX and run it through a pair powered QSC K12s. That'd be a pretty rad sounding rig.
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3902
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am
Location: New York City

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 am

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
User avatar
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 19548
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:28 am

Next

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests