home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

best drum machine setup

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: best drum machine setup

Postby dfglove on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Ok, what do people recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI?

Audio Damage's Tattoo plugin is not at all expensive and very good. There is a very sophisticated onboard sequencer that works well and can drive other instruments via MIDI; you can also sidestep this entirely and drive it from your host, using it purely as a sound generator.
dfglove
mime
mime

Postby chrisc on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:57 am

numberthirty wrote:Could you describe the "There" that it seems like you cannot get to from your "Here"?

That other thread gave me a lot to go off of that I'll mess with in the future.

Right now it's me and a dude from Texas just futzing around and seeing what we can do with the distance between us. I've gone iDevice -> Zvex Super Hard On -> practice amp with good-ish result. Lately it's just make the thing in DM-1, export beat, move right over to Audacity.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby harpseal2 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:13 pm

deadfate wrote:best drum machine setup for lo-fi pop? i'm watching the alesis hr16 or the firsts electribes, but i don't know nothing about drum machine. i'm thinking to use it with an old boss analog delay and some envelope filter and then to an ampeg j20 or a good pa... but i don't know. any suggestion?

I own an Alesis SR-16, which currently goes into a Cort MX15, and sounds really great. I'd say go for that, or get an SR-18 instead, which looks really great from the videos I've seen.

I would avoid computer stuff with this, I prefer to keep it simple, but I dunno, use a computer program if you like it, and got a good grip on how to use it.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby morespaceecho on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:Ok, what do people recommend for a versatile, cross-platform, cheap or free virtual drum machine I can chuck onto a Reaper track as a VST and drive from MIDI?

PC only, but i love this thing:

http://www.onesmallclue.com/poise.php

basically perfect for me. 50 bucks. the designer is a cool guy and helpful should you need it.
morespaceecho
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby bishopdante on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:51 am

Generally unless it s based in analogue oscillators like old Roland machines, any drum machine is likely a sampler. Back in the old days flash, HD or volatile RAM memory you could write audio to was expensive, so hardware drum machines came with non editable samples loaded onto ROM.

Hence any sampler is usually preferable and put your own noises in, but to turn that into beats you need to employ some sort of sequencer.

Hardware sequencers are pretty rare, those got replaced by cubase o notator on Atari. A computer is not the easiest item to take onstage, they don't get on well with vibration, damp or heat unless built custom. These days an Atari ST would not be considered reliable, either, and underpowered for anything apart from MIDI. A home assembled PC will survive for about a minute in most harsh sweaty dive venue conditions.

However, phones and tablets are quite a lot tougher and have no moving parts or forced air systems. They also have a battery based uninterruptible power supply.

This iPad sampler app isn't designed with drums in mind per se, doesn't really have a sequencer, but there is nothing stopping one putting loops in.
phpBB [media]

What is lost in sequencing is gained in playability, it's halfway to a proper playable instrument with a touchscreen interface.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Kevinjamesfan666 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:50 am

phpBB [media]
Kevinjamesfan666
bishop
bishop

Postby madlee on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 pm

I had no idea that Roland introduced that new line of drum machines (Aira) which seem pretty cool. Anyone have one?
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby TheMilford on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I have Both the Oberheim DMX and DX and they are amazing. I just got an HR-16 that I'm repairing. I will report back soon.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby TomWanderer on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:03 pm

I couldn't decide where to post this, but it is a drum machine related question...

I just picked up an Alesis HR-16 on Reverb. I've been looking around online for the preset pattern library that comes loaded on these guys and I have come up empty handed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
TomWanderer
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby bassdriver on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

TomWanderer wrote:I couldn't decide where to post this, but it is a drum machine related question...

I just picked up an Alesis HR-16 on Reverb. I've been looking around online for the preset pattern library that comes loaded on these guys and I have come up empty handed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

this could work

https://archive.org/details/HR16FactoryPresets
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby TomWanderer on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

I should have specified...I'm just looking for a list of the presets and their corresponding number in the databank.

Thank you for the link though, that could also prove helpful.
TomWanderer
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Previous

Return to Tech Room