home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Kick Pedals

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Kick Pedals

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:43 am

Honestly very cool seeing all the Iron Cobra love. I really haven't messed with the settings in a long while and honestly forgot about even trying. I'll have to play around a bit some night.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby skatingbasser on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm

I'll take slews of arrows for my Pearl Eliminator. Really solid build, double chain driven, has swappable cams with different curves for different responses, crazy customizable positions for backplate/griptape/etc. Just a really nice pedal.

My hi-hat stand is of the same series, also knocks it out of the park.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby 154 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Tama and Pearl hardware are pretty unfuckwithable as far as durability, price, and ubiquity.

That said, this thread has made me want to go to a drum shop and try one of them space age aluminum pedals. Those didn't exist when I started playing and have to wonder how much of a difference it would make.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:16 am

benadrian wrote:Many years ago I had a series of DW pedals. I always liked them, but they were always shaking loose.

+1 The DW stuff is notorious for shaking loose, parts falling off, etc. The hinge in the heel of mine broke twice. So yeah, parts are easily sourced because they're so frequently needed.

I used to love Speed Kings but when I switched to being a stompy kick drum player instead of w/ my heel-down, I wishboned it and pretty much rendered the pedal unusable. Years later I thought I'd try another one - same thing after 2 practices. These really aren't for hard-hitting drummers - and I never understood how Bonham used them - I can only imagine he had a string of them lined up for replacement or his tech knew a trick how to repair them that I did not know.

I've had an original Eliminator for years and a drummer friend has an Iron Cobra. Both pedals have been played and transported a lot and are still holding up well. The only problem I've had w/ the Pearl was once the plastic cam that adjusts the feel broke off (fortunately it comes with several). It also comes with a strap which is nice in case somehow your chain breaks, or it gives you the option to switch to strap-drive which a lot more folks are doing these days.

The only negatives I personally have about the iron cobra is that some folks don't care for the beater, and the hinges on the plastic case will eventually wear thin and break - which sucks because having a case for your pedal goes a long ways towards keeping it in good repair during transport.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:55 am

I've been meaning to send one of these off to this guy forever.

Good enough for Bonham, good enough for you, Chad.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby 154 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:06 am

If the In Through the Outdoor drum outtakes are any indication, he could have used some WD-40 on that thing..

I played one on a recording once. After we oiled it up, it was great.

Postby bishopdante on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:40 pm

garthplinko wrote:I used to love Speed Kings but when I switched to being a stompy kick drum player instead of w/ my heel-down, I wishboned it and pretty much rendered the pedal unusable. Years later I thought I'd try another one - same thing after 2 practices. These really aren't for hard-hitting drummers - and I never understood how Bonham used them - I can only imagine he had a string of them lined up for replacement or his tech knew a trick how to repair them that I did not know.

They're a bit fussy about what hoops they attach to. I found they only really work on Ludwig drums of the correct period. They also seem to prefer flat floors, but that's even more of a problem with pedals that have a plate on the base. On the right drum and a decent floor there's no moving it, it's like a limpet, part of the drum shell.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 pm

You make a biscuit out of duct tape and shim it in there and you're golden. I've made a dozen or more of those in my life. I'm happy to mail you one.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Ruy Lopez on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I've been playing a Pearl Eliminator for the last 3 years and it's been good. The reason I bought it was because it's the most adjustable pedal available but I use it just the way it came out of the box. It is nice and heavy and I don't think I will ever break it through playing. It came with an excellent drum key.

One weird thing about it though: at a recent show during a section of a song with constant kicking, the beater surface melted and was sticking to the bass head. Never seen that before.

My only gripe is that I ordered some replacement parts to convert the slave(?) pedal from a double kick into it's own single pedal and have been on wait since May 8th because the parts must come from Japan. Hmm, I wonder if Sleepkid could do me a solid on this...
Ruy Lopez
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 am

Ruy Lopez wrote:
One weird thing about it though: at a recent show during a section of a song with constant kicking, the beater surface melted and was sticking to the bass head.

Yr a fuckn BEAST, dude.

My only gripe is that I ordered some replacement parts to convert the slave(?) pedal from a double kick into it's own single pedal

Are you getting another kick drum or selling that one? If the latter, how much?
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Kyle Motor on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:You make a biscuit out of duct tape and shim it in there and you're golden. I've made a dozen or more of those in my life. I'm happy to mail you one.

I take a cardboard drumstick sheath, fold it in half, and use that as a shim to clamp the Squeak King to the bass drum.

I love that stupid old pedal. I try new ones and some are great, but they're just not the same. My right foot is a creature of habit.
That dog won't hunt, monsignor.
zom-zom wrote:Fuck you loser pussies that hate KISS.

Go listen to your beard-nerd aluminum guitar shit. See if I care.
Kyle Motor
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby bishopdante on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:42 am

Kyle Motor wrote:I love that stupid old pedal. I try new ones and some are great, but they're just not the same. My right foot is a creature of habit.

I reckon a lot of the feel is down to where the pivot of the linkage is placed, so it has a sort of whiplash effect.

502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby Ruy Lopez on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:
Ruy Lopez wrote:My only gripe is that I ordered some replacement parts to convert the slave(?) pedal from a double kick into it's own single pedal

Are you getting another kick drum or selling that one? If the latter, how much?

I planned on perhaps using it on another kit I play around town, but if I end up finding I don't need it, I can "pay it forward" to ya. Who knows when the parts will come; Customer Service basically said, "They'll get there when they get there."
Ruy Lopez
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby nick92675 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:21 pm

+1 on Pearl Eliminator
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby tarandfeathers on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:22 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:

I've been meaning to send one of these off to this guy forever.

Good enough for Bonham, good enough for you, Chad.

Intriguing. I'd like to give a direct drive pedal a try. Still using an Iron Cobra, although I got a standard Gibraltar beater for it instead of the original one which is very light, even with the counterweight all the way up.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Do you guys change the springs on your pedals or just wait till they actually break? I THINK mine might be wearing/worn out, as it doesn't spring back as quickly as I sometimes need it to, even though I keep tightening it more and more. It's pretty much maxed out.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox

Postby eliya on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:01 pm

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:Do you guys change the springs on your pedals or just wait till they actually break? I THINK mine might be wearing/worn out, as it doesn't spring back as quickly as I sometimes need it to, even though I keep tightening it more and more. It's pretty much maxed out.

Remove the spring. If it goes back to its relaxed position (or close enough), then it's fine. If not, then you should probably remove it. It supposed to be pretty cheap. When I replaced one it was around $1.
eliya

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

The Tama/Camco chain pedals are great, and pretty cheap used. I haven't broke one yet.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby rickshawismia on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am

So I've had the same old model Iron Cobra with the strap for 10 years. This is the old model pre-Cobra Coil. The strap finally snapped last night and I managed to find one on ebay to replace it. My old Cobra has had several parts replaced now. It's been a massive pain getting parts for it as Tama is probably run by computers/monkeys. Not even dealers can get through on the phone with them. I tried to order a new rod for my hat stand and that was impossible. So I've got this old pedal that I love too hard to not replace the parts on, but I feel like it's time to shift it into backup pedal zone. The DW5000 part availability keeps coming up and I feel like I should just get it and keep tinkering with my Cobra until it gets put to pasture. Maybe I should just get the new Cobra and use my old one for parts?
Drum Erika at Motherfucker
rickshawismia
convert
convert

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 pm

I've been using an Iron Cobra Jr. which I got as a Christmas present. The pad fell off the beater within an hour, and needed to be replaced. Apart from that it's been fine so far. I played a Speed King at a gig a while back and thought it felt really great though. Really great. Though I don't like this talk of them being easy to wishbone.
Anthony Flack

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room