home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Solid State Amps

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Solid State Amps

Postby Boombats on Wed May 24, 2017 8:44 am

Riff Magnum wrote:
Boombats wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:
Boombats wrote:Randall RG200, RG0300 with the orange or brown stripe. Fenderish SS with major volume.

There's a pretty clean and sweet looking Switchmaster 150 on Reverb. Good price too. Everything else is newish stuff
Switchmaster is more for dirt though right?

It does break up, really nicely IMO, but yeah it doesn't have as much clean headroom as the RG if I remember correctly. However it can still get very loud at clean settings; just don't turn the gain past 2 if you need it to be super clean. I'd double check with that seller that they really still have the head cuz my bassist bought one from that seller and I could swear it's the same one in that picture. I think the seller may have made two slightly different listings for the same amp, but I could be wrong. My guy was able to talk them down a bit on price too so if it's really available, I'd say go for it and you'll have a super versatile kick ass head.

Couple more questions on the Switchmaster, as I think I'm pulling the trigger on it. $200 for an amp is pretty much like nothing to me at this point, I'm such a baller.
Anyways, how's the reverb and how hard is it to find a channel switcher? Also, you think this could push two TL806 cabs? I'm not looking for face melting volume just want them to be simpatico.
It looks like Randall sells reissue footswitches on Ebay, but I'm trying to figure out if it's for the old originals or their modern couterparts. I guess the key is to look for that weird male "pin" pattern on the input cord, huh?

That 6 pole pin might be a bitch to find, but I've seen them. I think I've seen just the bare pin plug for sale. The reissue footswitches tend to be TRS, as later Randalls would have that sensible kind of plug.

The reverb sounds good to me, and seems to interact with the Presence knob a bit in that the reverberations are brighter if there's a lot of presence, but it's not a tone knob just for the verb. I don't know how it compares to a Fender reverb amp, but it's got a good dub sound when you smack it. Also you can use a regular single switch latching pedal to turn verb on and off, as it's got its own TS pedal jack.

As for power, I've run a full stack of 2 4x12s with no problem. You should have the seller test the amp out for you before shipping though, as the one my friend bought from (I think) the same seller did come with a hum on the dirty channel that was not described in the listing.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 am

I just lowballed him and plan to take it to my amp tech anyways, since he told me he actually likes working on solid state amps.

IS this what you're talking about?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-amplifi ... Swo4pYievP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-2-Butto ... Sw4A5YwO9h

Looked at the pic of the amp closer and I don't think that's what you're talking about. It's weird looking. I pretty much need to be able to switch if i'm gonna use it. It might work if I leave it clean all time and just switch my MusicMan to dirt when need be. Gonna be pedal dancing. I fucking hate pedal dancing.
Last edited by Riff Magnum on Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Boombats on Wed May 24, 2017 9:12 am

Nope

Here's a repro, never seen these before. Looks like it lacks the capability of the original pedal, which did clean/dirty/both. but at least it's got the right plug.
http://www.championpedals.com/fs5j+.html
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed May 24, 2017 9:46 am

Boombats wrote:Nope

Here's a repro, never seen these before. Looks like it lacks the capability of the original pedal, which did clean/dirty/both. but at least it's got the right plug.
http://www.championpedals.com/fs5j+.html

lol
I just found that too. Thanks man!!
My understanding is that because of the tech at the time, bot channels are always on regardless, so there's always a little bleed. Is that not the case?
In a live setting I doubt I'll ever need to blend the two channels, so It's no biggie.
Riff Magnum

Postby Boombats on Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am

My experience when I used the switch was yeah, a little bleed. doesn't bleed if the dirty channel gain is all the way down though. the baggy to blend the two channels is what I like about the amp, but these days I just use the clean channel anyway.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed May 24, 2017 3:58 pm

Man....kinda taken aback by the TS-15 power amp section. For solid state its remarkably simple. Makes we want to try to build one.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 am

Boombats wrote:My experience when I used the switch was yeah, a little bleed. doesn't bleed if the dirty channel gain is all the way down though. the baggy to blend the two channels is what I like about the amp, but these days I just use the clean channel anyway.

I bought the Randall and I'm pretty pumped. The seller is having a switch made for it that seems pretty cool, but I had already bought the other one that you found. Think he was gonna have the pedal made then relist the amp for extra $$$. So now he's stuck with that pedal. Just a heads up if you or any other Randall owners wants a good switcher.

By the way, do you use it for bass or guitar? I'm using it for guitar but i'm thinking it might sound cool pushing a 15" TL606 cab in a two amp setup.
Did I already ask you if the reverb is decent? Is it decent?
Riff Magnum

Postby agiant on Tue May 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Today I bought this, a Marshall lead 12 5005 :mrgreen:
blah
agiant
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby Boombats on Tue May 30, 2017 10:34 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
Boombats wrote:My experience when I used the switch was yeah, a little bleed. doesn't bleed if the dirty channel gain is all the way down though. the baggy to blend the two channels is what I like about the amp, but these days I just use the clean channel anyway.

I bought the Randall and I'm pretty pumped. The seller is having a switch made for it that seems pretty cool, but I had already bought the other one that you found. Think he was gonna have the pedal made then relist the amp for extra $$$. So now he's stuck with that pedal. Just a heads up if you or any other Randall owners wants a good switcher.

By the way, do you use it for bass or guitar? I'm using it for guitar but i'm thinking it might sound cool pushing a 15" TL606 cab in a two amp setup.
Did I already ask you if the reverb is decent? Is it decent?

I find the reverb acceptable but am no connoisseur! It does the jobby for me and is always on. I use it for guitar right now but my bassist uses his for bass, actually as a preamp into one of those giant heavy SVTs. It's awesome into the SVT and also by itself into a bass cab.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby free meat on Wed May 31, 2017 5:29 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Man....kinda taken aback by the TS-15 power amp section. For solid state its remarkably simple. Makes we want to try to build one.

If you do, maybe get rid of the three way volume toggle. I always hated that about the one I had.
free meat
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 am

free meat wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:Man....kinda taken aback by the TS-15 power amp section. For solid state its remarkably simple. Makes we want to try to build one.

If you do, maybe get rid of the three way volume toggle. I always hated that about the one I had.

Yeah I think for proof of concept I wouldnt even mess with the preamp, tbh, and i'd certainly leave that master toggle off. The preamp in these just looks like a boost pedal with a tone stack, which makes me want to try the power amp with a multitude of "preamps" in pedal form.
Dr Tony Balls

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
free meat wrote:

Yeah I think for proof of concept I wouldnt even mess with the preamp, tbh, and i'd certainly leave that master toggle off. The preamp in these just looks like a boost pedal with a tone stack, which makes me want to try the power amp with a multitude of "preamps" in pedal form.

What about building that power amp section, but putting it on steroids so your output was 200 watts? Would definitely have a use for something like that if it could be smaller than a PM-100.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 am

four_oclocker_2 wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
free meat wrote:

What about building that power amp section, but putting it on steroids so your output was 200 watts? Would definitely have a use for something like that if it could be smaller than a PM-100.

No clue. Solid State power amps are fully out of my wheelhouse. What interested me about the TS-15 was the relatively simple approach to the power amp via power darlingtons. I'd like to try building a TS-15, then see about potentially using more powerful output transistors, or running them in parallel to increase power.
Dr Tony Balls

Postby alexisocampo on Wed May 31, 2017 11:31 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:
free meat wrote:

No clue. Solid State power amps are fully out of my wheelhouse. What interested me about the TS-15 was the relatively simple approach to the power amp via power darlingtons. I'd like to try building a TS-15, then see about potentially using more powerful output transistors, or running them in parallel to increase power.

Man, that would be awesome.
I've got a shitty Argentinian small combo amp and I'm always wanting to use its enclosure and refill it with a nicer preamp and power section and speaker.
I've build some pedals and theremins and other small audio devices so if you succeed with that maybe I become courageous and finally do it.
I've never saw not even a photo of a Traynor in Argentina. It's flavour is unknown here, so it can be the first thing close to a Traynor in this country.
alexisocampo
duke
duke

Postby Frank Decent on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Hey there. Please excuse my question if it's already been answered but I'm relatively new to bass amps and I have a couple questions about wattage and volume.

I was looking at these little GK heads and it says they produce 500 watts of power through a speaker at 4 ohms. Now, do you bass players think that would be loud enough for rehearsal with a loud rock band, say a trio or two guitar thing? The light weight, compact size and durability of solid state is particularly attractive. What do you think? Plenty loud for rehearsing and small gigs or will I be frustrated? I'm thinking of running it into a 2x12 cab.

Here's the amp itself:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MB500
Thanks for any help.
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby PEPPER! on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:06 pm

that little guy will be plenty loud through a decent 4 ohm cab
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:53 pm

I have no idea why, but I bought one of these:

...I have no idea how it will sound.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby garthplinko on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Pretty sure the main reason to own one of those is for the distorted sound.

IIRC, "searing" is the word I'd use. For good or bad, it reminds me a lot of all the crust bands that were around our area in the late 90s/early 2000s.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Smitty Yeagermanjensen on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

garthplinko wrote:Pretty sure the main reason to own one of those is for the distorted sound.

IIRC, "searing" is the word I'd use. For good or bad, it reminds me a lot of all the crust bands that were around our area in the late 90s/early 2000s.

+1
I had the 1x12 combo version, now owned by FM Bubber. Searing, blistering, molten: all good adjectives. You'll have no trouble being heard, that's for sure.
Smitty Yeagermanjensen
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby Evanc521 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:15 pm

garthplinko wrote:Pretty sure the main reason to own one of those is for the distorted sound.

This is probably my favorite SS head, I like to set the gain pretty high on the clean channel and it sounds phenomenal. Never really use the distorted channel unless I am goofing off.
Evanc521
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room