home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Solid State Amps

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Solid State Amps

Postby JohnnySomersett on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 am

Oooh, I'm getting excited now! Should arrive Thursday. Only cost me £50 too
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby JohnnySomersett on Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:32 am

JohnnySomersett wrote:Oooh, I'm getting excited now! Should arrive Thursday. Only cost me £50 too

Lucky me. The guy wrapped it in a black bin bag to ship. Now I have the joy of replacing 3 pots

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Redline on Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm cleaning out the basement, The H/H bass amp is back for sale at Music Go Round in Greenfield, WI., 200 bucks, wot a deal.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby endofanera on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:35 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:Oooh, I'm getting excited now! Should arrive Thursday. Only cost me £50 too

Lucky me. The guy wrapped it in a black bin bag to ship. Now I have the joy of replacing 3 pots

Not even a box? Seriously? Wow.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:16 am

endofanera wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:

Not even a box? Seriously? Wow.

Yep, just the thinnest, blackest POS bin bag. Wasn't a great deal left of it either by the time it arrived. Gonna have a proper look over the weekend - check if it salvageable or worse.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 am

JohnnySomersett wrote:I have no idea why, but I bought one of these:

...I have no idea how it will sound.

Set it right and you will sound exactly like Eyehategod. As we all know, this is a wonderful and melodious guitar tone.

They can be a bit on the quiet side at times though.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:14 am

Finally got a permanent replacement for the head I had stolen out of my car last year.

Since I use a Rusty as my preamp, I just wanted the power amp. Although I am feeling class D curious, in the end I went with the old class AB again because it was cheaper and more available, and I just wanted a basic box with volume knob and a power switch. Crown XLi 1500 fits the bill.

I've done a couple of gigs with it, and it's all good. Loud, clean, very low noise, stacks of headroom. Sounds like a Rusty Box. The idea is to run one cabinet per side, but so far I've only had to use CH1 with a single cab and that's been plenty loud.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby agiant on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:31 am

Yesterday I got a Traynor TS10 for the price of a joyo pedal. Note that here in Spain it's pretty hard to find these ancient Canadian artifacts!

It's cool, but for now I prefer the Marshall Lead 12 as solid state practice amp.
blah
agiant
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Princeton Chorus

Postby Bubber on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm trying out someone's Princeton Chorus, late 90s apparently. I like the cleans (don't care for the other settings, but who cares) and a lightweight 2x10 solid state combo is a good size for me. Seller is a good dude, and he's not asking much for it, $100. My only question is about the board-mounted jacks—they're a little fussy, and he says he's had some minor trouble with them, when last he's touched the amp (been a while, apparently). If it's going to be unreliable, and too complex to spend on fixing it, then that wouldn't be worth the $100 to me. So. Thoughts on the jacks on these puppies?
Bubber
inman jackson
inman jackson

Re: Princeton Chorus

Postby benadrian on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Bubber wrote:I'm trying out someone's Princeton Chorus, late 90s apparently. I like the cleans (don't care for the other settings, but who cares) and a lightweight 2x10 solid state combo is a good size for me. Seller is a good dude, and he's not asking much for it, $100. My only question is about the board-mounted jacks—they're a little fussy, and he says he's had some minor trouble with them, when last he's touched the amp (been a while, apparently). If it's going to be unreliable, and too complex to spend on fixing it, then that wouldn't be worth the $100 to me. So. Thoughts on the jacks on these puppies?

Those specialized Fender jacks can be weird, and they're known to have problems. However, you can usually find replacements through CE distribution, and swapping them is pretty easy for anyone who has ever soldered. It might take some time to get the circuit board in and out, but that's more time, not difficulty. $100 seems like a solid deal. Black knob, not red knob, right?
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Bubber on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Black knob, yes. Thanks, Ben! Hope you're feeling better.
Bubber
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby weezy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Hey amp guys, I got an Acoustic Control 320 bass head that's making a low rumbling noise. I can play through it fine/everything works, except the power rocker switch is broken (amp is permanently on). Otherwise there's just the weird rumbling.

I am going to open it up tomorrow to look at the switch, I don't know where to look for the noise...
weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby Fat Goth on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 am

Apologies if they've already been mentioned, but I've always wanted to try out the Hilbish stuff. Buzz from the Melvins has been using them with a SS poweramp for a while now:

http://hilbishdesign.bigcartel.com/
Fat Goth
jock
jock

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 am

weezy wrote:Hey amp guys, I got an Acoustic Control 320 bass head that's making a low rumbling noise. I can play through it fine/everything works, except the power rocker switch is broken (amp is permanently on). Otherwise there's just the weird rumbling.

I am going to open it up tomorrow to look at the switch, I don't know where to look for the noise...

Most likely power supply caps filter caps. Replace them.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 am

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/d ... 48376.html

I'm intrigued. People just give solid state shit away, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Would be cool to use as a vocal amp at some point.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:30 am

Riff Magnum wrote:https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/d/fet-amplifier-cab-combo/6487448376.html

I'm intrigued. People just give solid state shit away, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these. Would be cool to use as a vocal amp at some point.

That's identical to any number of 60s Japanese solid-state amps that were imported to the US. I had a National GA-920P that had a similar build quality, probably made in the same factory. They're nothing special. Probably not nearly powerful enough to use as a vocal amp, unless you want a lo-fi sound for recording or something.
Nate Dort

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am

Cool. At the very least I must keep this thread alive. Totally converted to solid state for live and rehearsals.
Riff Magnum

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:53 am

The H/H bass amps are really great.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Mason on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Had a real good time recording with an EHX Dirt Road Special recently. Need to get one of my own.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby weezy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Local guy is selling an Ampeg B3 (techincallly a B3158 - bi-amped 15" and 8" drivers) for $40. Input jack is f'ed up and the 'main speaker sounds fuzzy'. For what this thing is, an 84 lb. 150W combo amp, I'm not sure if it's worth fixing and flipping. Guy is also selling a Fender 1000 Roc Pro?? for nothing, I have no idea WTF that thing is.

weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room