home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby garthplinko on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
garthplinko wrote:I know we talked about this on FB a bit, but just wanted to post it here: If you're getting break up at reasonable volumes, the person that previously owned is incorrect. Something beyond just the tone pots have been changed.

to be fair, 'reasonable' is subjective.

Fair enough. Not sure how I could quantify it any better though.

I will say I'd like to know what was done to Snowblinder's though so I can have it done to mine.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Snowblinder on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm

If anyone reading this is an amp tech, local to the Chicago/Milwaukee area, and wants to open it up and have a look (and replace those original filter caps while you're in there), let me know. I'd love a definitive word on how original this thing is.

I do like to play loud, so the tones I'm getting and loving are happening with the volume at about 6 or 7. Treble 7, bass 2, Low Range Expander (midrange) 6, Hi Range Expander (presence) 7. Apparently those are bizarre settings for these amps, but it sounds awesome to me.
Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Tommy on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Snowblinder wrote:If anyone reading this is an amp tech, local to the Chicago/Milwaukee area, and wants to open it up and have a look (and replace those original filter caps while you're in there), let me know. I'd love a definitive word on how original this thing is.

I do like to play loud, so the tones I'm getting and loving are happening with the volume at about 6 or 7. Treble 7, bass 2, Low Range Expander (midrange) 6, Hi Range Expander (presence) 7. Apparently those are bizarre settings for these amps, but it sounds awesome to me.

If you have both the treble and presence on 7, it's been modded. Not sure just changing volume pots to 1M and clipping the bright cap would get you there. Maybe, if your pickups are both dark and almost touching your strings.

I'm pretty shocked an "amp tech" owner didn't replace the electrolytics when he went in for other stuff.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Incredible pedal. Best sounding Memory Man I’ve played, and I’m not sad about it having no modulation.
Preamp is always on and sounds very good for regular lead guitar, but it definitely colors your sound. Not in a bad way at all. The echos bleed through when it’s off, and again, not in a bad way at all.
If a DOD 680’s delays encourage piano-like resonances and vibrations, this thing cuts more. Still definitely an analog delay, of course.
For a whole set I might need to put it in a TB loop. Will end up trying it through an LS-2 as FM Tommy advised in detail in another thread, but I want to exploit the preamp for now.
Developed a subtle high pitch whine after playing for hours. Like a dog whistle or something. I’ll mess with I tomorrow and see what’s up.
Don’t really know what the squelch switch does - I know it’s for when you’re sending hot signals to the pedal. It changes the sound some when I flipped it on but not enough to matter, so I left it off.
Of course it has a power chord and that sucks since I’m all batteries at this point. I need to get my pedal board setup soon but I hate doing that shit.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby TylerSavage on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm

throw that thing in an effects loop and the overdrive from it sounds phenomenal.
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon

Postby Tommy on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:14 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Developed a subtle high pitch whine after playing for hours. Like a dog whistle or something. I’ll mess with I tomorrow and see what’s up.

That's clock noise. The video below shows pretty concisely how to eliminate it. If you do this, I strongly encourage you to not adjust any other trim pot.

phpBB [media]
Tommy

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Tommy wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Developed a subtle high pitch whine after playing for hours. Like a dog whistle or something. I’ll mess with I tomorrow and see what’s up.

That's clock noise. The video below shows pretty concisely how to eliminate it. If you do this, I strongly encourage you to not adjust any other trim pot.

phpBB [media]

Thanks! I’ve had delay pedals I bought used that were basically ruined (to me) because of trim pot fuckery. Will mess with it tonight.

edit: the high pitch noise turned out to be a damn overdrive pedal. Replaced the battery and everything was fine.
Last edited by llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:39 pm

TylerSavage wrote:throw that thing in an effects loop and the overdrive from it sounds phenomenal.

I bet! I kind of wish I did more recording to exploit it. I know it’s a pretty standard Memory Man, I’m just surprised at all the sounds I can get out of this thing. Never made the connection before, but they’re like little Echoplexes. Delays are just a part of it.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Earthbound Audio Throat Locust: nothing can replace my missing Dunwich HM-2, but this is also a very good HM-2 when used into a dirty, middy amp.
biscuitdough
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby jbar on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Tronographic Boxidizer-

CLANG. SHEENG. CLANG.

That weird, dry grit is fantastic. I love it.

Super awesome with medium output p90s, terrible, absolutely awful with high output humbuckers and detuning.
jbar
staple singers
staple singers

Postby legit_hamster on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 am

@jbar - Fvck. Was planning on using that on a B-standard EGC with Drop & Gain PU's...playing "ze heavy stuffs" :( Thanks for the heads up though...
legit_hamster

Postby kazoozak on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm

Squier Bullet Mustang.

squier mustang.png
squier mustang.png (220.03 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Picture from the Reverb posting.

I'm betting anything that matte black pickguard is just the stock one that someone just spray-painted. I used a silver sharpie on the beveled edges to make it pop out; I hate the look otherwise.

Playability--the short, thin neck really accommodates my presidential hands (yuk yuk). My right hand sometimes hits the toggle switch but it shouldn't take long for me to get used to the position. The design of the top-loading bridge though is a concern, with the saddle intonation screws dampening the high E and B strings sometimes. Still, for the most part it plays well.

Sound--ok I guess

So, somewhat underwhelming stock but it seems like it should take mods well and it's super light and comfortable to play.

Mods to come in the near future: swap out the hums for hum-sized P90s, swap out the bridge. Maybe the switch and pots if I feel like it but it's probably fine. I was gonna also swap out the matte black pickguard for a real-ass B/W/B but I'll live with this for the time being.
kazoozak
the white ho
the white ho

Postby jbar on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:38 am

legit_hamster wrote:@jbar - Fvck. Was planning on using that on a B-standard EGC with Drop & Gain PU's...playing "ze heavy stuffs" :( Thanks for the heads up though...

Hey, your mileage may vary. I'm just not getting a good racket from it. For the record, the pickup in question is a Gibson Dirty Fingers, which I believe is somewhere around 16k, so you could have a much different experience.
jbar
staple singers
staple singers

Postby JohnnySomersett on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Gibson Firebird Non-Reverse

Got this on a good deal as new old stock. Fit & finish better than I expected for a modern Gibson. Came with horrid skinny strings on which I immediately cut off and popped a set of my usual 11-56 on. However, and I'm guessing it's because of the shorter scale than I'm used to (everything I own is 25.5") no amount of setting up can get rid of some nasty fret-buzz when I'm even remotely digging in.

I've ordered a set of 12-60 strings and will see if that does anything to help.

Sounds pretty good though, nice and bright. Pickups are a tad hot but I read that was the case before I ordered it so no real surprise.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:no amount of setting up can get rid of some nasty fret-buzz when I'm even remotely digging in.

have you checked for high frets? using a fret rocker, or a DIY one, you might be able to find some high ones causing the buzz.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby bdm on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:45 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:no amount of setting up can get rid of some nasty fret-buzz when I'm even remotely digging in.

have you checked for high frets? using a fret rocker, or a DIY one, you might be able to find some high ones causing the buzz.

You definitely could do with a good fret dress and perhaps some adjustment of the nut and saddles.
bdm
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby JohnnySomersett on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 pm

bdm wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

You definitely could do with a good fret dress and perhaps some adjustment of the nut and saddles.

Nut & saddles I've done. Haven't checked the frets yet. It's buzzing on the low E-string (well, C# in my tuning) pretty much all the way up when played remotely hard - I think it's mostly the excursion of the string.

I will check the frets though. I've not got a lot on this weekend so I can spend some time with it.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Tommy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am

JohnnySomersett wrote:
bdm wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

Nut & saddles I've done. Haven't checked the frets yet. It's buzzing on the low E-string (well, C# in my tuning) pretty much all the way up when played remotely hard - I think it's mostly the excursion of the string.

I will check the frets though. I've not got a lot on this weekend so I can spend some time with it.

Sounds like the neck is too flat. Have you checked the relief? You might need to loosen the truss rod a quarter turn.
Tommy

Postby JohnnySomersett on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Tommy wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:
bdm wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:

Sounds like the neck is too flat. Have you checked the relief? You might need to loosen the truss rod a quarter turn.

yeah, that's one of the first things I did when I changed up to heavier strings. It's settled a bit now, and it's almost there. The 12-60's should arrive tomorrow so that'll be a good indicator. Not overly used to setting up Gibson's so it's a slight test but nothing majorly different to the years of doing offset Fenders....just subtle changes to the systems I have in place to get things how I like them.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:25 pm

UPDATE: Putting on the 12-60s and setup accordingly has solved the issue

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room