home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Keelyed modded Ibanez AD9. Sounds pretty good! All slapback sounds, basically, which is what I like. The oscillation switch doesn’t do me much good as I’m doing a two amp thing with an old tweed amp and an AC30 and it just flubs out the old Jensen speaker. Sounds cool when the amp is set clean though.

Wanted to compare it to the Malekko Lofi Echo, which does a really nice slapback delay, but the Malekko died on me at practice today. That’ll be the second one that has shit the bed on me, but I like how grainy the delays are so I might get another if I can find it for less than $80.

Old big box delays like the DOD 680 and the EHX Memory Man are still easily my favorite, but buying them is a real crapshoot and they don’t take batteries.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby kazoozak on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:45 pm

Agile Harm Baritone Guitar. FM tmidyett had this same model for a hot second. Looks pretty great. Fretboard doesn't seem really slick, but it's a minor issue. Pickups suck. Thinking of putting some cheap P-90s or DeArmond-style mount pickups to replace them.

agile bari.jpg

Ordered a Gibson L4-C pickguard from WD Music because I don't do No Pickguards, then dremeled and drilled to make it all fit.
kazoozak
the white ho
the white ho

Postby numberthirty on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 pm

kazoozak wrote:Agile Harm Baritone Guitar. FM tmidyett had this same model for a hot second. Looks pretty great. Fretboard doesn't seem really slick, but it's a minor issue. Pickups suck. Thinking of putting some cheap P-90s or DeArmond-style mount pickups to replace them.

agile bari.jpg

Ordered a Gibson L4-C pickguard from WD Music because I don't do No Pickguards, then dremeled and drilled to make it all fit.

I like where this is going.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:37 pm

That said...

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby Facundo on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 am

ElectroVoice Co7: Excellent cheap mic for voices. Clear sound, dark but candid, much less proximity effect than a SM58, silent and stable in situations where other microphones that multiply this price would do coupling. Perfect solution mic for that kind of events where there's risk of singer's microphone hitting the floor. It costs $34 new and maybe it'd be totally alive after the hit. Good quality for starters.

ElectroVoice Co4: Ugliest than the Shure SM57 (hard feat to get), similar sound, fast dark response, acceptable signal coloring, but perfect substitute of the 57 for 1/4 of the price of a motherfucking 57, and better. Also $34.
Facundo
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby LBx on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:28 pm

YBA1 Mod1:

0.1 watts on this thing is way too f*cking loud. Seriously! I know watts and perceived volume don't corespondent in tandem but damn... Was hoping to run both channels in series and avoid pedals all together :roll:. Not going to happen at "bedroom" volume. 100% excellent otherwise but still. Not what I grabbed it for. [/out comes the Ross]
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:44 am

LBx wrote:YBA1 Mod1:

0.1 watts on this thing is way too f*cking loud. Seriously! I know watts and perceived volume don't corespondent in tandem but damn... Was hoping to run both channels in series and avoid pedals all together :roll:. Not going to happen at "bedroom" volume. 100% excellent otherwise but still. Not what I grabbed it for. [/out comes the Ross]

What specific mod is this?
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby bishopdante on Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:26 pm

0.1w is...

0.1 -[double]- 1 -[double]- 10 -[double]- 100... approx 1/8th of the volume of a Marshall full stack turned up to maximum.

Using a low-sensitivity speaker would shave off a bunch of the loud.

This sort of thing: https://www.parts-express.com/peerless- ... --264-1126

Being so tiny, it's only capable of 80dB/w@1m, but also due to miniature size will work up to 20kHz, so to sound like a conventional guitar cab, you would want to fit it with a passive crossover reducing the HF response to 5kHz, or 2kHz, but building such a thing to function at 0.1w would not require expensive parts. Could also thieve a low pass crossover out of any cheapo hifi speaker found chucked in your local trashcan.

Could also use something like this with 5dB more sensitivity and no need for a lowpass: https://www.parts-express.com/acoustic- ... --299-2048

If you are only using small power and small low sensitivity speaker, no harm in building a balsa wood or foam board open back box for it with an exacto knife.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... 4bf0ba5a97
Last edited by bishopdante on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby LBx on Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:What specific mod is this?

Built in attenuator and internal channel jumping...
LBx

Postby 154 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 am

That's one of the main reasons I got rid of mine: just too loud for home playing, and it sounds thin and brittle at low volume settings.

I think the key to home playing would be a 2x12 closed back with some really inefficient 25w speakers, but.. that's the opposite of what I have.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am

A week or so ago I made that little power amp and 1x15 rig for my IVP. I managed to succeed in the cheap/old/cool looking department. Peavey power amp was $50, Sonic bottom ported 1x15 with horn and tweeters was $30. It's got the knob on the back to adjust the level (if any) that goes to the horn. Actually sounds great with the horn in the mix just a touch. Inside the code tells me the 15 is an Eminence from '81, it looks new! Sounds good for bass but I have a hard time deciding on my IVP settings for bass. Sounds great with a guitar, though, I played an EGC through it for a bit. Very pleased.
Attachments
IMG_9738 (1).JPG
TomWanderer
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Hotone Skyline Krush Bit Crusher.

This is half the size of an MXR and sounds fucking insane. Love it. Squaaaaaaaaassssshhhh.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby LBx on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:50 am

154 wrote:That's one of the main reasons I got rid of mine: just too loud for home playing, and it sounds thin and brittle at low volume settings.
This one sounds really excellent clean or slightly driven at lower volumes. Very different than the OG I'm sure. I think I read it's because of where the attenuation occurs in the circuit. Can't describe it technically but different than how the aftermarket stuff works far as I can tell... I had a Guitar Mate I couldn't get up to 1 with neighbours and sounded the way you describe.

154 wrote:I think the key to home playing would be a 2x12 closed back with some really inefficient 25w speakers, but.. that's the opposite of what I have.
Thinking a 1x12 for the new year possibly. Can grab one of these way cheap close to home. I've a cabinet builder in the Ottawa/Mtl region recommended as well...
LBx

Postby Tommy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:31 am

It's been a busy two months of dirt pedals. Going to try to hit them all with micro reviews

Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker - Was hoping this was in the realm of Rangemasters (which I now see is their Bows). Turns out this thing has way too much emphasis on the highend for my setups. It probably has a use for someone, but definitely not me. I actually hate it. can be yours for $65 shipped ConUS.

Earthquaker Devices Talons - Was looking for a Marshally pedal that had more flexibility than my Rats do. After trying several of what the shop had to offer, I went with this guy. Pretty nice! The tonestack knobs all pretty much have a very useful range. This might be the first presence knob I've loved. Sounds great through my AC30 and OR120. Less so through an alnico speaker in a 20-watt amp at home (gets fizzy). Solid pedal. Underappreciated pedal in their line. Thanks for the hookup, Rich.

Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo V3 - I was a big fan of V2. Can do spring reverby types of sounds with a hint of slapback. I sold V2 to my bandmate because the bypass pop on it was extreme in my setup. this new version has the relay and they've reduced hiss. Love it. Again, thanks, Rich.

JHS Sweet Tea V3 - This has the Angry Charlie and their Moonshine in one unit. Found this on Reverb for the price of just the Angry Charlie, so I jumped on it. The AC was the pedal I really wanted to try when I went looking for a 3-band EQ Marshall pedal. I like the AC overall a bit more than the Talons. The distortion is smoother. Sadly it doesn't go quite as low gain overdrive as the Talons, and I kinda miss the presence control. But the AC doesn't sound fizzy at all. Less thrilled with the Moonshine side, but I was never a Tube Screamer fan. This is probably the best version of the 808 I've tried though. I can dial in a very similar sound to how I use my Hotcake. I'm moving the Hotcake and the Talons to my home setup.

Electro-Harmonix Green Russian Big Muff - finally! Someone got the Tone knob right on one of these things. Sounds pretty much exactly how I remember my green civil war muff sounding. I still wish someone would make one of these without all the high gain hum when not playing. Damn things always make a case for a noise gate. Anyway, if this thing had a tone bypass switch it would rule the world for Big Muffs for me. Traded a noise gate toward this guy.

Moog MF Drive - holy shit these things are ballsy. Loving the unique sound of this thing. The filter and tone knobs work great together. Can't wait to try it with an expression pedal. Will report back. Their relay bypass SUCKS. There is a tiny delay where there is a signal gap either when you turn it on or off. Only one of them, but I forget which. Bought this from a buddy who needed to raise money for vet bills.

Chicago Stompworks 2-in-1 Bluesbreaker/Red Llama - I was at a guitar show and the CSW dude was selling all of his pedals cheap. I couldn't resist this one because I've always wanted to try both of these. Man, I'm really into the BB. Like really. I could see how this could probably be improved upon, but I'm liking it pretty much as-is. The Red Llama needs work. It has WAY too much volume and gain. Too bright as well. Especially when both sides are on. I'm considering adding a tone pot to allow me to both dial out some treble and reduce the volume somewhat.
Tommy

Postby KrisPoulin on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Retrograde UnderThruster
It's essentially a dbx 160 circuit in a stompbox.
No OverEasy function, but sounds great to me. Even with heavy compressing happening, details retained clarity.
KrisPoulin
cecil bill
cecil bill

Postby garthplinko on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am

Shure SE215

Never tried in-ears on stage (and still haven't) but upcoming project is going to need a click due to a looper going to midi sync. So saw these on sale and got a pair.

Holy shit, they are amazing so far. Great bass - and these are even single-driver. I saw you could spend pretty much "as much money as you want" on in-ears (with others having dual-drivers) but I am having a hard time understanding how much better 500/1000 in-ears could sound.

Will probably be using these to track drums from now on when recording instead of cans. Recommended.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby JohnnySomersett on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

garthplinko wrote:Shure SE215

Never tried in-ears on stage (and still haven't) but upcoming project is going to need a click due to a looper going to midi sync. So saw these on sale and got a pair.

Holy shit, they are amazing so far. Great bass - and these are even single-driver. I saw you could spend pretty much "as much money as you want" on in-ears (with others having dual-drivers) but I am having a hard time understanding how much better 500/1000 in-ears could sound.

Will probably be using these to track drums from now on when recording instead of cans. Recommended.

I read an article about how people like, say, Beyonce have 8-odd-driver in-ears and how they have a whole person dedicated to balancing their in-ear mix at shows (down to the minutest of detail with frequencies) and it seemed so fucking superfluous. Most gigs I play I can barely hear the monitors and still manage to sing (mostly) in key!

I'd love to try some in-ears one day but I doubt I'd need any more than a single driver in just one ear to get everything I would need.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby TylerSavage on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:56 pm

garthplinko wrote:Shure SE215

hey thanks - I got a pair given to me but couldn't ever rectify using them... I didn't even think about drum tracking in the confines of a windowless room.
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon

Postby Facundo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Shure SM90.

You could buy a pair of these excellent Omnidirectional -surface- microphones for less than $100 in reberb or ebay markets many of them in mint condition and have a good stereo for classical music, from choirs to pipe organs with extraordinary quality, clearance and quieteness (for this price i'm sayin'). I'm really impressed, if anyone wants a test I have some recordings as proof of my advice. Only con is which like all surface mics put down on the floor, reveals foot steps and crispy wooden floors.

In studio recording the application could be as room mic to catch the the bass drum boom or the first bass boot of an acoustic guitar. I haven't tried it still but it seems i'll use them a lot.
Facundo
pigmeat markham
pigmeat markham

Postby endofanera on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Facundo wrote:Shure SM90.

Only con is which like all surface mics put down on the floor, reveals foot steps and crispy wooden floors.

You don't have to put them on the floor. I think these are rather similar to PZM mics (they may indeed be PZMs for all I know about this specific model). I have mounted PZMs to walls, ceilings, and made for use panels before, all with varying degrees of excellent results.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room