home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby jbar on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Arturia Drumbrute-

Fugly knobs. Sounds great, nice and crunchy in places. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it goes boom ta pish pretty readily.

It's super easy to program. I now need to learn how to program something better than boom ta pish.
jbar
pinocchio
pinocchio
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Facundo on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:04 am

endofanera wrote:
Facundo wrote:Shure SM90.

Only con is which like all surface mics put down on the floor, reveals foot steps and crispy wooden floors.

You don't have to put them on the floor. I think these are rather similar to PZM mics (they may indeed be PZMs for all I know about this specific model). I have mounted PZMs to walls, ceilings, and made for use panels before, all with varying degrees of excellent results.


Yeah I know I can put it in mounts or other non horizontal surfaces. In these concrete cases i used the pair in the floor because it was important that the microphones were not visible on stage. The sound sources were a capella choirs or pipe organs in concerts at churches or cathedrals without any sound reinforcement system or PA. These recordings were for archival purposes of a cultural association and most of them will never be released to the public. If there is something to be released or require better quality, mixes or deeper detail we go with other three or four pairs of Earthworks QTC30, Bruel Kjaer/DPA omnis too, Neumann KM184 and things like that.
La Gaseosa de Subida / The Soda of Your Life
User avatar
Facundo
david hockney
david hockney
 
Posts: 775
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:40 pm

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby garthplinko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:54 pm

[quote="JohnnySomersett"
I'd love to try some in-ears one day but I doubt I'd need any more than a single driver in just one ear to get everything I would need.[/quote]

I highly recommend. Further, if all you need is your own vocals, say if you're playing at place w/ dodgy PA (two wedges on sticks and no monitors or whatever) you can get a single mic monitor from ART called the MyMonitor (should bring your own extra mic cable (AND LABEL IT)) and the Shures and it's only about $160 total new (and you can get a feed from the board to blend in if you want). The trick is that it's got you leashed to a cord, but if you're playing guitar, you're likely to be leashed anyway, so shouldn't be a big deal.

But getting it all on a wireless rig though is not at all cheap.

As a sound guy, would make my life tons easier if everyone used in-ears.
User avatar
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:53 am

Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster:

So I did finally get one. It was literally down to whether or not I'd be able to find a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar for cheaper.

So far I like it a lot. For whatever reason I tend to feel like I play fairly well on it, and it also seems like a good all-round guitar for me stylistically, like I could handle everything from sludgy noise to pretty jangle with it if I wanted. As much as I do enjoy standard Jaguars, I doubt they are as diverse as a Jazzmaster. So far, it does pretty jangle very well even through an average practice amp, but I haven't had a chance to really get noisy with it yet.

I definitely want to set it up for the shoegazey glide stuff sometime soon, too. This is the first guitar with a vibrato I've had that's felt at all useful to me.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:28 am

SecondEdition wrote:Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster:

So I did finally get one. It was literally down to whether or not I'd be able to find a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar for cheaper.

So far I like it a lot. For whatever reason I tend to feel like I play fairly well on it, and it also seems like a good all-round guitar for me stylistically, like I could handle everything from sludgy noise to pretty jangle with it if I wanted. As much as I do enjoy standard Jaguars, I doubt they are as diverse as a Jazzmaster. So far, it does pretty jangle very well even through an average practice amp, but I haven't had a chance to really get noisy with it yet.

I definitely want to set it up for the shoegazey glide stuff sometime soon, too. This is the first guitar with a vibrato I've had that's felt at all useful to me.


Awesome! I usually have to get used to new guitars, but it’s nice when you can connect with it right away. My Tele was like that. What color did you get?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby kazoozak on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:27 pm

Gretsch G2224 Junior Jet II Bass. Two pickup/sunburst version. I've been beating around a Memphis P-Bass copy for a while, which is really nice (and it helps that I got it for real cheap from an old bandmate) but I've wanted something in a short scale for my small hands.

I've had it for a few days now and it plays real well. It helps a lot that the neck's short scale but also thin (just like the Memphis P-Bass, and I'm under the impression that most P-Basses have thicker necks). The sound's pretty versatile between the two pickups, and on top of it all it looks cool. Definitely a keeper. Might be shopping around for someone to buy the P-Bass if none of my doggs jump on it.
User avatar
kazoozak
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Garlic City, CA

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster:

So I did finally get one. It was literally down to whether or not I'd be able to find a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar for cheaper.

So far I like it a lot. For whatever reason I tend to feel like I play fairly well on it, and it also seems like a good all-round guitar for me stylistically, like I could handle everything from sludgy noise to pretty jangle with it if I wanted. As much as I do enjoy standard Jaguars, I doubt they are as diverse as a Jazzmaster. So far, it does pretty jangle very well even through an average practice amp, but I haven't had a chance to really get noisy with it yet.

I definitely want to set it up for the shoegazey glide stuff sometime soon, too. This is the first guitar with a vibrato I've had that's felt at all useful to me.


Awesome! I usually have to get used to new guitars, but it’s nice when you can connect with it right away. My Tele was like that. What color did you get?


Sunburst. I have enough black guitars.

I usually get used to new guitars quick (the Les Paul I own was another story), but the test of really connecting with them is whether I can write with them. I recently got an Epiphone SG as well and I can write on that, so I hope I end up writing well with the Jazz.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Boombats on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 am

Image
Micro-review:

Weird semi-soft touch footswitch, supposedly true bypass, quieter than standard pop-prone true bypass switch like on my EHX "nano" Neo Clone, slight pause before returning to bypass

Good sound, pretty much what I was looking for, prefer it to the Neo Clone, lower noise floor (though not at nuthin cuz they never are)

Takes all 4 buttons at once to get me where I wanna be, YMMV

Claims to be zero point or whatever. Some settings seems like you can hear a sweep, but it's nowhere as defined as a regular analog chorus with the depth turned up. I prefer a digital detune style effect, but wanted something analog, and this thing nails it. None of the settings (16 possibilities! They all sort of sound the same!) go off the deep end, so if you want to make people sick you're out of luck but if you want to put silk sheets on the bed then it's great. Smoove and only $60
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 19854
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Catalinbread Naga Viper - got one of these in a trade. I've been considering trying out a Rangemaster type pedal for a long time and this is the one I went with. It was near impossible to auditions Rangemasters in a store due to the nature of how one typically uses them. Holy shit this thing is great. I wanted one to push another distortion pedal to have a "lead" type sound. BUT this thing sounds so great by itself I'm almost considering using it as my only distortion pedal. Sounds fantastic going into my Balls AC30 clone. I need another pedal when using the Orange though, because I have so much headroom left on that guy that engaging this pedal at the same settings destroys your ears. The Master volume on the Naga Viper helps with that though. Now I want to try a real germanium one in my setup, but I fear I really need that "Heat" knob if I'm going to use it driving another pedal. I've had to back it off a little to avoid nasty feedback. Totally recommended!

Image
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5472
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

Tommy wrote:Catalinbread Naga Viper - got one of these in a trade. I've been considering trying out a Rangemaster type pedal for a long time and this is the one I went with. It was near impossible to auditions Rangemasters in a store due to the nature of how one typically uses them. Holy shit this thing is great. I wanted one to push another distortion pedal to have a "lead" type sound. BUT this thing sounds so great by itself I'm almost considering using it as my only distortion pedal. Sounds fantastic going into my Balls AC30 clone. I need another pedal when using the Orange though, because I have so much headroom left on that guy that engaging this pedal at the same settings destroys your ears. The Master volume on the Naga Viper helps with that though. Now I want to try a real germanium one in my setup, but I fear I really need that "Heat" knob if I'm going to use it driving another pedal. I've had to back it off a little to avoid nasty feedback. Totally recommended!

Image


Hmmm... interesting!
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.


CS. PC. MM.
User avatar
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 22448
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 am
Location: Midwest, USA

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:26 pm

I truly wish that I could force everyone to at least *try* a Rangemaster into an appropriately sized amp as it is THEE tits distortion sound to be had. I try to push my Ballsmasters hard.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:I truly wish that I could force everyone to at least *try* a Rangemaster into an appropriately sized amp as it is THEE tits distortion sound to be had. I try to push my Ballsmasters hard.


Yours has been on my list for some time! But selling off pedals to free up cash has been hard as of late. :(
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5472
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Boombats on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:I truly wish that I could force everyone to at least *try* a Rangemaster into an appropriately sized amp as it is THEE tits distortion sound to be had. I try to push my Ballsmasters hard.

Ever build one into an amp?
User avatar
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog
 
Posts: 19854
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:31 am

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Boombats wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:I truly wish that I could force everyone to at least *try* a Rangemaster into an appropriately sized amp as it is THEE tits distortion sound to be had. I try to push my Ballsmasters hard.

Ever build one into an amp?


No, but only because no ones ever asked. Id imagine most people want one to be readily switchable so a pedal just works.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Boombats wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:I truly wish that I could force everyone to at least *try* a Rangemaster into an appropriately sized amp as it is THEE tits distortion sound to be had. I try to push my Ballsmasters hard.

Ever build one into an amp?


No, but only because no ones ever asked. Id imagine most people want one to be readily switchable so a pedal just works.


Also, they are generally thought to sound pretty shitty with a buffer between the guitar and the Rangemaster. Same as a fuzz face. (they get thin sounding). If you are a minimalist guitar - cord - amp guy that would definitely be up your alley.
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5472
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Snowblinder on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:03 am

Traynor YBA-1.

Image

This was a Craigslist score (thanks again Jeff!). I had been debating on getting either a Marshall 1987x or JTM-45. Then this amp entered my life and cured me of all of my Marshall lust. If there is a better sounding amp out there I have yet to hear it. I'm bad at describing tones, so here's a super basic generalization: plugging straight into the amp sounds like Powerage, while jumping channels sounds like Fair Warning. I have two other guitar amps that are awesome, Holy Grail level amps for me ('75 Orange OR120 and a handwired Vox AC30), and this Traynor sounds better than both of them. I bought it from an amp tech in northern Illinois who had owned and played it for over 20 years. He had this to say about it when I asked if it had been modded at all (I was convinced it had been):

"The amp is not modded but the treble pot was replaced and a few of the signal path caps have been replaced......If you open it up, you'll see the newer caps. I think some of them were Orange Drops. I think I replaced the coupling caps between the phase inverter and the output stage with stock values. Also replaced 2 of the tone stack caps with values I got off the internet but were very close to stock values. I think the bright cap was replaced as the old one went open......None of the filter caps have been replaced. The amp was always functioning normally so I never remember checking them. Of course that means they're almost 45 years old."

So that means I'm looking at changing the filter caps soon. In the meantime, I'm finding it nearly impossible to stop playing through this amp. It's inspiring.
User avatar
Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:00 am

Good score! The YBA-1 is really similar to a Marshall 1986 (Bass) head which is the best of the plexis if you ask me. Its real close to a JTM45, too, so you got pretty close to what you were originally after.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby garthplinko on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:12 am

I know we talked about this on FB a bit, but just wanted to post it here: If you're getting break up at reasonable volumes, the person that previously owned is incorrect. Something beyond just the tone pots have been changed.

This is not uncommon - those amps are apparently very easy to work on and seems like they were modded more often than not to be more usable for guitar players.

Without modding them, most often you'll see them as about the only amp where the treble is dialed all the way back.
User avatar
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
 
Posts: 3586
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: South Bend, Indiana

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

I've worked on a fair number of these, and very rarely were they unmodded.
At the very least, almost every one has had:

- Volume pots changed out for 1M
- bright cap clipped or replaced
- some kind of gain increase (bypass cap changing etc.)
User avatar
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash
 
Posts: 1024
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

garthplinko wrote:I know we talked about this on FB a bit, but just wanted to post it here: If you're getting break up at reasonable volumes, the person that previously owned is incorrect. Something beyond just the tone pots have been changed.


to be fair, 'reasonable' is subjective.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bdm and 2 guests