home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Turntable nerds... help

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Turntable nerds... help

Postby Gramsci on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

This came with my Dual CS505-4. It's a alternative counterweight...?

It's a CS4xx TT1...anyone know how to fit it...?
Last edited by Gramsci on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Re: What is this, and how do I use it...

Postby scott on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Just set it for whatever f-stop is appropriate for the ambient lighting, and make sure to set it for whatever mains voltage your country uses. Your bacon will be cooked to perfection!
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Gramsci on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:26 pm

I want a like button.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Gramsci wrote:alternative counterweight

Would not watch this early 90s grunge-based rock video show.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re: Turntable nerds... help

Postby Gramsci on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 am

Any of you turntable pros...?
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby madlee on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 am

Isn't this an extra counter weight that you add if you need it (for heavier cartridges?)
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby etch on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 am

It starts at 2.5 which is already pretty heavy. The Denon DL103 tracks at 2.5 but most modern carts track at 1.5-2.0 range. I don't think you'll need it. What cart do you have mounted?

It's hard to find info on your TT but I saw a forum post saying some of the DD duals had a port on the back of the tonearm where the extra counterweight is added. I think you look on the back and see if there is a way to remove the back and insert the weight.
PRF Singles Club Dropbox
http://lakeoffake.com/yum (Download Code)
lakeoffake.com
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Gramsci on Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks! Great lead. From I did some extra sniffing with this info and yes, it's an extra counterweight for heavier cartridges. It's rather nicer to look at then the original so it's kind of a shame it's not an "upgrade".

Thanks again.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby N1ck on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Yo dudes -

I have an Audio Technica LP120 (the Technics 1200 clone,) and suddenly I'm not hearing anything out of the right channel.

When I play CDs, I hear equally out of both channels, so it's definitely a record player thing.

Does anyone know what this is?

My wife confessed to me that she recently let the fucker spin all day on a label when she forgot to turn it off before leaving the house.

Would that have had a negative impact?

I'm also noticing there's an inordinate amount of noise on the outer groove (i.e. the moment or two before the first song on the side kicks in,) and there didn't used to be.

Are these problems related?
N1ck
kareem abdul jabbar
kareem abdul jabbar

Postby Teacher's Pet on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:23 pm

I'd start by flipping the L-R phono inputs.

The issue could be in your receiver's phono stage or the turntable. If the right channel kicks in when you flip the plugs, your TT is fine and the receiver's right channel is the problem. You should also try a few different LPs.

I doubt your wife's to blame. That sort of thing can degrade your stylus, but I doubt it would knock out one of the channels completely.
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby flyinghouses on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 pm

I have a Technics SL 1500 which was operating well until recently. After a year of not using it, it will not turn on. My only guess is a fuse but I have never dealt with this problem before. This is my first turntable and I don't know if i'm better off replacing it. I would love to restore this is possible. To me this is great turntable
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby regular username on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm

does it do anything (strobe light etc.)? first guess would be the fuse, or a mechanic defect of the "tonearm on-switch" (whatever they're called), or maybe a bad capacitor on the circuit board
regular username
seminarian
seminarian

Postby Redline on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Many of the Technics turntables from that era have a circuit board under the platter, and on that board there are fuses that sometimes blow. This might help.
phpBB [media]

I have an SL 1500 MK2 that works great, the sticker on the platter says "Don't remove the platter if you don't have to, it's part of the motor you bastard" etc., so I never removed it.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Marantz 6300: micro-switches

Postby Bubber on Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Hiya. Anybody ever swap out the micro-switches in a Marantz 6300? I really like the turntable but it's been out of commission for a few years. I can get switches in good condition to replace the corroded ones, but the tech down the street says it's time consuming to swap `em out and he doesn't want to do it. Any sage advice?
Bubber
inman jackson
inman jackson

Postby chris jury on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:11 pm

Well, it seems like we're all having issues w/ our turntables. Here is mine:
Technics SL1600- sounds great. Got it and my KEF K series speakers and 90's Yamaha receiver in trade for a junk guitar. However, the turntable has never worked properly. The start/stop feature is non functional-it will simply pick up the tone arm, send it all the way to the middle, click, then bring it back, set it down and turn off. Same thing happens when you pick up the toe arm to do it manually. The first record of the night I typically have to pick up and move the tome arm around, back and forth a few times...then it will work manually. I assume this is a 'Take it to the stereo doctor' situation.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby motorbike guy on Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:23 am

chris jury wrote:Well, it seems like we're all having issues w/ our turntables. Here is mine:
Technics SL1600- sounds great. Got it and my KEF K series speakers and 90's Yamaha receiver in trade for a junk guitar. However, the turntable has never worked properly. The start/stop feature is non functional-it will simply pick up the tone arm, send it all the way to the middle, click, then bring it back, set it down and turn off. Same thing happens when you pick up the toe arm to do it manually. The first record of the night I typically have to pick up and move the tome arm around, back and forth a few times...then it will work manually. I assume this is a 'Take it to the stereo doctor' situation.

you can take the platter apart and just disable the tonearm mover thing. there is likely an arm connected to the tonearm assembly and a system of pins and gears that, when triggered, is supposed to move the tonearm back to the resting position. I would just disconnect all that noise.

oh you want your tonearm to return to the resting position and the table to stop rotating? I bet once you get the platter off you can see what is wrong. it will be simple and obvious.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:25 pm

flyinghouses wrote:I have a Technics SL 1500 which was operating well until recently. After a year of not using it, it will not turn on. My only guess is a fuse but I have never dealt with this problem before. This is my first turntable and I don't know if i'm better off replacing it. I would love to restore this is possible. To me this is great turntable

Perhaps not a fuse if it's just been sitting idle. If the fuse has blown it's often an indication something else has gone wrong. It may be that a rust spot has corroded one of your circuit traces or something dumb like that. But check the fuses first...

Things that don't turn on at all are often the simplest things to fix as it's probably just not getting power. If it's not fuses, then what you do next depends on whether you're the sort of person who owns a multimeter.

I would say there's a high probability it can be repaired and probably quite easily. The next thing to do is check the power supply is working correctly, and then work your way back from there.
Anthony Flack

Return to Tech Room