home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bizarre Japanese Guitars Thread

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Bizarre Japanese Guitars Thread

Postby andyman on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:51 am

I'm going home for Christmas and think I may finally get around to fixing up the shit electronics in my [probably] Japanese guitar. The dude I bought it off of said it's probably a Teisco:

Any ideas?
The switch towards the controls has 3 positions, that towards the neck has 2 positions. One of the combinations is a kill switch.

(Sorry for the shit pictures. Best I could get my hands on...)
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby TimeSnow on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:47 am

andyman wrote:I'm going home for Christmas and think I may finally get around to fixing up the shit electronics in my [probably] Japanese guitar. The dude I bought it off of said it's probably a Teisco:

[img]https://s21.postimg[img][/img].org/k8a550rs7/full.jpg[/img]

Any ideas?
The switch towards the controls has 3 positions, that towards the neck has 2 positions. One of the combinations is a kill switch.

A lot of folks online think it's made by Kawai... Possibly for the Alden catalog.

If you google Kawai Holiday guitar you'll see some.

TimeSnow
ensign
ensign

Postby sleepkid on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:08 am

andyman wrote:I'm going home for Christmas and think I may finally get around to fixing up the shit electronics in my [probably] Japanese guitar. The dude I bought it off of said it's probably a Teisco:

Any ideas?

Yes. As TimeSnow said, most likely it's (say 90% probable) a Kawai. Circa 1966 or so. The only thing slightly odd about that one is the truss rod cover, but they went through so many different minor variations over time, wouldn't surprise me to see something new. Those pickups were more common for 1965, but the zero fret on Kawai guitars really started turning up in around 67 or so. So, split the difference and I'll guess 1966.

The slide switches are just on/off for each pickup. So, 4 possible combinations, with one of them being both off.
PRF Records Club. Records for the PRF made by the PRF. Read about it here.
Get the music here: http://www.lakeoffake.com
sleepkid

Postby andyman on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:00 pm

Oh wow, you guys rock. Thanks for this. The guy had new a bridge and tuners made so now it's one of the most playable guitars I've had.

sleepkid wrote:The slide switches are just on/off for each pickup. So, 4 possible combinations, with one of them being both off

Not sure I follow (2x3=6), but I'll play with it when I'm back and see what's up.
Last edited by andyman on Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby TimeSnow on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:23 pm

andyman wrote:Oh wow, you guys rock. Thanks for this. The guy had new a bridge and tuners made so now it's one of the most playable guitars I've had.

The love of Kawai guitars is pretty amazing and intense!

If you poke around a bit you'll find multiple people that own dozens! They really mean the world to some folks! Play it with pride!
TimeSnow
ensign
ensign

Postby TimeSnow on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:56 pm

sleepkid wrote:So, next up in the "what guitar will you play in the post-apocalypse world" is this:

---

c. 1964 Tesico TG-64

Rare one as this has the dot markers and a slab fretboard instead of the side markers with binding and veneer board (though not all had veneer boards).

I'm slightly inclined to think this was a factory custom order or something, because the neck was clearly black at one point, but the body was clearly red at one point. It looks like they grabbed one body, one neck (with dot markers) and then resprayed them as per a request. The refinish dates way back as the area underneath where the trem cover was is still pristine (which also suggests that the trem cover was very recently lost). It doesn't have the feeling of an amateur refinish.

Needs a lot of work.

I actually just saw one of these on YouTube that is essentially new:

phpBB [media]
TimeSnow
ensign
ensign

Postby sleepkid on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:19 am

andyman wrote:The switch towards the controls has 3 positions, that towards the neck has 2 positions. One of the combinations is a kill switch.

andyman wrote:Oh wow, you guys rock. Thanks for this. The guy had new a bridge and tuners made so now it's one of the most playable guitars I've had.

sleepkid wrote:The slide switches are just on/off for each pickup. So, 4 possible combinations, with one of them being both off

Not sure I follow (2x3=6), but I'll play with it when I'm back and see what's up.

Sorry.

I misread what you first wrote. I'm actually a little puzzled by it too. You say the slide switch closest to the bridge has three positions? It doesn't look like a 3 position slide switch (like a Mustang) and I'd be surprised if it was. Are you sure you're not just shorting out between positions maybe (hard to see how that would give you a different sound) ?

Usually those guitars are just on/off for each pickup. Unless someone installed a 3 position switch, but it doesn't look like the pickguard has been routed to accommodate the extra slide length needed for such a switch.

So, that's why I said 4 possible combinations. 2 switches, each with 2 positions. 4 combinations (bridge on/neck off. bridge off/neck on. both on. both off.)
sleepkid

Postby andyman on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:37 am

No, positive it's 2x3. If you look closely the switch on the right is bigger than the left, allowing only 2 stops. Who knows, though, it very well may have been modified.
andyman

Postby sleepkid on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:48 am

andyman wrote:No, positive it's 2x3. If you look closely the switch on the right is bigger than the left, allowing only 2 stops. Who knows, though, it very well may have been modified.

Interesting. Someone added Phase inversion maybe? Or a tone cut?
sleepkid

Postby andyman on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:54 am

I'm going to pull the pickguard off when I get back (or try and convince my brother to, now) and see what's up. I'll have a go at trying to understand the wiring, but I'll post here in case it's an original job?
andyman

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:17 am

MatthewK wrote:Well I am feeling pretty damn pleased. A little more paint, some laser decal paper, picture research and a few sessions in Illustrator later ...
and we're done. Sounds amazing, looks amazing, 50 years old (except for the neck!), a true gem from the Moridaira factory.

This is just amazing. Great job. Great call with the gold; I'd never have thought of that.
VaticanShotglass
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby VaticanShotglass on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 am

elisha wiesner wrote:

Very nice guitar. I think this sort of headstock is really cool. I never hear much comment on it, but it is a fairly novel design (unless it is a knock off of something I'm not aware of). Off topic, what sort of chair is that it's sitting in?

This is just a great project. Super, super cool.
VaticanShotglass
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:11 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:
elisha wiesner wrote:

Very nice guitar. I think this sort of headstock is really cool. I never hear much comment on it, but it is a fairly novel design (unless it is a knock off of something I'm not aware of). Off topic, what sort of chair is that it's sitting in?

I really have ended up loving this guitar. After I planed the board, re-fretted it and made a new nut it's just a joy to play. Plus, it sounds killer. My band did some overdubs with it last week on a record we're working on and I played a set with a surf band on Saturday with it. It's probably my favorite tremolo right now.

The chair is a 70's Steelcase that my wife and I picked up at a junk shop on our honeymoon.
elisha wiesner

Postby MatthewK on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:28 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:This is just amazing. Great job. Great call with the gold; I'd never have thought of that.

Neither did I actually. I intended to go with aged white and then FM sleepkid was photoshopping a few different suggestions which I didn't really warm to - then gold came up and we both realised it was the answer.
The great thing is that the guitar is *sensationally* good - it was a total crapshoot and should not have worked, being the bastard offspring of a 60s body and an 80s neck from a different maker. But clearly FM sleepkid knows his onions.
MatthewK
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:22 am

Onions very well known, indeed.

Elisha, I dig those chairs. In one of the libraries In which I used to study they had some similar orange/red ones that look just like the ones in the police station in that True Detectives show (nice sets, hated the show). Sans armrests they strike me as perfect guitar noodling chairs. I'm getting too old to sit hours cross legged on the floor watching black and white space movies and writing riffs.
VaticanShotglass
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby showering inferno on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:16 pm

so sad to see this thread end at page 34. spent all morning absolutely spellbound.
showering inferno

Postby Teacher's Pet on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Any info on this little $100 bass?

Looks kinda cool to me.

Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Maurice on Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Teacher's Pet wrote:Any info on this little $100 bass?

Looks kinda cool to me.

I'd say check it out. Looks not too dissimilar from my little Teisco tulip short-scale...but that pickup is new to me, and the separate bridge looks a lot like the bridge on my CMI. Could be fun, and it looks extremely clean.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:41 pm

That's the bass equivalent of the Harmony H802 guitar. Made in Korea with some Japanese parts. Sold under a number of names. I find them to be pretty terrible.
elisha wiesner

Postby Mason on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room