home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Woodworking Thread

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby eliya on Tue May 30, 2017 4:32 pm

twelvepoint wrote:
That was an amazingly vague answer. Sorry.


Not at all:

twelvepoint wrote:The wood portion gets warm, maybe like 100 degrees.


That's what I wanted to know!

I built the front and two sides frames today. Will glue it up later this week and then paint it. Thanks for the help, bud!
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7520
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby TylerSavage on Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm

+1 for wipe on poly.
User avatar
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby eliya on Tue May 30, 2017 11:45 pm

Can I paint over the poly?
User avatar
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7520
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:37 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby TylerSavage on Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 am

I've never tried, I don't see why not other than you would want to sand it level and with wipe on you're pretty thin
User avatar
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby gnangle on Wed May 31, 2017 10:16 pm

high temperature ceramic fiber paper is perfect for lining the inside of a radiator cover(16th thick is more than enough),you can find it on ebay or online,apply with fasteners not glue . if you can still find marinite board that also works but i think they stopped making marinite?
gnangle
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:59 am
Location: masonic lodge on an island.

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby gnangle on Wed May 31, 2017 10:17 pm

oh and also you could use micah sheet!
gnangle
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:59 am
Location: masonic lodge on an island.

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I finished this guitar last week. Super psyched with how it came out. I have two more that will be done soon and I've already started in on some stuff like top and back joining for a few I'm going to make this winter.

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4094
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby TylerSavage on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:11 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:I finished this guitar last week. Super psyched with how it came out. I have two more that will be done soon and I've already started in on some stuff like top and back joining for a few I'm going to make this winter.

Image

Image

Image

Image


nice! what kind of finish on that?
User avatar
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:42 pm

TylerSavage wrote:nice! what kind of finish on that?


Hand rubbed shellac followed by lacquer.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4094
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:55 am

Beautiful!
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5118
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby endofanera on Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 am

That is fantastic. Really.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4928
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby Nico Adie on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:15 am

Beautiful work, Elisha.
User avatar
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2876
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:26 am
Location: Scotland

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby bassdriver on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:24 am

endofanera wrote:That is fantastic. Really.


+1! outstanding work!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
User avatar
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby Bubber on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:45 am

God, I would play that with my teeth all the time just to be able to show off the back. That's gorgeous.
User avatar
Bubber
inman jackson
inman jackson
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Lozenge Alias & Mapolis

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 am

WOOD
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am

What kinda wood is easily available, non-endangered and not crazy money that i can build something that will most closely resemble old 60's/70's teak furniture?

Image

I have something to build but I want it to try and match the stuff we have in our house as best as possible. I heard iroko is close but big furniture panels are hard to find and expensive.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
User avatar
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am
Location: UK

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:42 am

JohnnySomersett wrote:What kinda wood is easily available, non-endangered and not crazy money that i can build something that will most closely resemble old 60's/70's teak furniture?

Image

I have something to build but I want it to try and match the stuff we have in our house as best as possible. I heard iroko is close but big furniture panels are hard to find and expensive.


I guess it depends on what your definition of not crazy money is. Most nice exotic hardwood is pricey, especially in wide pieces. Cherry is nice and is typically a bit cheaper here than exotic woods but I don't know about in the UK. I've seen English Walnut that I thought was beautiful and maybe it's less expensive over there? There are about a million woods sold as "Mahogany" and many of them are really nice. Maybe look around for one of the cheaper ones. The piece you posted looks more like Mahogany than Teak to me anyhow.

Also, I should point out that the piece you posted is almost certainly laminate and they make some really nice exotic plywoods.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4094
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby TylerSavage on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Probably the photo lighting, that looks like it could be teak. I agree though mahogany and cherry will do fine jobs, there are definitely other Teak alternatives but they're getting popular too and might still seem expensive.
Sapele looks (and sounds) almost identical to mahogany but is cheaper. It can also be a @%!@ to work with with.
User avatar
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:37 am
Location: San Diego

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

elisha wiesner wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:What kinda wood is easily available, non-endangered and not crazy money that i can build something that will most closely resemble old 60's/70's teak furniture?

Image

I have something to build but I want it to try and match the stuff we have in our house as best as possible. I heard iroko is close but big furniture panels are hard to find and expensive.


I guess it depends on what your definition of not crazy money is. Most nice exotic hardwood is pricey, especially in wide pieces. Cherry is nice and is typically a bit cheaper here than exotic woods but I don't know about in the UK. I've seen English Walnut that I thought was beautiful and maybe it's less expensive over there? There are about a million woods sold as "Mahogany" and many of them are really nice. Maybe look around for one of the cheaper ones. The piece you posted looks more like Mahogany than Teak to me anyhow.

Also, I should point out that the piece you posted is almost certainly laminate and they make some really nice exotic plywoods.


Yeah, almost all this stuff (it was EVERYWHERE in the UK in that era) is just OSB veneered with teak - it goes that Orange hue as it ages. There is some solid teak out there but they command proper money. That sideboard you could pick up over here for less than a hundred pounds, but the solid ones are thousands!

I'll take a look at cherry. The teak laminate has a very tight grain so that's the main thing I'm looking for as I can stain to the right colour relatively easily I think.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
User avatar
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1304
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 am
Location: UK

Re: The Woodworking Thread

Postby djimbe on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:35 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:I'll take a look at cherry. The teak laminate has a very tight grain so that's the main thing I'm looking for as I can stain to the right colour relatively easily I think.


Cherry will also darken as it oxidizes (ages) too, and it's much easier to work than solid teak which is hard and oily and in my (limited) experience prone to tear out more than cherry.
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor
 
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests