home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ebay Selling Hassle

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby chris jury on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:19 am

I'm sure this has been a topic before- but I'm at a loss.

Sold that Black tele on ebay- everything worked fine when it left. Kid emails back today (got it a week ago) saying the pickups have super-weak output and he wants his money back. Also has already left negative feedback, and is demanding a return shipping label so it goes both ways on my dime. I offered to buy him new pickups, or send him a set. not sure where it'll land.

how do you all handle these conflicts?
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby gjhardwick on Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:11 am

Ebay policy is so skewed towards the buyer in these situations nowadays, so if they want to kick up a fuss, you're screwed basically.

If I remember rightly, the seller doesn't have to pay for return shipping though.
gjhardwick
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby A vs B on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 am

That is so shitty to leave negative feedback immediately.
A vs B
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby TylerSavage on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:44 am

people use ebay?
TylerSavage
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 am

If he's already left negative feedback, fuck him. I always put "no returns" in my auctions and "as is." Paypal will hold your money in limbo for a while, but I say fight him.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby chris jury on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:14 pm

Yes- I always mark my auctions as 'no returns- ask all questions before bidding' I understand his frustration if the output on the pickups is weak...could be something jarred loose, or broke, and I want to make it right if I can...but I'm not interested in being fucked over. I made the offer to give him $50 to get new pickups, or to send him a set. no word.

I'd like to take my rare open-market guitar selling to reverb, but things don't move over there very well. I do the online sales for the shop, started the reverb store for them, and in the last 6 weeks I think we've sold maybe 10 items.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah, I ran into a similar issue with selling a pedal on Reverb this summer. After trying to work it out with the dude (he claimed that the "battery was jammed and it was impossible to get out"), he wound up filing a claim against me and it made using PayPal a pain in the ass for about 4 weeks. I wound up just giving the dude a refund, but I'd be reluctant to do it again (especially considering that when I got the pedal back, I used a small, flathead screwdiver to pop out the battery and it was totally fine.)

Maybe ask him to send you a sound or video clip of him using the tele to verify that the output is low? Kind of over the top, yes, but if the dude it serious about it being an issue, he should have no problem wanting to document it properly to get his money back.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby weezy on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 pm

I've dealt with this kind of person on eBay before. He left negative feedback even though I repeatedly offered to make everything right at no cost to him. For something incredibly simple and stupid like four_oclocker's battery thing. Fucking guy tells me later he fixed it himself, but I still got stuck with the neg. hit. Turns out it was some kid who was using somebody else's account, probably his mom's.

I'd wait and see what dude's response is, sometimes they need some time to come down off the ledge. He should learn how to open up a guitar and troubleshoot that shit. Does he seem like he knows what the fuck he's talking about? Such as, it's not the amp or cables he's using, etc.

Or - dude doesn't like the guitar for some reason or has buyer's remorse and is lying to get his money back.
weezy
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby Joe P on Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I sell a lot of guitars on eBay.

If the item is not as described or was damaged in shipping, eBay will refund the buyers money and ultimately get that money from you. Your "No Returns" policy or stating something "As Is" means absolutely nothing. The item needs to be in perfect working order and any cosmetic damage needs to be disclosed. And always overcompensate. That little bump next to the binding on the underside that you can barely see? Take a picture of it or the buyer will complain, guaranteed.

With that being said, is the guitar in good working order? Are the pickups just not to the buyers taste? Is the guitar as you described it? If so, let the buyer file a claim and state your case to eBay. Explain to them that there are major ranges in output in various types of pickups, but the item is just as you described it.

You may not win but it sounds like the buyer is just being a baby. I sold a head once that got damaged in shipping and the guy neg'd me right away and filed a claim. I told him to get a repair quote and I will pay it. He dropped the claim and eBay removed the neg.
Joe P
padre
padre

Postby Maurice Again on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

This sounds like a classic case of buyer's remorse/dude just trying to get his money back. Like everyone said: the best way to sniff this out is offering to have things repaired. Your offer of sending new pickups is totally reasonable. I had a pedal that I sold on Ebay and the buyer claimed that the power supply jack didn't work. I told him to get it repaired and send me a receipt for the repair. Never heard back from him and things got dropped. So wait for this guy to respond. There could be some pain in the ass back and forth, but it may just get dropped.
Maurice Again
les nessman
les nessman

Postby Maurice Again on Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Also dispute the negative feedback. You shouldn't have to pay shipping both ways.
Maurice Again
les nessman
les nessman

Postby J. Burns on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:03 am

Homeboy buys a weird-ass oddball MIJ guitar from the 70's-80's and is expecting pickups with fire-breathing output?

mrcancelled wrote:Calm down, The Melvins. Don't try and be a hero.

POLICE TEETH: Gone fishin'. Be back soon!
SEMINARS: "Pricks Die Young" full-length out now
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby holmes on Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:08 am

My two cents. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for a guitar to have damaged in transport. However, this seems like a situation where you have sold an instrument to someone who doesn't know anything about the item they have purchased, nor the basics of guitar electronics. Pick up strengths vary massively, this is not your fault. This guy is a douche - to leave you negative feedback without even consulting you? Fuck him. I'd tell him to get fucked - unless he can prove the out put of the pick ups is less than say 5k, tell ebay that you will not accept a return. After trashing your feedback without even contacting you, I wouldn't even have offered him pick up replacements. Ebay can really be a load of shit sometimes, and PayPal is basically just fucking aids.
Here comes another load of joy
holmes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Joe P on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 am

I highly doubt it was damaged in shipping. Like others have said, the guy probably assumed he could just tune to drop D, plug this into a Boss Hyper Metal thru a Line 6 and it would sound like Slayer or whatever. Instead it probably feeds back like crazy and the hum is unbearable. But that is not a manufacturing defect and it does not mean the product is damaged.

If the guy played country he'd probably be thrilled with the low output pickups.
Joe P
padre
padre

Postby elisha wiesner on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:46 am

I've sold several hundred guitars and a few thousand other things on ebay and I hate to say it but there is basically nothing you can do unless the buyer is willing to work with you to either keep the guitar, get new pickups etc.... You could try to fight it but I am fairly certain that you will loose. The fact that he already left feedback may work in your favor though. I always list my items with a full 14 day, no questions asked return policy and this way the buyer has to pay the return shipping if they want to send it back... If you list it as returns not accepted, they can just open a claim and you eat the shipping. Saying AS-IS etc.. in the listing does nothing.

Good luck and like I said, I've sold thousands of things on ebay, mostly guitar related, and if you want to PM me for additional info, please do so.
elisha wiesner

Postby bishopdante on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:17 am

chris jury wrote:Yes- I always mark my auctions as 'no returns- ask all questions before bidding' I understand his frustration if the output on the pickups is weak...could be something jarred loose, or broke, and I want to make it right if I can...but I'm not interested in being fucked over. I made the offer to give him $50 to get new pickups, or to send him a set. no word.

Yea, think the guy was a bit of a n00b to suggest that low-output pickups is a misfeature on a Tele.

New bridge pickup is what happens to pretty much every single budget Telecaster I've met (extremely rare that I use neck pickups anyway, too woolly), a pickup swap i's usually the difference between tragic and excellent. I've got a box of ones that have been pulled out of other stuff which I go through & try out by holding them above the strings in rough position, all I'm looking for is notes being even in volume and clear in tone, no hiss/EM nasties, and no fartiness or woolliness. Can usually tell a lot about whether a pickup will be crap or not by how much it weighs.

The last few guitars I have bought stripped to body+neck+bridge, nobody will touch those, too scary to not be able to try it out at all without investing time & effort, not a problem because I know exactly what I'm buying and have hunted it down over years before I find the one I'm buying, which is sitting around somewhere not even displayed. Prefer to put all my own hardware on, not buying stuff you'll just have to remove and get rid of somehow saves time & money. Everybody has their preferences, I know full well my playing style is fully abnormal so I don't expect stock equipment designed for default operational techniques to work right out of the box for me. That's not the manufacturers' or retailers' fault at all.

Would be kinda cool to advertise guitars as shells and then spec parts to fit on them, build the instrument up for each customer to spec. Want a bridge humbucker so you can sound like Meshuggah? $XX. Want a lipstick pickup? $XX. Want nothing and fit stuff yourself? $0.
Last edited by bishopdante on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby kxbx on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:29 am

bishopdante wrote:
chris jury wrote:Yes- I always mark my auctions as 'no returns- ask all questions before bidding' I understand his frustration if the output on the pickups is weak...could be something jarred loose, or broke, and I want to make it right if I can...but I'm not interested in being fucked over. I made the offer to give him $50 to get new pickups, or to send him a set. no word.

Yea, think the guy was a bit of a n00b to suggest that low-output pickups is a misfeature on a Tele.

How low did the guy say? It could actually be unusable, like if magnets detached from the base during shipping. It's odd that it would happen to both pick-ups though. A detached ground wire could give a very low output and a lot of hum.
kxbx
staple singers
staple singers

Postby bishopdante on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:52 am

kxbx wrote:
bishopdante wrote:

How low did the guy say? It could actually be unusable, like if magnets detached from the base during shipping. It's odd that it would happen to both pick-ups though. A detached ground wire could give a very low output and a lot of hum.

Typical japanese '70s pickups have only one failure point, which is where the wire goes into the chassis, which can get pulled off the voice coil and then it's bin time. The chassis is usually a stamped steel box holding it all together, pretty unlikely to die in transit and produce an intermittent failure. Those wires only get pulled out if you've got it all disassembled and you're yanking on the wire, never seen anything else go wrong, although I've definitely met the "wow... is this broken? It sounds terrible". Usually it is not broken, that's what it does. Have also opened up what looked like humbuckers to find the most hilarious miniature single coil hiding inside (copper is expensive, cheap products scrimp on expensive materials).

Same could be said for most parts of the telecaster, least breakable guitar design I know of, have happily used mine to hammer tent posts. How on earth would that ground wire come off when it's secured under a huge metal plate with 3x massive wood screws in it?
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante

Postby kxbx on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 pm

bishopdante wrote:Have also opened up what looked like humbuckers to find the most hilarious miniature single coil hiding inside (copper is expensive, cheap products scrimp on expensive materials).

I've seen this too, I wonder if it's also to do with matching problems. You need two reasonably similar coils to cancel hum. If you're doing things fast and sloppy a single coil is probably much easier.
kxbx
staple singers
staple singers

Postby sleepkid on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:07 am

bishopdante wrote:
Typical japanese '70s pickups have only one failure point, which is where the wire goes into the chassis, which can get pulled off the voice coil and then it's bin time. etc. etc. etc.

Thank you for once again proving you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

chris jury wrote:I'm sure this has been a topic before- but I'm at a loss.

Sold that Black tele on ebay- everything worked fine when it left. Kid emails back today (got it a week ago) saying the pickups have super-weak output and he wants his money back. Also has already left negative feedback, and is demanding a return shipping label so it goes both ways on my dime. I offered to buy him new pickups, or send him a set. not sure where it'll land.

how do you all handle these conflicts?

Sorry to hear this. This sounds like BS to me. Tell him to take it to a luthier and get an estimate - should include a detail of what's needed for the repair. I would certainly try and dispute the negative feedback since he left it without contacting you at all. I've found that talking to a person on Ebay's service line (though it sometimes takes a long time to get through) is much better than dealing with their automated feedback mail.

I take pictures of the output readings on the pickups of the guitars I'm selling and put them in the auction.

Had my first damage in transit incident with an instrument this past week (hi bassdriver!) - as everything I ship is insured, we should be covered - we have before and after pictures of the part in question, and we have the forms. It's just getting the postal service to process the claim that seems to be the real trick. I think photographing everything (including the box) before shipping might help in disputing claims.

Not sure if any of this is helpful. But it's something I've been giving a lot of thought too now that I am using Ebay more actively to sell stuff.
PRF Records Club. Records for the PRF made by the PRF. Read about it here.
Get the music here: http://www.lakeoffake.com
sleepkid

Next

Return to Tech Room