home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ebay Selling Hassle

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby mmmribsmmm on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

The covers still have the original solder on them and I don't think I want to unsolder that. I'd rather leave it as a selling point for the auction. I just sold my 73 Ampeg VT-40 this morning and got 600 out of it.

I have an EGC on the way that is stuck somewhere in transit. The USPS has really gone to hell the past few years. That's really the only reason I'm selling all this crap.
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Location: Kansas City MO

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby Redline on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Those Norlin 3 pickup Les Pauls are great and bullet proof, you'll sell it.
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9068
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 am

I need to start finding boxes and packing material (peanuts/strong bubble wrap) for a big gear sell off. I’ve tried the thing where you ask guitar stores but they’ve always trashed them by the time I get there on the weekend.

I need boxes to ship 50 watt tube heads and pedals, mostly. Sources that won’t break the bank? Fedex/UPS are the worst place to buy these. UHaul is an ok option sometimes, but I seem to remember never quite getting the dimensions I need, ie the boxes that are big enough to fit an amp in are too big. I’ve checked on Amazon and the price for some of this stuff is alright, but I’m not sure how durable it is.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby elisha wiesner on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 am

Try posting in a local facebook gear page or just on facebook in general. You'd be surprised how many people have unwanted guitar boxes taking up space in their closets. The last time I was out of boxes, I made a post and had a pile in a few hours.
User avatar
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:12 pm
Location: chilmark

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby tallchris on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:49 am

I've found with heads & cabs I'm generally better off just cutting my own box out of cardboard. Just sold an Avatar 1x12, and I bubble wrapped it, taped a layer of cardboard around it, then folded in piece into the seems until it was mostly double boxed.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby yard barf on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I need to start finding boxes and packing material (peanuts/strong bubble wrap) for a big gear sell off. I’ve tried the thing where you ask guitar stores but they’ve always trashed them by the time I get there on the weekend.

I need boxes to ship 50 watt tube heads and pedals, mostly. Sources that won’t break the bank? Fedex/UPS are the worst place to buy these. UHaul is an ok option sometimes, but I seem to remember never quite getting the dimensions I need, ie the boxes that are big enough to fit an amp in are too big. I’ve checked on Amazon and the price for some of this stuff is alright, but I’m not sure how durable it is.


I've had a lot of luck dumpster diving behind places like Office Max or Target. Good boxes can be easily cut down to size, so you don't have to find a perfect fit.
User avatar
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby weezy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:54 pm

yard barf wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:I need to start finding boxes and packing material (peanuts/strong bubble wrap) for a big gear sell off. I’ve tried the thing where you ask guitar stores but they’ve always trashed them by the time I get there on the weekend.

I need boxes to ship 50 watt tube heads and pedals, mostly. Sources that won’t break the bank? Fedex/UPS are the worst place to buy these. UHaul is an ok option sometimes, but I seem to remember never quite getting the dimensions I need, ie the boxes that are big enough to fit an amp in are too big. I’ve checked on Amazon and the price for some of this stuff is alright, but I’m not sure how durable it is.


I've had a lot of luck dumpster diving behind places like Office Max or Target. Good boxes can be easily cut down to size, so you don't have to find a perfect fit.


Liquor stores.
User avatar
weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: in a free LAN

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby curry pervert on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:08 pm

I've had luck with electrical stores and supermarkets for decent boxes.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
User avatar
curry pervert
intestine
intestine
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: surfing the ether

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby yard barf on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Anybody come across this seller on eBay? Every few days he floods ebay with tons of vintage Gibson listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson ... SwgddamH0e

He seems to have every vintage Gibson under the sun, sells from multiple locations around the country, cancels all bids, claims you can contact him and "but it now" for ridiculously low prices. I figure he's somehow scamming but why doesn't eBay boot him off?

Click "See full item description" for his spiel.
User avatar
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:51 pm

That looks like a damn nightmare.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.


SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
User avatar
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Logan Square.

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby endofanera on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:00 pm

yard barf wrote:Anybody come across this seller on eBay? Every few days he floods ebay with tons of vintage Gibson listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson ... SwgddamH0e

He seems to have every vintage Gibson under the sun, sells from multiple locations around the country, cancels all bids, claims you can contact him and "but it now" for ridiculously low prices. I figure he's somehow scamming but why doesn't eBay boot him off?

Click "See full item description" for his spiel.

I don't know the current market, but I'd have to say he's high re: that price ($1500) for that guitar in that condition.

FM elisha wiesner may have more info re: what kind of fees he's ducking by listing an auction without BIN and then forcing sale through BIN. That's all I can figure. That or his button takes you off of eBay so he can avoid all selling fees (and you get no eBay protection).
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
User avatar
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4967
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby yard barf on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:34 pm

endofanera wrote:
yard barf wrote:Anybody come across this seller on eBay? Every few days he floods ebay with tons of vintage Gibson listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gibson ... SwgddamH0e

He seems to have every vintage Gibson under the sun, sells from multiple locations around the country, cancels all bids, claims you can contact him and "but it now" for ridiculously low prices. I figure he's somehow scamming but why doesn't eBay boot him off?

Click "See full item description" for his spiel.

I don't know the current market, but I'd have to say he's high re: that price ($1500) for that guitar in that condition.

FM elisha wiesner may have more info re: what kind of fees he's ducking by listing an auction without BIN and then forcing sale through BIN. That's all I can figure. That or his button takes you off of eBay so he can avoid all selling fees (and you get no eBay protection).


He claims it was owned by Les Paul. Thing is, all of his stuff is $1500, like he's not even listing real prices: Customs, 50's Juniors, whatever, it's all $1500. I'm just curious what he's doing.
User avatar
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:13 am

Looks like they were all pulled. That link returns 0 results.

Definitely a scam. You pay him off ebay, he sends you nothing.
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:21 am

I had to file my first USPS insurance claim ever, after selling shit on ebay/reverb for nearly 20 years.

Bought broken Sennheiser 421 on ebay a couple months ago. Broken capsule, so I can't repair it. I relist it on reverb, hoping to get some of my money back. I ship it insured USPS to Chicago.

The buyer sends me a message about 2 weeks later saying "hey, it shows as delivered 2 days ago, but I never got it. I even received other packages that same day."

Not only did it take 10 days to get there (it should have taken 2 or 3 at the most), but then it wasn't actually delivered, despite the tracking info saying it was.

I file a claim, and of course it is denied because they say it was delivered, according to the tracking info.

I can appeal, but even with a signed affidavit from the buyer saying that he never received it, I'm sure they'll deny it again.
User avatar
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby weezy on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm

So eBay sent me an invoice for last month, but I didn't sell a single thing during that time. I bought 2 things, and that's it. WTF is going on here? I looked for a detailed invoice in my account, but their version of a 'detailed' invoice has zero pertinent details that would help explain the bogus charge.

I'm calling them tomorrow, but just wanted to check with y'all to see if I am missing something.
User avatar
weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: in a free LAN

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby curry pervert on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm

Could it be listing fees? I know you get so many free but things like extra categories or better exposure carries charges.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
User avatar
curry pervert
intestine
intestine
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: surfing the ether

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby weezy on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm

curry pervert wrote:Could it be listing fees? I know you get so many free but things like extra categories or better exposure carries charges.


Edit: I figured it out. I made the mistake of trying to find the relevant information on my phone with their app, which apparently fucking sucks. The charge was a shipping fee that was for something I sold back in January. I'm done with eBay for selling stuff.
User avatar
weezy
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine
 
Posts: 683
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm
Location: in a free LAN

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby curry pervert on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 am

Global shipping program? Sucks. Another way for them to screw people over.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
User avatar
curry pervert
intestine
intestine
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: surfing the ether

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:57 am

Got an old Rickenbacker amp for a very fair price that is similar to a tweed Bassman, but it’s not working right. Passes sound, but intermittently makes a sound similar to disconnecting the guitar from the cable and touching the jack to something. The packing job is not the worst I’ve seen, but it was far from ideal. It was a box packed into another box with a thin layer of sheets of packing material around the amp. The tubes were placed inside the combo in a smaller box, but for some reason he left the 12ax7’s inside their shields, which seems weird.
Undecided whether or not to bring to a tech or just send the thing back to the seller. Return shipping will suck, since it’s a combo. Thinking I might as well bring it to a tech for the money. Hopefully it will be something dumb.
It wouldn’t come on at first, then somehow I got it working for a few minutes before the noise started. Don’t feel good about this. It did sound really good for a couple minutes.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Got an old Rickenbacker amp for a very fair price that is similar to a tweed Bassman, but it’s not working right. Passes sound, but intermittently makes a sound similar to disconnecting the guitar from the cable and touching the jack to something. The packing job is not the worst I’ve seen, but it was far from ideal. It was a box packed into another box with a thin layer of sheets of packing material around the amp. The tubes were placed inside the combo in a smaller box, but for some reason he left the 12ax7’s inside their shields, which seems weird.
Undecided whether or not to bring to a tech or just send the thing back to the seller. Return shipping will suck, since it’s a combo. Thinking I might as well bring it to a tech for the money. Hopefully it will be something dumb.
It wouldn’t come on at first, then somehow I got it working for a few minutes before the noise started. Don’t feel good about this. It did sound really good for a couple minutes.


Took it to a tech - he resoldered a couple connections and made one of the inputs higher gain - I got all fixed up for $50! Glad I didn’t send it back Will probably try for a partial refund. He really should have packed it better. I would have paid more in shipping if it would have meant I didn’t have to fuck with a busted amp on arrival.
Also, he says this model is more similar to a tweed Pro. He thinks the power transformer might be replaced, unless Rickenbacker used Stancore xformers back then, which he thought was possible, though he was iffy about it.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
User avatar
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5222
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], n.c. and 4 guests