home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ebay Selling Hassle

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby TylerSavage on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I just sold my Walking Dead #1 for the buy it now and I am %100 expecting something terrible to happen
TylerSavage
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby Boombats on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Sort of off-topic or at least on the other side of the deal, but I'm super frustrated with a seller in a Facebook gear sale group. He had two Allen & Heath ICE 16-track digital recorders for sale for $1000 the pair. Someone asked if he would sell just one, to which he replied yes but for more than $500. So I said hey I'll take the other one if we can get the bundle price. The other buyer backed out, but the seller agreed to still take $500 for one, which is a great price as they are over a grand new.

We made a date for me to go down to NYC to get it, and I sent him $350 paypal in advance. I had to sell my spare drum kit to make up the $150 difference, and I had to turn down a day of work to make the trip. The seller was going to be on vacation, but his engineer (it's from a pro studio) was to meet me at the studio. I kept asking via email "What's the address? Who am I meeting and what's his direct number? Is everything all set?" It wasn't til the moment I needed to start driving that I finally got a reply "sorry, my guy is sick and can't meet you for several days." OK, that blew my day and I lost work money for nothing, but I really want this piece of gear so I suck it up.

Days go by. Seller is still on vacation and doesn't reply to my queries of "how's your engineer? When can I come down?" Finally I get a message "Sent your money back, sorry my guy won't be there for 9 days." Fuck! But OK, I'm willing to wait. So I wait. Eventually I write back again, and get this: "Sorry man they both sold on Reverb.com." WHAT? They were for sale online at a higher price, and someone scooped them on me. So now I think he just didn't have the courage to tell me that he wanted more money for them, so he just strung me along with a bunch of bullshit until they sold. I wish he had at least given me the option of paying more to get it. Lame.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:06 pm

I've been on ebay since 2000. I think I've only had one or two buyers who didn't pay, out of maybe 200 sales. I've only sold like 10 things on Reverb and have had buyers flake out on me twice so far. They'll make an offer, I'll accept it, then they'll cease all communication. I'll send gentle reminders and get nothing back. In both cases, it was buyers who had only one 5-star feedback rating. What gives?
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby chris jury on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:34 am

Yeah- Reverb seems to be as bad as ebay, in terms of flakes.

Here is a new one for me: I am now running an online guitar shop for a place that used to be brick and mortar. Had an old Decca 4x2 wacky electric- fine instrument, but not worth a fortune. Dude made an offer- we accepted. The old listing added way too much for shipping, so I reduced it to a rational amount. Took FOREVER to pay, like 3 weeks, but we had lots of shit going on, so let it slide. Finally got paid, shipped it to his address.

Now shit gets weird. USPS sends notice that is has been delivered back to Everett, WA..but the shop and the return addresses are not in Everett. Dude complains, rightfully so. USPS has no idea what is happening. Then get a mail from dude, saying he didn't want the instrument, bought it by accident, then paid by accident, and wants his money back. I don't think any of that is even possible. How can one transaction go so far off the rails?

Whole summer has been an exercise in dealing with nutjobs.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby airloom on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 pm

I bought a UREI 1178 that was grossly misrepresented in terms of condition.
Tested it within 2 hours of it being delivered, told the dude I wanted to return it and the dude called me a faggot for wanting to return it over the ebay messenger app.
I love you
airloom
paul schaffer
paul schaffer

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:25 pm

chris jury wrote:Yeah- Reverb seems to be as bad as ebay, in terms of flakes.

I find it to be worse. I've basically stopped listing stuff on Reverb due to all the flakes and the less than great customer support.

Here is a new one for me: I am now running an online guitar shop for a place that used to be brick and mortar. Had an old Decca 4x2 wacky electric- fine instrument, but not worth a fortune. Dude made an offer- we accepted. The old listing added way too much for shipping, so I reduced it to a rational amount. Took FOREVER to pay, like 3 weeks, but we had lots of shit going on, so let it slide. Finally got paid, shipped it to his address.

Now shit gets weird. USPS sends notice that is has been delivered back to Everett, WA..but the shop and the return addresses are not in Everett. Dude complains, rightfully so. USPS has no idea what is happening. Then get a mail from dude, saying he didn't want the instrument, bought it by accident, then paid by accident, and wants his money back. I don't think any of that is even possible. How can one transaction go so far off the rails?

Whole summer has been an exercise in dealing with nutjobs.

Fucked on many levels! What a total pain in the ass.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby gnangle on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 pm

aw man, ive got a doooozy. fuck humans.
gnangle
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Redline on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Not really an eBay selling hassle. Maybe a Paypal buying hassle? Either way, it's a laugh riot.

So, a guy posts some Hot Wheel Custom Firebirds for sale on a Hot Wheel buy/sell/trade area (private website), and sells me a Rose Custom Firebird for $375.00 plus 8.00 shipping (not to mention an extra 3% for Paypal fees). I pay for the car right away, because that's what the Hot Wheels nerd board wants you to do.

I contact the guy and he says he didn't get the money. Then the guy says "Whoops, I posted my Paypal address wrong, sorry."  The Paypal address supplied by the guy sent the money to someone named Jane Doe, who the guy says he doesn't know (same last name, though). The guy says "I'll correct my Paypal address in the For Sale post.." The guy emails me saying he notified Paypal, telling them "I told them you accidently sent $394.25 to the wrong Paypal ID, and they will help you cancel that transaction." Well, that isn't really true, because guy gave me a bogus Paypal address. How was that my mistake, guy?

I contact Paypal to cancel the transaction, and a woman from India tells me it's a done deal, all I can do is ask Jane Doe for a refund. The woman says Paypal will send Jane Doe a reminder to refund my money, as I was given an erroneous Paypal address by the seller. Of course, Jane Doe has not returned any of my eMails, Paypal's eMails, or my $394.25. Jane Doe may live in a trailer with feral cats for all I know. Paypal woman tells me I will have to dispute the transaction with my own bank, even though it is not my fault. Thanks Paypal.

I go to my bank to dispute the transaction, and my bank tells me I will have to cancel my Debit Card in order to follow through. I have to go to a different bank branch in order to get my new debit card, too. I've WASTED two days of my life because of this guys mistake. At least he sent me the car, mostly due to the mods on the board, but now he wants me to do the heavy lifting to get his money back. Fuck him. I think it will wind up being him vs. Paypal...

So, gentle Paypalers, remember to double check and triple check your sellers Paypal addy if you plan to buy anything.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:28 pm

sold a 70s small stone on reverb and was confirmed by the buyer that they got it - has been showing "In Transit" for three weeks. *Sigh*
TylerSavage
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby TylerSavage on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:10 pm

... and then Neal totally takes care of it! Thanks so much - that concludes my only negative reverb experience, otherwise have only had really positive.
TylerSavage
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby catwoman on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 pm

Redline wrote:
I contact the guy and he says he didn't get the money. Then the guy says "Whoops, I posted my Paypal address wrong, sorry."  The Paypal address supplied by the guy sent the money to someone named Jane Doe, who the guy says he doesn't know (same last name, though). The guy says "I'll correct my Paypal address in the For Sale post.." The guy emails me saying he notified Paypal, telling them "I told them you accidently sent $394.25 to the wrong Paypal ID, and they will help you cancel that transaction." Well, that isn't really true, because guy gave me a bogus Paypal address. How was that my mistake, guy?

The Cynical ME says that this guy didn't "whoops, make a mistake".
Could very well be a scam, which sucks.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby garthplinko on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

I had some assjack submit an offer yesterday for less than half my asking price for a speaker. I rolled my eyes and rejected outright.

Today he did exact same thing again.

You can imagine how tickled I was to find that Reverb allowed me to submit a counter offer HIGHER than my listed asking price.

I kinda hope I get another one tomorrow.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby chris jury on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am

Well, the last 3-4 weeks have kinda been a nightmare on ebay. I've had like 7 different people demand refunds (which almost never happened before) because the item 'was not as described'. Mostly I sell old clothes, hats, belts and stuff- very cheap, simple stuff. Literally have a guy demanding a refund on a Louis Vuitton tie he paid $7 for over a month ago.

Really a hassle as of late...never been an issue before.

Oh, also had a guy leave negative feedback, but the text was 'Great Transaction, Thanks'

grrr.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am

garthplinko wrote:I had some assjack submit an offer yesterday for less than half my asking price for a speaker. I rolled my eyes and rejected outright.

Today he did exact same thing again.

You can imagine how tickled I was to find that Reverb allowed me to submit a counter offer HIGHER than my listed asking price.

I kinda hope I get another one tomorrow.

Oh man. I counter lowball offers like that all the time. I love doing that and it really pisses people off.
Last edited by llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Nate Dort on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

garthplinko wrote:You can imagine how tickled I was to find that Reverb allowed me to submit a counter offer HIGHER than my listed asking price.

There's an option to auto-reject offers that are less than 65% of the asking price. I always use that, but apparently I've been missing out on some fun.
Nate Dort

Postby garthplinko on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
garthplinko wrote:You can imagine how tickled I was to find that Reverb allowed me to submit a counter offer HIGHER than my listed asking price.

There's an option to auto-reject offers that are less than 65% of the asking price. I always use that, but apparently I've been missing out on some fun.

Yes, I figured that out when I saw FM Four O'Clocker's GK cab listed for double what he paid for it (plus he got a 400 RB too!). And I was the one who picked it up on our local CL.

I put a dollar bid on it and was insta-rejected :(
garthplinko

Postby yard barf on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:09 pm

Grabbed a 1972 Guild S-90 off eBay for $370 shipped. Came with a nice flight case as well. The guitar was refinished (nicely), missing headstock logo and pick guard, but otherwise in great shape...until USPS kicked it up to my doorstep. It showed up with the neck completely separated from the body. Fortunately, it's a clean separation and I'm hopeful that it's just a glue and clamp job that is needed.

I've had 3 guitars and a couple amps bashed apart by USPS. And while it's not a buyer/seller dispute, the shipping end of purchasing things is a real fucking hassle, a lot of the time.
yard barf
coke dealer
coke dealer

Postby eliya on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Fwiw, USPS is pretty good about accepting insurance claims and refunding the whole thing.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:23 pm

garthplinko wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:

Yes, I figured that out when I saw FM Four O'Clocker's GK cab listed for double what he paid for it (plus he got a 400 RB too!). And I was the one who picked it up on our local CL.

I put a dollar bid on it and was insta-rejected :(

NO LOW-BALL OFFERS :smt002 .

That being said, I gotta pay for these new breaks somehow.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby yard barf on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

eliya wrote:Fwiw, USPS is pretty good about accepting insurance claims and refunding the whole thing.

Good to know, thanks. They've put a fight in the past, but always forked over the money in the end.
yard barf
coke dealer
coke dealer

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room