home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ebay Selling Hassle

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ebay Selling Hassle

Postby eliya on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:36 pm

I uploaded lots of pictures, screenshot of the eBay/reverb sale, PayPal receipt, etc. And a few weeks later I got a check in the mail!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby yard barf on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm

eliya wrote:I uploaded lots of pictures, screenshot of the eBay/reverb sale, PayPal receipt, etc. And a few weeks later I got a check in the mail!

Thanks!
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby chris jury on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 am

Happened again today. Got an offer on a small item. I accepted the offer and 20 minutes later got a request to cancel the item. What the fuck is going on? Have had more requests for cancellations and returns in the last month than in the previous 15 years combined. Not exaggerating.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Dudley on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 am

chris jury wrote:Happened again today. Got an offer on a small item. I accepted the offer and 20 minutes later got a request to cancel the item. What the fuck is going on? Have had more requests for cancellations and returns in the last month than in the previous 15 years combined. Not exaggerating.

It's probably completely unrelated, and/or wholly conicidental, what with being across the pond and all, but for the last couple of months, I have had zero interest in stuff I've been selling for the first time ever. A guitar and three pedals, really similar in terms of quality, price, condition etc to all the other stuff I've sold easily on the same sites, and nothing. Not a single realistic bit of interest - not even the usual "50% asking price" or "I've only got £37" offers/demands.
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Holidays are approaching?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Ebay Selling Hassle is the worst Lou Reed bootleg I've ever heard.

It's possible I've made this joke before.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby yard barf on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm

yard barf wrote:Grabbed a 1972 Guild S-90 off eBay for $370 shipped. Came with a nice flight case as well. The guitar was refinished (nicely), missing headstock logo and pick guard, but otherwise in great shape...until USPS kicked it up to my doorstep. It showed up with the neck completely separated from the body. Fortunately, it's a clean separation and I'm hopeful that it's just a glue and clamp job that is needed.

I've had 3 guitars and a couple amps bashed apart by USPS. And while it's not a buyer/seller dispute, the shipping end of purchasing things is a real fucking hassle, a lot of the time.

The repair cost is going to be too much. Unfortunately, the seller didn't purchase any insurance so I'm worried USPS won't pay, even though they shouldn't be able to destroy stuff just because it's not insured.

My question is this: When requesting a refund on Ebay, if I check the "damaged in shipping" button, will I put myself on the hook for the loss if USPS won't pay up? Should I just check "not as described?" This seller seems legit but I don't want to end up on the losing end if he shipped it broken, or because of his poor packing and USPS's disregard for all things.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby eliya on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:59 pm

USPS won't pay if it wasn't insured.
eliya

Postby yard barf on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 pm

eliya wrote:USPS won't pay if it wasn't insured.

Oh, joy.

All right, thanks for giving me the low down. To my mind, it borders on extortion. "Gee, this sure is a nice guitar. It'd be a shame if something happened to it. Sure you don't wanna buy some of our insurance, on top of what you're paying us?"

Bubble wrap, people. It's cheap and it works.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby eliya on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 pm

I mean, who sells something on eBay and doesn't insure it? If UPS has a non-insurance option I'm sure they won't pay for fucking up a package.

I would contact eBay. They'll give you your money. The seller's out of luck though.
eliya

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:19 pm

eliya wrote:I mean, who sells something on eBay and doesn't insure it? If UPS has a non-insurance option I'm sure they won't pay for fucking up a package.

I would contact eBay. They'll give you your money. The seller's out of luck though.

Yeah, he fucked himself on that one. Sucks but somebody’s got to eat it.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:12 am

yard barf wrote:
eliya wrote:USPS won't pay if it wasn't insured.

Oh, joy.

All right, thanks for giving me the low down. To my mind, it borders on extortion. "Gee, this sure is a nice guitar. It'd be a shame if something happened to it. Sure you don't wanna buy some of our insurance, on top of what you're paying us?"

Bubble wrap, people. It's cheap and it works.

Actually, I think USPS auto insures Priority packages for ~$50. So, there's that. At least it's something. Also, if the damage was clearly done by USPS there might be wiggle room. I wouldn't count on them taking responsibility though.
Tommy

Postby yard barf on Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

eliya wrote:I would contact eBay. They'll give you your money. The seller's out of luck though.

Tommy wrote:I think USPS auto insures Priority packages for ~$50. So, there's that. At least it's something. Also, if the damage was clearly done by USPS there might be wiggle room. I wouldn't count on them taking responsibility though.

Thank you, my fellow Chicagoans!

I suppose I shouldn't really care because eBay will refund my money, but nice guy yard barf doesn't like to see USPS screw people over.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:55 pm

There are lots of fake Hot Wheels on eBay now, and eBay continues to protect the forgers and they continue to sell their fakes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-PURPLE-BE ... 7675.l2557
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Dudley on Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Redline wrote:There are lots of fake Hot Wheels on eBay now, and eBay continues to protect the forgers and they continue to sell their fakes.

Now I want to know how people forge Hot Wheels! And presumably there must be enough of a return in it to make it worthwhile.
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Dudley wrote:
Redline wrote:There are lots of fake Hot Wheels on eBay now, and eBay continues to protect the forgers and they continue to sell their fakes.

Now I want to know how people forge Hot Wheels! And presumably there must be enough of a return in it to make it worthwhile.

They pop the rivets and restore a junker car with a new paint job, usually a hard to find color. Newer collectors get duped, sometimes out of hundreds of dollars.
The purple VW Beach Bomb in the link was sold as real. Fake wheels, fake surfboards, fake Purple paint. I can't believe the seller is still on eBAY.

Here's his fake Purple Olds 442 on auction now. No where in his description does it say "restored, repainted.."..If you look at the pic of the base, it reads Police Cruiser, the car he chopped up to make the fake Olds 442. Ugh.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hot-Wheels ... SwaWhZ2b7w
Redline

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:59 pm

^That whole scene there is INSANE!

Sidebar - FM Redline, what's the Hot Wheels collection looking like these days?
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:50 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:^That whole scene there is INSANE!

Sidebar - FM Redline, what's the Hot Wheels collection looking like these days?

Pretty good. I sold a bunch of cars to buy more important stuff. Many key Hot Wheels were sold when the Redline Compound needed a new roof, and when I bought Mrs. Redline's wedding ring.
The 50th Anniversary (1968-2018) of Hot Wheels collector convention is going to be in Texas next year.. I'll be there.

P.S. The last time I saw a real Hot Wheel Olds 442 in Purple sell, it went for 7000.00
Redline

Postby Dudley on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:15 am

Wow. Thank you, Redline. Are Hotwheels an exception or the rule in terms of collectable vintage toys? I know in the UK there's a premium on the Corgi 007 Aston Martin if it's in good condition and you still have ejector seat dude. Presumably any durable much-loved plaything could ramp up in value, but I'm guessing few are as durable and as varied as HotWheels?
Dudley

Postby Redline on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 am

Right now, Hot Wheels are the exception, things may slow down, but more interest is growing due to the 50th Anniversary in 2018. Old Hot Wheels (1968-1972) are like Beatle records. There were millions made, but how many surviving are near mint? My friend Dave collects Hot Wheels, Matchbox and Corgi. His collection is pretty much his job. Fun work if you can collect it.
http://www.toycarcollector.com/
The first big collection my mates bought was from England over 20 years ago! The chaps name is Barney Brown I think. I still have cars from that collection.

Right! Ok then, back to eBay selling hassles!
Redline

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room