home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Tommy wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:Ordered one from signomatic.com using their online preview app thing. Just uploaded my vector and chose the specs I wanted. Took about 10 days to arrive after placing the order, shipped from Sweden. $16 shipped.

Turned out pretty good, I think. Laser engraved plastic. No idea how close it is to an original, but they made these things in different sizes with slightly different fonts over the years. I got this one cut to 8" x 1.5", which is a spec I found someone mention online.

That looks great. Looks spot on with having one side-by-side for comparison.

I ended up ordering a bunch in different colors to flip, as well as a couple of the cursive logos. Nobody seems to be making them, and the reproduction ones that have popped up ebay are selling for stupid money.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am

Nate Dort wrote:
Adam P wrote:I feel like maybe FM nate dort built one of these?

Yep, did one about 11 years ago as part of a university project. Etched the PCB on a flatbed CAM setup at the school, though it would be easy enough to do a home etch with chemicals. There are people selling premade PCBs also.

It is fairly straightforward and has been well documented over at groupdiy. The dual-toroid power supply thing was kind of a kludge, but it works and is cheap if you use Antek transformers. I'd definitely recommend using toroids, as a standard EI core is probably going to spew too much noise into the circuit.

Another option would be the NYDave One Bottle preamp:

Never got a chance to respond to this and all of the other helpful posts but THANKS TO ALL.

Looking at these i'm seeing that in many cases they look a lot like guitar amp preamps but with input/output transformers for the balanced ins/outs. For some reason i was under the impression that they'd be a lot different.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 am

The transformers are mostly for impedance matching. The balanced/unbalanced conversion is a bonus.

Your typical mic preamp isn't going to have nearly the gain that a guitar preamp will, but otherwise,they're essentially the same. There's only so many ways you can amplify with tubes.
Nate Dort

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:20 am

Recommend a... Laser etching engraving service! I have a usual place that i use (in Indiana of all places) but i'm trying to get a more fender style faceplate (black on aluminum) and they dont have that material in big enough sizes. I have everything ready in an .eps file, just need to send it off and get it cut.
Dr Tony Balls

Postby Big John on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Probably not useful but these guys ID3 advertise that they do guitar amp nameplates. They have some examples of lots of different types of metal and plastic pieces and are in Illinois. Some names I recognize.

Don't know what their runs are and if you only need a couple of pieces. I had some friends who had a business and producing stuff to the minimum runs of bottles and such caused them tons of problems. I don't have any experience with these guys other than I am aware they exist.

https://www.id3logos.com/metal-nameplates
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Not engraved, but the place I just used to get those Hiwatt badges does screen-printed aluminum up to 79" x 48", no minimum order.

https://www.signomatic.com

I don't think they'll drill holes for pots/switches though.
Nate Dort

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks for the input both of you, but it was a false alarm. The customer in this case was okay with switching to my normal black/white plastic.
Dr Tony Balls

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

Nate Dort wrote:I ended up ordering a bunch in different colors to flip, as well as a couple of the cursive logos. Nobody seems to be making them, and the reproduction ones that have popped up ebay are selling for stupid money.

Who needs a HIWATT badge?

Nate Dort

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 am

Fuck is that from the signomatic place? That yellow and black is tight.

*edit i just realized my place does that as well and why the hell have I not been stealing some Carlsbro aesthetic all this time?

Dr Tony Balls

Postby landspeednyc on Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 am

I'd go Simms-Watts:

I'd never seen this until now:

landspeednyc
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am

Reverb pulled all my badge listings less than 2 hours after I started them. Something about trademark violation. Did manage to sell one before they pulled it though.

Guess I'll try ebay.
Nate Dort

Postby Tommy on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:01 am

Nate Dort wrote:Reverb pulled all my badge listings less than 2 hours after I started them. Something about trademark violation. Did manage to sell one before they pulled it though.

Guess I'll try ebay.

If I had a Hiwatt I'd buy one of those in a heartbeat. Several forum members have Hiwatts, maybe James Sullivan or Russell Emerson Hall might be into one.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby numberthirty on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Nate Dort wrote:Reverb pulled all my badge listings less than 2 hours after I started them. Something about trademark violation. Did manage to sell one before they pulled it though.

Guess I'll try ebay.

They pulled one of my younger brother's guitar listings for using "Les Paul" in a non-"Les Paul" listing. It seems like they are sticklers on that.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 pm

So the "Steve Albini Drum resource" thread has got me curios about these old Soundcraft mixers or any old mixer that is considered solid and can be had a little cheaper these days. I use a little 4 channel focus rite to do demos, but it might be nice to have more preamps to record the whole band properly. I'm totally ignorant on how that piece of gear would be integrated with an old mixer like that. I'm also ignorant on how the whole signal path flow moves in totality, like in a "real" studio. I see these vids of Steve miking a drum then the cable goes into the wall, then comes out of the wall in the control room, then goes into the mixer, then goes into a tape machine but also has sends and returns for effects and using other preamps. The whole thing gets confusing to me. I know I just asked like 40 involved questions, so to sum up:
Recommend me some cool old mixers 18-32 channels under $1500.
Should I do that or just buy a bigger Focusrite? They have those Octopres that you can daisy chain.
Recommend some books of videos that really explain signal path and studio design.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 pm

i like soundcraft. it's better than mackie.

the board will have some number of 'subgroups'. those would plug into your interface. probably a 'line in'.

you would plug your microphones into the back of the mixer. each mic would have it's own channel that you could eq, set level, maybe have a lo pass, pad, phase, etc.

each channel would have a routing section where you would send the channel to one of the subgroups that are feeding your interface.

i can't remember what any of the books are called. probably the studio engineers handbook or something.
n.c.

Postby endofanera on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:30 pm

n.c. wrote:i like soundcraft. it's better than mackie.

Agreed. For one thing, Soundcraft boards have eq that sounds good, unlike Mackie. The pres are also cleaner and if you clip them, the clipping sounds better than a Mackie.

I had a 500 for quite a few years and I could run straight out of each channel on that board, post fader. I am sure they are all designed differently, but I found that really useful.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby eliya on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

It sounds like your interface only has four inputs. This means that if you get a 16 track mixer, you will basically have to mix as you track, because you can only record 4 channels simultaneously into your computer. So for instance, you will mix your drums into a stereo bus (that's two inputs), then bass and guitar in the other two. There's nothing wrong with that and that can work really well for recording practices, but it's not multitrack recording in the sense that you can mix it all after the fact.

There are definitely benefits to using a mixer, but don't forget that your budget will also have to include cabling, more stands, more microphones (because what's the point of a mixer if you only have four microphones?), and possibly an interface with more inputs if you want more flexibility.

As far as mixers, Soundcraft, Soundtracs, and Allen & Heath made decent mixers for under what you're looking to spend. Some Mackies aren't bad either.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 pm

My interface has 4 mic pres on the front and 4 line inputs on the back.
There's a Soundcraft 800b (32 channel) w/roadcase on my craigslist for $425. Guy says it works but it needs to be cleaned up a bit. My amp tech does do work on studio gear as well and I read that these are good for modding, so it's something I'm gonna consider.
Riff Magnum

Postby numberthirty on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:20 pm

While I don't wanna be the "Why you gotta be a Grinch, dad?" voice when it comes to this "Board" discussion...

- I take it we are talking in terms of "Sticking With The Current Interface."?

- Does the computer throw a fit at all recording four tracks? If not, I'd want to figure out if it would with eight before thinking in terms of adding a board to the equation.

- What is the space recordings would be happening in?

- What is the current state of the overall setup?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby n.c. on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:09 pm

^ i agree with randy. you need to ditch the interface and get a 1/2" 8 track to go with that board. didn't someone recently post an otari in the ebay etc alerts thread?
n.c.

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room