home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Recommend a... (Tech Room edition)

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:00 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Yeah there's a few ways of doing a MV and any of them at full volume should sound just as good as if they werent there. One of which is the standard way that Orange did it on the later OD120 models, which is what i've done before and it sounds brilliant. And unless something odd is happening all of my heads are 21"x9"x8.25", which is pretty small.

I thought as much. 21x9x8.5 is basically the same as my OR. Would be considerably lighter though with Iron designed for 40w Vs 120w!!

What's build time these days with you?
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Tommy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:02 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:Eliminating the FAC and presence is easily doable, but doesnt do much for cost savings.

It's not about cost but more to do with the beautiful simplicity of a 3-knob Amp!

The FAC and HF Drive knobs are super useful if you use different speakers/cabinets or you start turning down the baxandall bass and treble knobs to get more mids. The FAC can dial back in some low and the HF the highs. ALSO, that HF knob really brings out the distortion if you can turn it up when using darker speakers/guitars.

I personally always have the FAC on the 3rd or 4th position, but I use boomier cabinets. Unless of course I play bass through it. Then all the way bassy.

Do you still have the bright cap on your OR's volume? Because I had zero use for HF Drive before I clipped that bright cap. Worth noting.

JohnnySomersett wrote:I thought as much. 21x9x8.5 is basically the same as my OR. Would be considerably lighter though with Iron designed for 40w Vs 120w!!

I have an OR120 and a Balls amp. The Balls is smaller and WAAAAYYYYY lighter. Perfect size and weight, actually. Granted, AC30 iron is lighter than OR iron...
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Tommy wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:Eliminating the FAC and presence is easily doable, but doesnt do much for cost savings.

It's not about cost but more to do with the beautiful simplicity of a 3-knob Amp!

The FAC and HF Drive knobs are super useful if you use different speakers/cabinets or you start turning down the baxandall bass and treble knobs to get more mids. The FAC can dial back in some low and the HF the highs. ALSO, that HF knob really brings out the distortion if you can turn it up when using darker speakers/guitars.

I personally always have the FAC on the 3rd or 4th position, but I use boomier cabinets. Unless of course I play bass through it. Then all the way bassy.

Do you still have the bright cap on your OR's volume? Because I had zero use for HF Drive before I clipped that bright cap. Worth noting.

JohnnySomersett wrote:I thought as much. 21x9x8.5 is basically the same as my OR. Would be considerably lighter though with Iron designed for 40w Vs 120w!!

I have an OR120 and a Balls amp. The Balls is smaller and WAAAAYYYYY lighter. Perfect size and weight, actually. Granted, AC30 iron is lighter than OR iron...

See, I use bass speakers (well, some 10"s from an old SVT that are almost guitar speakers anyway), have the FAC on the most bass-y click and have no trouble with too much bass or a lack of top-end. My band are a C# kinda band so having that low-end thunder is part of how I roll - but I still have quite a 'bitey' thing going on. In the 3+ years since I took the OR120 out of hibernation, though at least 6/7 different kinds of cab (215, 810, 412, 115, 410 of various makes), I've never once moved the FAC or needed to bring in the HF Drive!

The bright cap is still there, I saw no need to remove it as the amp sounded perfect as-is. All I've done to it is keep it serviced, changed filter caps, replace a couple of blown resistors, etc.

If I'm gonna go the whole hog and get something built I might as well have it do exactly what I need it to do.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:What's build time these days with you?

Really all depends on what transformers i need to use. If theyre off the shelf, usually a few weeks (say 4, just for some cushion). If theyre made to order then more like 8 weeks.
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:What's build time these days with you?

Really all depends on what transformers i need to use. If theyre off the shelf, usually a few weeks (say 4, just for some cushion). If theyre made to order then more like 8 weeks.

Cool. I'm gonna give it some thought, and wait until I get the thumbs-up on my work bonus and I'll get back to you. I have emailed Matamp to see what they can offer too but I doubt they'll be able to offer such a particular set of options before it gets into crazy money territory!

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 am

I have a weird hankering for a Firebird-shaped guitar.

Not wanting to stump up for the real-thing...as Gibson have the morals of an alleycat and the Quality Control of early-80's Taiwanese toys! Im guessing there's some Greco/whatever copies out there that are just as good - if not better.

Any suggestions? Would be looking to pay up to £700 I reckon. Interesting colours a bonus.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby losthighway on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am

The revamped Subdecay Echo Box I bought is a much classier, subtler delay pedal than the original I replaced it with.

What's your favorite wall of echoy noise delay pedal?
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

steve wrote:....only someone with a commitment to denial for its own sake could say they are all wrong about everything, but me in my living room, I figured it out.
losthighway
grand
grand

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 pm

losthighway wrote:What's your favorite wall of echoy noise delay pedal?

Any analog delay that can goose the front end of an amp - Memory Man, Malekko, or one of those little Moogs.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Major on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
losthighway wrote:What's your favorite wall of echoy noise delay pedal?

Any analog delay that can goose the front end of an amp - Memory Man, Malekko, or one of those little Moogs.

Yes re: Moogs. The added drive makes a huge difference.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Which memory man is the one to get?
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Which memory man is the one to get?

They all have drawbacks. Preferably one that isn’t $500! I had to go through a couple to find one I liked. Certain versions have a preamp that’s always on, so you might need a true bypass loop pedal or LS2 if you want to keep your signal as is. It doesn’t sound bad but it is different. I got an old one blue w/o chorus and vibrato for a reasonable price, but it was still expensive. Some of the 90s reissues had a switchable preamp, some didn’t, you just have to ask the seller. Also ask if there’s any high pitched whines or humming, and make sure you pay with PayPal if it does so you can return it. The graphics tend to peel off, which makes them go for less $, which is good as long as they work.
The Stereo ones go for way cheaper, but I’m not sure how different they are from any other model w/o modulation, minus the stereo jacks.
If it sounds like a lot of trouble, it is, as they are as famously inconsistent as EHX stuff can be. My friend has one that’s among the last of the big box reissues with a switchable pre. Tone hounds will tell you they suck and they have the wrong chips but it’s one of the best delays I’ve ever played.
Anyways, I made do with a Malekko or a Moog for a long time because I didn’t feel like fucking with it, then I found a good Memory Man and it’s irreplaceable. The delays are thick as hell!
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Tommy on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Which memory man is the one to get?

They all have drawbacks. Preferably one that isn’t $500! I had to go through a couple to find one I liked. Certain versions have a preamp that’s always on, so you might need a true bypass loop pedal or LS2 if you want to keep your signal as is. It doesn’t sound bad but it is different. I got an old one blue w/o chorus and vibrato for a reasonable price, but it was still expensive. Some of the 90s reissues had a switchable preamp, some didn’t, you just have to ask the seller. Also ask if there’s any high pitched whines or humming, and make sure you pay with PayPal if it does so you can return it. The graphics tend to peel off, which makes them go for less $, which is good as long as they work.
The Stereo ones go for way cheaper, but I’m not sure how different they are from any other model w/o modulation, minus the stereo jacks.
If it sounds like a lot of trouble, it is, as they are as famously inconsistent as EHX stuff can be. My friend has one that’s among the last of the big box reissues with a switchable pre. Tone hounds will tell you they suck and they have the wrong chips but it’s one of the best delays I’ve ever played.
Anyways, I made do with a Malekko or a Moog for a long time because I didn’t feel like fucking with it, then I found a good Memory Man and it’s irreplaceable. The delays are thick as hell!

What HE said.

I'll add this. I have an old one. I love it. I've owned a lot of delays trying to get that sound in smaller box without the drawbacks. If I didn't own that vintage one I would go one of these three ways for a DMM sound, in no particular order, USED if available:

1) Current EHX deluxe Memory Man in the smaller XO box and a Boss LS-2
2) Xvive Memory delay
3) Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe on "echo program 5"

If you just want a digital delay that behaves similarly to the DMM (minus the input drive) the Ibanez DML10 and DML20 are pretty convincing, albeit with cleaner delays. I had a DML and my vintage DMM on the same pedal board for a decade. Used both in tandem.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Tommy

Postby Dudley on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:18 am

Recommend me a spiky transparent-ish overdrive pedal.

I've been trying to get sounds I like out of a Fulldrive 3, and while I love the clean boost, all the overdrive sounds just seem incredibly generic and boring. It's just way too smooth, and the tone control feels really narrow and limiting, kinda like a "searchlight"

I've had success in the past with the Danelectro Transparent Drive, and even my Karma Suture at low levels, but I want the KS for high gain options, and it seems crazy to double up. I want low gain, on the edge of break-up, but for the break-up to actually sound a bit broken. Spiky.

I'm wondering if something where you can mix in the clean with the OD, like a Bass Soul Food, might be what I'm after.
Anthony Flack wrote:At the end of the day it's everybody's appreciation of cement that is the winner.
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Facundo on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am

Please recommend me an ABY pedal, and a guitar signal splitter.
Facundo
evita
evita

Postby Facundo on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

Dudley wrote:Recommend me a spiky transparent-ish overdrive pedal.

I've been trying to get sounds I like out of a Fulldrive 3, and while I love the clean boost, all the overdrive sounds just seem incredibly generic and boring. It's just way too smooth, and the tone control feels really narrow and limiting, kinda like a "searchlight"

Fulltones probbably are the most transparent-ish overdrives i've ever played or heard.

Xotic are another good option, with the RC booster first, and then the AC preamp or the BB booster which also are overdrive kind of distortion pedals, but not overdrive at all. I have not tried the Soul Drive or the SL mini pedals, these two are intended to be overdrives, not preamps neither boosters that can be used to overdrive. I love these pedals at the same level I hate the comic sans typhography of their design.
Facundo
evita
evita

Postby JohnnySomersett on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am

Facundo wrote:Please recommend me an ABY pedal, and a guitar signal splitter.

Lehle.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 am

I've had success in the past with the Danelectro Transparent Drive, and even my Karma Suture at low levels, but I want the KS for high gain options, and it seems crazy to double up. I want low gain, on the edge of break-up, but for the break-up to actually sound a bit broken. Spiky.

I'm wondering if something where you can mix in the clean with the OD, like a Bass Soul Food, might be what I'm after.

Have you tried a Klon yet? Or a Hot Cake?
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls

Postby Tommy on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am

I've been trying to get sounds I like out of a Fulldrive 3, and while I love the clean boost, all the overdrive sounds just seem incredibly generic and boring. It's just way too smooth, and the tone control feels really narrow and limiting, kinda like a "searchlight".

You might be the opposite of me. I like really smooth and without too much of a mid hump. It took me a long time to find a light overdrive I was really into.

Define "spiky". That to me means ice picky. Are you looking for excited upper mids/treble/presence or looking for a little edge/nastiness in the breakup? If it's the latter you might like a Klon on higher gain settings.

I haven't had an FD3, but I used an FD2 for a decade. I don't miss it. Here's a list of overdrives I've used/tried from most mid hump to least (this also happens pretty much be listed in order of least to most liked by me - FWIW):

Tube Screamer
Boss SD-1
Fulltone FD2 (modified screamer clone)
Walrus Voyager
Soul Food (Klon clone)
JHS Moonshine V2 (modified screamer clone)
Blues Breaker
Hot Cake

I'm extremely interested in trying a JHS Morning Glory V4 (modified Blues Breaker) and an Earthquaker Westwood sometime.

I'm not really in love with supporting JHS, but every newer one of their pedals the EQ section is tuned really, really nicely -- where almost the entire range of the EQ and Tone pots produce useful tones. The Moonshine is easily the best TS808 variant I've tried. And I've tried a LOT of them.

Try a Klon clone (Soul Food is CHEAP, but slightly thinner/noisier than some of the other clones) and if it isn't where you want to be, try describing what about it you wish was different.
Tommy

Postby Facundo on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:

Lehle.

Had considered it from before a good but expensive option. Thanks.
Facundo
evita
evita

Postby JohnnySomersett on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:01 pm

Facundo wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:

Lehle.

Had considered it from before a good but expensive option. Thanks.

I winced at the price too but, after trying a few with not-so-great results, bit the bullet and splashed out. Worth every single penny.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room