home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Peavey Gear?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Peavey Gear?

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:47 pm

yard barf wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Yep, though I believe it is even shorter than Mustang. Somewhere between 24" (Mustang/Jaguar)and 22.5" (original Duo-Sonic). A cursory google search seems to indicate 23.5".

Yeah, I just flipped one. They are super short scale, fun to play, pickups sound cool. Build quality seems pretty crappy though. If you read descriptions of T-15s for sale, they often say, "needs a set-up" "high action." I adjusted the neck on mine and a couple weeks later the string tension had bent the neck back to where it was before. I suspect this problem may be endemic to these very slender-necked guitars.

It's absolutely a 23.5" scale.

I'd have to agree that the neck on every Patriot or T-15 doesn't really say "We Are Ready To Join That Misfits Cover Band Now!"

While it's a pretty comfortable and slender neck, I waited all throughout my teens for that headstock to snap off.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby japmn on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:31 pm

phpBB [media]

Money shot at 4:35
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby ogpuprison on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 am

JohnnySomersett wrote:I snagged a bunch of Peavey gear today for not a lot of money.

A 2x15 D (for deep), two 1x15, and a MkIII Bass Head for £200!
All three cabs are loaded with Black Widows - although one is blown so I'm gonna rebaffle and make a 410

(the three on the furthest right)

That's a great deal, if you have the room and the muscles. I rate older Peavey gear too, but the Carlsboro keyboard amp series (hornet/cobra, etc) of a similar vintage is even better. The bass is less mushy, they just sound a bit more hifi, which I like. Thinking of getting Cobra 90 from a secondhand store, £80.. ..is that a reasonable price, people?
ogpuprison
warren spahn
warren spahn

Postby kazoozak on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Pulled the trigger on a Studio Pro 40 online from Guitar Center. Just under $100, shipping and all. The band I'm playing with these days is based a half-hour from me so I wanted something cheap, loud with some good headroom for practice and gigging that I can keep over at the band space, so hopefully this'll fit the bill and not have to lug my beloved TS50 everywhere.

Definitely love my Peavey Stunod (Standard) head that I've had for a while which is very versatile for bass, baritone and guitar.
kazoozak
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby garthplinko on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:05 am

Do you guys think two Bandits would be loud enough to get over a rock drummer?
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby projectMalamute on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 am

garthplinko wrote:Do you guys think two Bandits would be loud enough to get over a rock drummer?

Unless you need tons of super deep low end I would think so, for sure. I sometimes play with a Danny Gatton style telecaster shredder dude in a not quiet band and he does fine with one.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Tommy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:27 am

garthplinko wrote:Do you guys think two Bandits would be loud enough to get over a rock drummer?

We used to do it with ONE Bandit 65 in high school. Might depend on how clean you need it. Usually Peaveys produce a lot of loud clean tone, but I honestly don't remember how loud this particular Peavey was clean...

Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby garthplinko on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Tommy wrote:

We used to do it with ONE Bandit 65 in high school. Might depend on how clean you need it. Usually Peaveys produce a lot of loud clean tone, but I honestly don't remember how loud this particular Peavey was clean...

I think I'm on the hunt for a couple Peavey Specials at this point which is basically a Bandit w/ double the wattage. Wasn't aware they existed previously, but this should get me where I need to be.
garthplinko

Postby yard barf on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Would this 2 channel Peavey interest you?

400 watts per channel. $175.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/ ... 30841.html
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby numberthirty on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:06 pm

A couple of quick things...

- I've heard a single Special combo be more than loud enough to do that on a few occasions.

- The Yamaha T50C was my brother's main live amp in band situations. Those guys used to call it "The Rage Box" because it used to just go Godzilla on any other sound in the band. Easily kept up with drums/a head and a 4X12/an SVT bass amp. They don't turn up all over the place, but it might be worth keeping in mind.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby garthplinko on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 am

yard barf wrote:

Would this 2 channel Peavey interest you?

400 watts per channel. $175.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/ ... 30841.html

Yeah I have been considering stereo power amp for what I'm doing so thanks for the suggestion but this particular amp? OMG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO

NO - NIGHTMARES

They are great amps but they weigh as much as an SVT (at least that's how I remember). They sound GREAT! And plenty powerful! I used one for small shows/rehearsal for 15 years and they were absolutely wretched to move around. Those should be used for installs only at this point.
garthplinko

Postby garthplinko on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 am

numberthirty wrote:

A couple of quick things...

- I've heard a single Special combo be more than loud enough to do that on a few occasions.

- The Yamaha T50C was my brother's main live amp in band situations. Those guys used to call it "The Rage Box" because it used to just go Godzilla on any other sound in the band. Easily kept up with drums/a head and a 4X12/an SVT bass amp. They don't turn up all over the place, but it might be worth keeping in mind.

The T50C looks rad and has been on my radar for a while but for that price I think I can get TWO Peavey Specials or Bandits for price of one of those. Two is the key as I'm doing some stereo nonsense and considering how many amps I already have, I can't really justify spending $1000 on more amps.
garthplinko

Postby yard barf on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:34 am

garthplinko wrote:but this particular amp? OMG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO

NO - NIGHTMARES

They are great amps but they weigh as much as an SVT (at least that's how I remember).

hahaha. Jesus, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't want to lug that around.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby endofanera on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 am

yard barf wrote:
garthplinko wrote:but this particular amp? OMG NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO

NO - NIGHTMARES

They are great amps but they weigh as much as an SVT (at least that's how I remember).

It doesn't weigh as much as an SVT (we had an SVT at the same time as we owned our Peavey powered PA).

That said, they are indeed very heavy power amps. Indestructible, cheap, good for folks just learning how to mix live sound because of the built in limiter, and quite heavy. Just not quite THAT heavy. More like the weight of a Twin maybe.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby garthplinko on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 am

endofanera wrote:
yard barf wrote:

NO - NIGHTMARES

It doesn't weigh as much as an SVT (we had an SVT at the same time as we owned our Peavey powered PA).

That said, they are indeed very heavy power amps. Indestructible, cheap, good for folks just learning how to mix live sound because of the built in limiter, and quite heavy. Just not quite THAT heavy. More like the weight of a Twin maybe.

I was being hyperbolic. Next time will use "boat anchor" to make it more obvious. I figured in this day-and-age, SVT would be interchangeable. :mrgreen:
garthplinko

Postby japmn on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

garthplinko wrote:Yeah I have been considering stereo power amp for what I'm doing

I'm using the mono version of this with a Rusty Box for a bass amp right now and love it. A friend has the 120/120 but I don't need all that. when I find the Stereo 60 watt, I'm buying it. You can get them for under $200 all day, which isn't really bad for anything tube. I bet they can be modified to be a bit cleaner and more robust even with little effort. Better ground buss, maybe rebuild the power supply. Cool, rarely talked about Peavey things.
japmn

Postby Boombats on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:47 pm

japmn wrote:
garthplinko wrote:Yeah I have been considering stereo power amp for what I'm doing

I'm using the mono version of this with a Rusty Box for a bass amp right now and love it. A friend has the 120/120 but I don't need all that. when I find the Stereo 60 watt, I'm buying it. You can get them for under $200 all day, which isn't really bad for anything tube. I bet they can be modified to be a bit cleaner and more robust even with little effort. Better ground buss, maybe rebuild the power supply. Cool, rarely talked about Peavey things.

Which amp are you talking about now?
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Stereo power amp with Rusty Box is the bass amp of champions. And of me.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby japmn on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Boombats wrote:
japmn wrote:

Which amp are you talking about now?

Sorry. Peavey Tube Power amps. They come in mono 60 and 120 watt versions and in stereo 60 and 120 watt versions. They are really cheap and all tube.

I got my 60 watt Mono for $125 I think
japmn

Postby japmn on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Stereo versions can be bridged, so the 120/120 will give you 240 watts. I've seen stereo 120/120 for under $300 many, many times. also, notice the mislabeled tubes in the 120/120 pic... dummies.
japmn

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room