home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Peavey Gear?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Peavey Gear?

Postby Facundo on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 pm

My first guitar amp was one of those cheap peavey 15watt 12" amps from the 90s. I hated it until I had a better guitar, and start loving it days before i had to sell it to have enough for a Jazz Chorus 120.

One of the bassist i played with had a 15" 300W bass combo from the 80 and was solid... indestructible and reliable as a battle tank, with more than a worthy sound... but very heavy to move to the stages. I played some other solid state peavey guitar amps leaving me good feel and the popular Valvekings, very good in price-quality ratio. I heard all the amp production was lead to china and currently the Mississippi factory does not make any amp of the Peavey family.

These furnitures of the 80s really deserve to be bought for the price of the secondhand market, but better to try them and not do a blind purchase.

I remember the documentary "You see me laughin'" about the last Mississippi bluesmen alive and all of them use peavey guitar amps from the 80s. I don't know if they were all endorsed by Peavey or were best relation quality-price amps there.

phpBB [media]
Facundo
pryor
pryor

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:21 am

I've snagged a late 70s Peavey 2x15 (the goddamn massive one) to go with my Peavey Century 200 Bass head.

Should get it tomorrow then I'll be in Peavey-bass heaven. That would be a full vintage Bass rig for less than £120 :)
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby endofanera on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:I've snagged a late 70s Peavey 2x15 (the goddamn massive one) to go with my Peavey Century 200 Bass head.

I have one of these, suitably beaten up. You will love it.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:16 am

Facundo wrote:I don't know if they were all endorsed by Peavey or were best relation quality-price amps there.

Most likely because they were made down the road in Meridian, Mississippi. Having lived in the south for a number of years, you can't really escape Peavey gear. It's just laying around in everybody's house.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Vintage Peaveys are pretty awesome. Later on it got a lot sketchier, but a lot of guitarists got great tones out of those older models, and you can still find most of them for cheap.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby JohnnySomersett on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:48 pm

endofanera wrote:
JohnnySomersett wrote:I've snagged a late 70s Peavey 2x15 (the goddamn massive one) to go with my Peavey Century 200 Bass head.

I have one of these, suitably beaten up. You will love it.

Mine is is relatively good shape. I havent had chance to plug anything into it yet but it looks the shizz.

I have a set of castors next to me that has a home waiting on the bottom of it when I get a chance to screw them on. Damn thing is heavy!

Edit: I put the castors on.

Last edited by JohnnySomersett on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Mason on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I've seen people talk up certain models of Peavey microphones. Very rarely, though.

I'd like to learn more about good Peavey microphones. And good Peavey recording equipment generally—I know they made an AMR cassette four-tracker that, if nothing else, looked kind of badass.

Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:49 am

One of my favorite bass sounds was a Marshall Silver Jubille 3530 into a Peavey 2x15 with Black Widows.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:One of my favorite bass sounds was a Marshall Silver Jubille 3530 into a Peavey 2x15 with Black Widows.

How was the Nomeansno show?
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:18 am

Mason wrote:I've seen people talk up certain models of Peavey microphones. Very rarely, though.

I'd like to learn more about good Peavey microphones. And good Peavey recording equipment generally—I know they made an AMR cassette four-tracker that, if nothing else, looked kind of badass.

Just recorded with a peavey 520i on kick. No complaints, a little dry but with a bit of compression it sounds great
TylerSavage
matt damon
matt damon

Postby bishopdante on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 am

I wonder why more companies didn't make four tracks like this:

Apparently that's Peavey model MCR 4/A.
Last edited by bishopdante on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mason on Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:49 am

Agreed. Tascam made a few BYOMixer cassette multi-trackers. The most appealing being the 238, which is only the tape machine section of the 688 Midistudio eight-track. I will probably pick up a 238 at some point, because I'm an idiot.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:20 pm

I snagged a bunch of Peavey gear today for not a lot of money.

A 2x15 D (for deep), two 1x15, and a MkIII Bass Head for £200!
All three cabs are loaded with Black Widows - although one is blown so I'm gonna rebaffle and make a 410

(the three on the furthest right)

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Anyone have any experience with the peavey T15? Theres a pretty sweet looking one on CL for $350. Dude said he'd trade for a MIM tele and I have a pretty sweet Tele copy made by a local guy that blows comparably priced Fenders away. IMO of course.

Anyways, i'm just wondering if I'd have to go in and replace everything (maybe not the pickups) or if the hardware is pretty solid on these?
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/d ... 55086.html
Riff Magnum
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Anyone have any experience with the peavey T15? Theres a pretty sweet looking one on CL for $350. Dude said he'd trade for a MIM tele and I have a pretty sweet Tele copy made by a local guy that blows comparably priced Fenders away. IMO of course.

Anyways, i'm just wondering if I'd have to go in and replace everything (maybe not the pickups) or if the hardware is pretty solid on these?

Those are short but not child-scale, right?
biscuitdough
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 am

biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Anyone have any experience with the peavey T15? Theres a pretty sweet looking one on CL for $350. Dude said he'd trade for a MIM tele and I have a pretty sweet Tele copy made by a local guy that blows comparably priced Fenders away. IMO of course.

Those are short but not child-scale, right?

Yeah, I think they're Peaveys answer to the Mustang. Don't know the actual scale length but I'm sure i could find it online.
Was gonna meet the guy on Saturday, but he flaked. If it had a case it would be a solid trade, as is I think he's making out a little better. If it was a T-60 I think I'd be getting the better of the trade.
Those super ferrite pickups are whats really making me curious, but this guy didn't wanna try out my tele through an amp. Just a meet and swap which, I dunno, I wanna play that thing first. Crazy I know.
People are super cautious about their personal safety on craisglist but super reckless about buying and trading without a test drive. It seems to happen more times than not.
Riff Magnum
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Tommy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah, I think they're Peaveys answer to the Mustang. Don't know the actual scale length but I'm sure i could find it online.

Those super ferrite pickups are whats really making me curious, but this guy didn't wanna try out my tele through an amp. Just a meet and swap which, I dunno, I wanna play that thing first. Crazy I know.

Yep, though I believe it is even shorter than Mustang. Somewhere between 24" (Mustang/Jaguar)and 22.5" (original Duo-Sonic). A cursory google search seems to indicate 23.5".

Those pickups rule! The T-15 is a pretty fun guitar. I doubt it would be anyone's main guitar though. I think the body and bridge positioning are the same as the T-60, which would make the T-15 an excellent candidate for an EGC bolt-on.
Tommy

Postby Mason on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 am

I owned a Peavey Patriot that had those Super Ferrite single coils. They sounded good—I'd describe it as a very generalized single coil sound, bright and open but without a characteristic twang or quack or anything. I liked them and would own a guitar with them again, but I also can't expect to see Curtis Novak or Jason Lollar offering their own spin on them, you know?

I have the same gripe with classifieds people. I appreciate people's privacy/safety concerns, but if you're selling me something that plugs into a wall, you can't ask me to meet you in the parking lot of a Safeway.
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby yard barf on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Yep, though I believe it is even shorter than Mustang. Somewhere between 24" (Mustang/Jaguar)and 22.5" (original Duo-Sonic). A cursory google search seems to indicate 23.5".

Yeah, I just flipped one. They are super short scale, fun to play, pickups sound cool. Build quality seems pretty crappy though. If you read descriptions of T-15s for sale, they often say, "needs a set-up" "high action." I adjusted the neck on mine and a couple weeks later the string tension had bent the neck back to where it was before. I suspect this problem may be endemic to these very slender-necked guitars.
yard barf
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm

I might pull the trigger on it. If I love it, then yeah EGC bolt on. If not, I got a decent guitar to play at home. I have small-ish hands so....
My bassists T-40 sounds incredible, so i thought if the T-60 and T-15 were in the same ballpark then why not. There's a couple beat up T60's on CL and Reverb right now.
Riff Magnum
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room