home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

How to boost volume of a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: How to boost volume of a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb?

Postby biscuitdough on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Classictone has larger transformers that I'm pretty sure fit the bolt pattern and cutouts of the originals. I would just buy a Showman Reverb head, though.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Tommy wrote:You could put an extremely efficient speaker in there (or use an efficient extension cabinet) and maybe get what you're looking for.

Depending on the stock speaker, this could make a tremendous difference. I can't tell you what the stock speaker's sensitivity is, but it's probably not hard to beat. Look for a speaker with a high sensitivity rating (>100dB). My Eminence Wizard 16s have an absurd sensitivity of 103.5 dB and my Wizard 16-loaded 2x12 is louder than most 4x12s I've used.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby chris jury on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:
Tommy wrote:You could put an extremely efficient speaker in there (or use an efficient extension cabinet) and maybe get what you're looking for.

Depending on the stock speaker, this could make a tremendous difference. I can't tell you what the stock speaker's sensitivity is, but it's probably not hard to beat. Look for a speaker with a high sensitivity rating (>100dB). My Eminence Wizard 16s have an absurd sensitivity of 103.5 dB and my Wizard 16-loaded 2x12 is louder than most 4x12s I've used.

Agreed on this point. I use an open back 1x12 cab loaded with an Eminence EM12 (their EVM12L clone) and I am still very loud- like complaining sound guy loud. I bet if you swapped in a high efficiency speaker and made a little 1x12 with another good speaker, you'd be there. I played some very loud rock shows in the UK using borrowed AC15s or Peavey Bandits, unmiced, no problem.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Adam P on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Siriiven of the Boards wrote:I have a mesa boogie triple rectifier amp I am not using too much. Is there any way to run the fender through that and use it as a sort of power amp?

Not without modding the DR to add a line out.

This got me thinking...

Anybody here tried something like placing an L-pad in parallel with the speaker load? I think my calculations are correct:

An L-pad with a total resistance (series + shunt) of 5k would have a nearly negligible impact on total load to the amp (7.98 ohms with a theoretical 8-ohm speaker).

Padding down ~30 dB would take 4.7k series and 160R shunt resistors, using standard 5% values (actual pad: -29.65 dB).

100w into the 7.98-ohm load is about 28.3V across the load. 28.3V across the pad is about 165 mW. Voltage across the shunt resistor is a little less than 1V, or about 1.6 dBu. That’s plenty low enough to run into a power amp, and halve all of it if the amp is only making 25w.

So am I missing something here? Adverse tonal implications?
Adam P
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby TylerSavage on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I believe that's exactly what the line out on my Weber mass attenuator is doing and i've never had issues. Tonal implications... yes - is it bad? I don't think so, I quite liked the sound.
TylerSavage
whistle blower
whistle blower

Previous

Return to Tech Room