home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Recommend me: combo amp for swirly fuzzy pretty noise

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Recommend me: combo amp for swirly fuzzy pretty noise

Postby Ace Zero on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:23 pm

Happy New Year!

So after years of pretty much playing no electric guitar, I've decided that now is the time to explore it again. I seem to be headed in a Noveller-plays-Floydian-spacedoom solo act sort of direction. I play a Les Paul and my board is still very nascent, involving things I've managed to pick up over the years (DD5, Tuna Melt, Phase 90, Muff, Sabbra) and the amps I have at my disposal are a Laney Protube 30W combo and a Barcus Berry SXL-15. I am not in love with either of them for these purposes and am more than willing to trade/sell them... but I'm not sure what to look for. I want a combo that sounds great clean but takes pedals well (I guess that goes without saying), sounds good at house volumes (more room than an apartment, but gigging's not a priority) and won't run me over $500. (ETA: preferably, but not necessarily, with onboard reverb).

In casual conversation, people have suggested Deluxe Reverbs, Bassmen, etc. (And tonight I'm checking out a '67 Gemini I, just to see). I realize this is all highly subjective and of course the thing to do is play them, but despite a half-dozen shops within easy reach, the amp selection seems pretty skimpy, so I thought I'd ask around even more...

Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome and appreciated.
"Make a sudden, destructive unpredictable action; incorporate." (Brian Eno)
Ace Zero
secretary of the interior

Re: Recommend me: combo amp for swirly fuzzy pretty noise

Postby garthplinko on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm

If you are doing a lot of pedal stuff, just get a JC-120 and call it good. Pretty much puts out what you put in.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby garthplinko on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

If you feel like you have to go tube though, the 70s MusicMan amps will do very well for you and won't break the bank.
garthplinko

Postby Ace Zero on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm

garthplinko wrote:If you are doing a lot of pedal stuff, just get a JC-120 and call it good. Pretty much puts out what you put in.

Funny, I had a JC-120 for years, then traded it in for a Barcus Berry because the Roland was too brittle, plus it didn't like my Muff.
Ace Zero

Postby garthplinko on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Ace Zero wrote:
garthplinko wrote:If you are doing a lot of pedal stuff, just get a JC-120 and call it good. Pretty much puts out what you put in.

Funny, I had a JC-120 for years, then traded it in for a Barcus Berry because the Roland was too brittle, plus it didn't like my Muff.

Admittedly, that is one of the complaints of those amps. Would try a MusicMan if you have the opportunity then. Have had one for many years and other folks who have used them w/ pedals and no issues. Haven't ran an actual big muff in one though as I've never been a huge fan of them w/ guitar.
garthplinko

Postby Ace Zero on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

garthplinko wrote:
Ace Zero wrote:

Admittedly, that is one of the complaints of those amps. Would try a MusicMan if you have the opportunity then. Have had one for many years and other folks who have used them w/ pedals and no issues. Haven't ran an actual big muff in one though as I've never been a huge fan of them w/ guitar.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I haven't seen any around here, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. I think my old Roland is still at the shop I traded with; maybe they'd do a straight trade back! :roll:
Ace Zero

Postby Facundo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:13 pm

I have a JC120 and I have the same experience with fuzzs... I don't like the sound having tried the big american muff and russian V8 muff. But the sound with overdrives or boss overwhelming distortions like the HM-2, the DF-2 or the DS-1 is pretty awesome. It's the perfect effect eater and also nice with full-range boosters or any other effect with a good clipping... I really like that solid sustain these solid state amps hold when you enter the pre a little bit exceeding...

For under $500 the fender Hot Rod is the starting amp I'll check. The bassmans are different... I'd never bought a classic tweed 59' bassman (4x10 jensens), this amp repels the pedals because it has a hard, sharp and granular sound, my experience is which only pedals like the tech21 sansamp can make the 59' a more versatile box. For under 400 you have Sovtek MIG50s and for $500 a new Electro Harmonix MIG50 which are designs made from the bassmans (well, not the same components neither PCB quality but same circuit... talking between the Sovtek and the EHX)... I own a MIG50 from the 90s and it can can pull walls. Only now that it needs tube replacements because has red platting... bright channel has hisses and other noises I realize that I need an attenuator. The Sovtek had a beautiful clean and also is a good pedal eater and for under or near $100 the Fender SC112 is a good 1x12 partner if you want to defend yourself from the armies.
pigs in the truck looking for landscapes, muds to romp in, sticking neck out from the jails, clogging the road on first bridge. dancing the head for a dream, a guarrería or panorama, jam in both directions, ham right to only one
Facundo
satan
satan

Postby tallchris on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Fender Twin, or Music Man HD-130.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

tallchris wrote:Fender Twin, or Music Man HD-130.

- Fenders with red knobs
- Early Eighties' Peaveys
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby japmn on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 pm

^

Yeah, a Twin if you want Spring reverb, which you should. I had a Quad Reverb for a long time. Same schematic as the 100 watt Twin Reverb but in a 4X12 combo. Good for just making a lot of noise. If you arent stuck to combos, any Bassman head is good and the Peavey Musician Bass Heads are good too. I like the first generation but most people look for the third. You can buy those all say for under $150 and they are capable guitar and bass amps.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ace Zero on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for all these ideas! I played a '67 Gemini I tonight that I really dug. Handled all the pedals (as well as acoustic), sounded great clean, insides in great shape, outside a little rough, $400 - I may make it mine...
Ace Zero

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 pm

Ace Zero wrote:Thanks for all these ideas! I played a '67 Gemini I tonight that I really dug. Handled all the pedals (as well as acoustic), sounded great clean, insides in great shape, outside a little rough, $400 - I may make it mine...

It's hard to argue with that. I take it said amp will fit into the "Volume" range that you mentioned?
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Ace Zero on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Yeah - I kept it at about 3 1/2 or 4 and it was crystal clear, which is about as loud as I'm ever likely to be. Over 5 and it started to break up nicely.
Ace Zero

Postby Boombats on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm curious about those new Supros. Supposedly they make good pedal platforms.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby japmn on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:22 am

Those Gemini are the Lilys amp. That can def do swirly fuzzy for sure.
japmn

Postby Tommy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Ace Zero wrote:

I've seen this complaint a lot. I've owned a lot of speakers. I'm reasonably sure the complaint is due to those stock speakers with the aluminum dust covers. Just about the only speaker I've ever had with an Aluminum dust cap that didn't sound brittle was the Altec 417. And even then, they still don't love some fuzzes. I bet a speaker change one of these amps would be a HUGE improvement.

Boombats wrote:I'm curious about those new Supros. Supposedly they make good pedal platforms.

I haven't plugged many pedals into these, but the couple I've demoed in store have sounded pretty great, albeit expensive.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Return to Tech Room