home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ampeg Isovent cabinet

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Ampeg Isovent cabinet

Postby TomWanderer on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:54 pm

Hey guys! Asking for a friend; any opinions on the Ampeg Isovent cabs? 2x10"s up top, 2x15"s in a clam shell configuration down below. They look pretty rad. My friend is playing a Bass VI with a Musicman HD130 and is eyeing one of these cabinets. Sure looks neat, but I have no experience. He posted on Talk Bass asking for opinions, but the current trending topic is about hot sauce and he's not getting any responses. Figured I'd throw it to the PRF.

TomWanderer
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Re: Ampeg Isovent cabinet

Postby department_2702 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

One came through the store I used to work at, coincidentally at the same time as an old SVT. It sounded huge, definitely good. It was a while ago, but I remember it had more of the sonic character of a 15" cab than a 10" cab. Maybe 75% 15" sound, 25% 10" sound, so like a 15 cab with a bit more presence and punch. LOTS of bass.

An Ampeg collector traded his 8x10 for it. Tried the same SVT through the 8x10 and liked the sound better, but that's more of a matter of personal taste.

It is VERY HEAVY.
department_2702
convert
convert

Re: Ampeg Isovent cabinet

Postby mmmribsmmm on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:56 pm

I played with a guy that used one. It sounded good, the 10's really give it a focused midrange that you wouldn't expect from a cab with 2 15's. And yes, it's terribly heavy. I think I even looked it up once on some site and it was around 130lbs. If you're thinking of gigging with it or even just moving it around at all get some type of dolly, even if it has casters.

Other than that, it's pretty wicked.
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Return to Tech Room