home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Best Way to Ship Drums

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Best Way to Ship Drums

Postby noise&light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 am

Hey, gear hive mind!

Found the drum kit that I was looking for on eBay, but the seller had the kit listed as "pick-up only" and was located in the middle of nowhere. I convinced him that it wouldn't be difficult to bring the kit to UPS, they would pack it, and I'd be happy to pay $120 for shipping. Honestly, I've never shipped a kit before, so I'd like to hear about the safest and smartest way to do this.

There are no cases, just drums.

Is that a safe shipping price? We agreed that if it was more, I'd cover it. He would refund the difference if it is less.

Do you recommend that he takes the heads off and puts them inside one another?

Also, I suggested UPS and he only gave me the option to select FedEx air or ground. Does anyone have any feelings about UPS versus FedEx? We're going to discuss shipping so I don't think I'm locked into anything.

Looking for any and all advice. I'm concerned about a kit getting banged up, winding up with a much larger price tag than planned, etc.

Thanks!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: The Best Way to Ship Drums

Postby Kyle Motor on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:15 am

noise&light wrote:Do you recommend that he takes the heads off and puts them inside one another?

A friend had a nice vintage Rogers kit shipped to him this way. 24" kick, 18" floor and 2 rack toms in 2 boxes, each double-boxed. It's been awhile so some of the details are foggy, but he removed all the heads, wrapped each drum in a substantial amount of thick bubble wrap. I believe the bigger rack tom was nested in the kick, and the smaller one within the floor tom. Rims were removed and separately bubble-wrapped. More bubble wrap and batting between all the shells & rims.

It all has to get to a point where everything is cushioned, but solid, and nothing within the boxes can move....then double-box it. Hope that helps.

noise&light wrote:Also, I suggested UPS and he only gave me the option to select FedEx air or ground. Does anyone have any feelings about UPS versus FedEx? We're going to discuss shipping so I don't think I'm locked into anything.

Don't know if the same will apply, but at my job we ship lots of computer hardware, and we've standardized on FedEx Air. We'll use FedEx ground occasionally if we're having old stuff shipped back to us because it's cheaper, but the package handling seems to be rougher. We had substantially more damaged shipments with UPS.
That dog won't hunt, monsignor.
zom-zom wrote:Fuck you loser pussies that hate KISS.

Go listen to your beard-nerd aluminum guitar shit. See if I care.
Kyle Motor
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby garthplinko on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 am

Kyle Motor wrote:
noise&light wrote:Also, I suggested UPS and he only gave me the option to select FedEx air or ground. Does anyone have any feelings about UPS versus FedEx? We're going to discuss shipping so I don't think I'm locked into anything.

Don't know if the same will apply, but at my job we ship lots of computer hardware, and we've standardized on FedEx Air. We'll use FedEx ground occasionally if we're having old stuff shipped back to us because it's cheaper, but the package handling seems to be rougher. We had substantially more damaged shipments with UPS.

Second this - they are likely doing you a serious favor w/ FedEx over UPS. Have had many terrible experiences w/ UPS damaging things in shipping and none w/ FedEx in my long history of gear hoarding (most of which has been shipped to me).
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am

Hello!
UPS stores will eat you alive with packing costs. It's unfortunate, but it's how they make their money. I learned this the hard way.

Is this kit anywhere near me, Liz? I'm happy to do this for you!

Here's how I do this, for future drum shippers:

When I ship a kit, I generally call my local music stores hunting for a drum kit box because they're usually super sturdy and they have some reinforcement on the corners.

I take the heads off of the kick drum, put all of the t-rods in a ziplock, label it "kick drum," and then put some bubble wrap in the bottom of the box, lay a kick drum head on top of it, then put the drum on top of that, so that the bearing edge is protected. Then I put one hoop over the other end of the drum without a head, so it should rest against the lugs.

Then I line the inside of the drum with craftpaper, then bubble wrap, and put the floor tom in with only the bottom head on. If there are tone controls on the inside of the drum, I usually remove those and put them (and the t-rods from the other end of the drum) in a ziplock bag labeled "floor tom."

There's now a pile next to your box that has one head of the kick drum, one hoop of the kick drum, one head of the floor tom, and one hoop of the floor tom, set aside.

Assuming it's one rack tom, you should be able to nest it inside the floor tom, though I've had to remove all of the lugs on a 13" Ludwig rack tom going into a 16" floor tom. It's time consuming but it's worth it to avoid scratching up the interior of the drum.

Once you've determined if you can fit the rack tom, just wrap it in bubble wrap with an outer layer of craft paper and drop it in.

Once that's done, you'll have some corners outside of the kick drum that inevitably result from putting a round drum in a square box, where you will put your baggies full of hardware and your floor tom legs, rack tom arm, stuff like that. Wrap these in bubble wrap to cushion the dead space and to protect the outer finish on the kick drum.

Now lay your floor tom hoop over the end of the floor tom so it rests against the lugs on the floor tom. Maybe wrap it in craft paper if the finish on the drum is lacquer or fragile wrap like satin flame. lay the floor tom head on like a lid, then repeat this process with the kick drum hoop, then the head.

Now fill any dead space with newspaper or puppies.

Seal with packing tape, ship with FedEx ground. (They're the cheapest for large boxes.)

Good luck!
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby noise&light on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

Wow! All solid information. It seems do-able as long as I can get my seller to do a little bit of work.

The kit is in Oreland, PA. Just far enough for it to not be a great day trip.

Thanks a million, everyone! This is incredibly useful!
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby yard barf on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:49 am

One more vote for Fed Ex here. UPS is insanely expensive and their website sucks if you need to re-direct a package or have it held or whatever. USPS is more of a demolition company than a delivery service.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Wrong end of the state for FM Maurice.... someone has to be near the Philly suburbs, though!
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Redline on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 pm

Shipping drums sucks.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby elisha wiesner on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm

I guess I'm in the minority but I HATE Fed-ex. I ship a couple hundred things a month at this point and won't use then at all. I'll lose a sale over shipping fed-ex. Damaged and lost items seem to be the norm with them. They may work well in cities but in rural areas, the routes are owned by low bid contractors and they pay overworked, untrained workers minimum wage to deliver your stuff with no real incentive to have it arrive on time or in one piece. The person picking up or delivering your package doesn't actually work for Fed-ex. UPS drivers are well paid and are not contractors. Not that I love them or anything but, at least here, they are much better. I ship 99% of my stuff through the USPS with almost no issues. Their tracking is worse but stuff shows up undamaged.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby yard barf on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm

elisha wiesner wrote: They may work well in cities but in rural areas, the routes are owned by low bid contractors and they pay overworked, untrained workers minimum wage to deliver your stuff with no real incentive to have it arrive on time or in one piece. The person picking up or delivering your package doesn't actually work for Fed-ex.

What?! Jesus, that's ridiculous. I had no idea.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Yeah, FedEx (ground, not express) drivers own their own trucks, as far as I know. If you look close, you'll see them in various states of disrepair. The guy that services my neighborhood has had a broken exhaust for 6 months.

That being said, I buy a lot of heavy amps, and the FedEx boxes always arrive in better shape than the UPS boxes.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby yard barf on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:19 am

noise&light wrote:
Found the drum kit that I was looking for on eBay,

Say, what's the kit?
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Nate Dort on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am

yard barf wrote:
noise&light wrote:

Say, what's the kit?

I'm going to guess it's this one, based on completed sales located in Oreland, PA that cost $120 to ship: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Catali ... 3058720431
Nate Dort

Postby noise&light on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:28 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
yard barf wrote:
noise&light wrote:

Say, what's the kit?

I'm going to guess it's this one, based on completed sales located in Oreland, PA that cost $120 to ship: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Catali ... 3058720431

That's the one. I asked him to change it to Buy it Now and offered $120 in shipping. It should be getting here in two boxes, on Saturday and Monday.
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby yard barf on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:14 am

noise&light wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:
yard barf wrote:
noise&light wrote:

Say, what's the kit?

That's the one. I asked him to change it to Buy it Now and offered $120 in shipping. It should be getting here in two boxes, on Saturday and Monday.

Nice! Rock on.
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 am

noise&light wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:
yard barf wrote:
noise&light wrote:

Say, what's the kit?

Hooray!
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby gnangle on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 pm

dammit im like twenty minutes from oreland ,good luck sorry i didnt see this sooner.
gnangle
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby mmmribsmmm on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

I just got a guitar today that was shipped to my office via USPS. It was supposed to show up last Friday by 8 but that didn't happen and for the past 6 days I've been waiting for it to change from "Delayed" to "out for delivery". There was no info between the tracking message of delayed and out for delivery. You can't even file a report until it's been 7 days since the original expected delivery date.

A couple years ago I bought a guitar and the sender set it up so I could pick it up personally at the UPS facility. It worked out great, on time, in good condition, etc. See if this is possible. UPS and Fed Ex are probably higher, but USPS has been having major problems the past few years.

My .02
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby noise&light on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am

gnangle wrote:dammit im like twenty minutes from oreland ,good luck sorry i didnt see this sooner.

You know, I actually had a pretty easy time figuring this out with the seller. He had been initially reluctant to ship but actually went to the trouble of figuring out that it made sense to ship in two packages, and that one package would be considerably cheaper via FedEx and the other USPS. I made it clear that I'd cover the cost of all materials and was willing to pay more if necessary. So, I appreciate the offer, but I think that this all went as well as it could have gone. I'll let you know when and if (gulp) the packages arrive. Thanks!
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby noise&light on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 am

mmmribsmmm wrote:...A couple years ago I bought a guitar and the sender set it up so I could pick it up personally at the UPS facility. It worked out great, on time, in good condition, etc. See if this is possible. UPS and Fed Ex are probably higher, but USPS has been having major problems the past few years.

My .02

Good luck with the guitar. That's gotta be frustrating and nerve-wracking trying to figure out where it is.

I forgot that you could make arrangements with UPS like that. Good to know for future eBay purchases.
There's no reason
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Next

Return to Tech Room