Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

TOOL?

CRAP
53%
NOT CRAP
47%

Total votes : 200

Postby Gramsci on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:27 pm

I only liked Aenima - maybe the stuff before... all the rest is cock.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Rotten Tanx on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:08 pm

I had a big argument with my friend about this band the other night.

He said they're perfect and I agreed.

Only I'm not interested in perfection.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Chapter Two on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:17 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:I had a big argument with my friend about this band the other night.

I try to avoid Pro-Tool arguments.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby garble on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:19 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:I had a big argument with my friend about this band the other night.

Ha ha. Similar thing happened to me yesterday.

A girl I know was talking to one of the painting teachers who is well known for making paintings based on cutting edge math and physics, and she was telling him how Tool's drummer played parts that followed the golden section...

Sure, but the golden section is pretty boring...

Funny.
garble
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby lil'kim on Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 pm

you have to listen again.

it's a great great band.
lil'kim
kukla
kukla

Postby Pure L on Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:05 am

Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby andyman on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:57 am

Got Aenima, Undertow and heard bits of Lateralus.

Good overall, but I don't exactly take all that religious, etc. shit seriously.

NOT CRAP

They're also moneygrabbing fucks.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby andyman on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:16 pm

These guys put on one hell of a show. They projected moving clouds above the audience using lasers.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby rocker654 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:47 pm

A Not Crap band in a mostly Crap time.
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby fraser on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:47 pm

I told one of my friends who likes Tool "take away all the image and everything, you realise they sound really like silverchair right?" and he paused and thought about it for a bit.....then said "aw no!".
we both still think tool are good. but they do sound like that band.
fraser
madame ooglepuss
madame ooglepuss

Postby rocker654 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:21 pm

fraser wrote:I told one of my friends who likes Tool "take away all the image and everything, you realise they sound really like silverchair right?" and he paused and thought about it for a bit.....then said "aw no!".
we both still think tool are good. but they do sound like that band.

What?

I've rarely seen such an outrageous comparison. Isn't there just a slight bit of difference in the percussion department? Not to mention just about everything else?

You krazy kids!
rocker654

Postby tutku on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:01 pm

tool is shufistsz
Crap
dude
tutku
alan dershowitz
alan dershowitz

Postby Incornsyucopia on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Adam CR wrote:Absolute cock.

The whole 'complex music' thing is nonsense perpetuated by people who clearly don't know anything about the technical side of music; yes they sometimes play in odd time signatures, but it's consistently clear that this is done in an entirely contrived way rather than because the melodic/harmonic content dictates/demands it.

They sound like a band who count as they play.

Purest COCK.

About Tool I do not care. Too loud and pretentious for my taste, but I do remember some moments of high school stoner bliss listening to Opiate and Undertow.

I would like you, however, to please explain how "melodic/harmonic contents" can "dictates/demands" that they be in an odd time signature? I've been writing music for many years and I have never had a melody or harmony "demand" that it be in any particular time signature. In fact, I've never had music I'm writing dictate or demand anything of me. Suggest perhaps; demand certainly not. Afterall a melody, harmony or combination of both can be arranged in any time signature depending on what kind of rhythmic basis for it one desires. It is an entirely conscious choice. For example, I recently wrote out an arrangement of Gershwin's "Summertime" in 7/8. The song works quite nicely in good 'ol 4/4, but I wanted, because I really enjoy playing in 7/8, to try something different; especially with such a familiar song. So according to you I'm guilty of what - pretentiousness? Utterly ridiculous.

This idea that there is some music in odd time signatures that is "naturally" like that and therefore ok, and other music that is "contrived" to be that way is absurd for it presupposes the naturalness of 4/4, which is most certainly not the case. (If you think for some reason to the contrary, your great musical knowledge could use some much needed injection of the basics of ethnomusicology). When Stravinsky was writing "The Rite of Spring" with its constantly shifting meters, it was a deliberate conscious act to affect a certain sound, not some quasi-mystical inspiration as you seem to suggest.

You say it's "consistently clear" that Tool does it in a contrived way. How so? Again I could care less about Tool themselves, but what basis for such a claim do you have other than your own entirely subjective understanding of the music? Perhaps you could enlighten us as to bands that use odd time signatures in an uncontrived manner...
Last edited by Incornsyucopia on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incornsyucopia
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby copower on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:34 am

still dont get it.

once somebody turned it on and i felt embarressed, i cant explain why.

it just really doesnt do it for me.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby copower on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:39 am

oh, and this doesnt have to make sense to anybody.

but when i hear people talk about why tool is so great, i'd much rather go listen to the melvins. and i consistantly think they should too.

just a feeeeeeeeelin' i guess.
copower
chris "jesus" ferguson
chris "jesus" ferguson

Postby gse on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:41 am

have seen tool a couple of times. i found that when each song started i was right into it but 5 minutes later id wished theyed stopped about 4 1/2 minutes earlier. a little too self indulgent or something. like a stoner jam. great fun if your in it, or if your stoned. boring as fuck to those who are not.
gse
gallagher
gallagher

Postby stipendlax on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 am

I worked with this guy. Everytime we were doing our closing duties, he would play Tool (don't know which album, they all sound the same to me).

He asks, "You like Tool?"

"Mehh", I reply.

"You should start listening to them, dude."

I was working the register this one time, this dude (nice guy) and his girl come to my register as they're waiting to be checked out. Off the bat he asks me what type of music I listen to. I reply with the same ol' answer

"You know, it really depends..."

when his girl interrupts and yells...

"You ever listen to TOOL?!"

"I've heard some and.."

interrupts again with...

"You should start listening to them, best band in the fucking world!"

"Cool!" I reply.

Also, I'm in a bowling class. This guy, he is a devoted Tool fan. He tries to explain to me how they use 5/4 signatures at 127 rpm and 3/4 drum beats blah blah blah, I really don't know what he said, for I was trying to knock down the fucking pins. Fast forward a few minutes. Class was over, it was time to head out. As I was walking to my car, he yells at me "HEY! DUDE COMEERE!" I didn't really think anything of it, so I walk over there. He tells me

"Check this shit out..."

He starts blasting the new album meanwhile doing the \nn/ and the I'm-pretending-I-know-how-the-drum-parts-go-so-I'm-going-to-air-drum-them-for-you technique. Again, he tries to explain to me how deep the lyrics are and all this other crap. I tell him that I've tried to listen and have never really found it appealing. He then gives me a blank stare, along with a copy of the new album. I walk to my car, throw it in the back seat, and that was that.

Long story short, I don't like Tool.

Carap
stipendlax
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby thaimanic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:25 pm

10,000 Days is an abomination, Lateralus was OK, and Maynard's lyrics have been indeed pseudointellectual, pseudo-existential, and highly pretentious post-Aenima. But Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate (part) are gems. One thing I miss about them is their sarcasm, songs like "Hooker With a Penis" and "Die Eier Von Satan" being perfect examples of that. To me it just goes to show you, once you're playing out arenas and have become, in essence, a tool of the music biz, your creative credibility hits a downward trend.
thaimanic
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Noodles on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:02 pm

I dig Tool a lot. They don't half attract some weirdos though. So not crap for listening, definitely crap for having a bunch of nutters for fans.
Noodles
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Postby ironyengine on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:56 pm

stipendlax wrote:...Long story short, I don't like Tool fans.

Carap

You're welcome.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap