KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Postby STF on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:48 am

Tuolumne wrote:
STF wrote:Californians suck.

California does not equal LA. Just sayin.

True. But most of the relocated Californians I've met everywhere are the same way - especially here in Colorado. I'm not saying Californians are all hippies, but they remind me of the way hippies will say "Right on" regardless of what you've just told them.

"My name is S___."

"Right on."

They don't listen.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby mr.arrison on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:51 am

1. CHI
2. NYC
3. LA
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby iembalm on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:55 am

Never been to New York.

I enjoyed Chicago several times a year when I lived in Milwaukee. Granted I had my little routine and didn't go off the plantation much, but I wouldn't have minded living there, I don't think.

I grew up in a town about halfway between downtown L.A. and Disneyland. I moved away twenty years ago, but still have family there. I go back every couple of years, and I can say with confidence that Los Angeles is the asshole of the Western world.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby ubercat on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 am

NYC. Capital of the World.
ubercat
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Ernest on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 pm

Never been to Chicago, LA was alright, but NYC is a hell of a place. I go fairly often, and I always have something to do and see.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Chicago people mind their own business for the most part, nobody is really interested in pretending anything or prancing around like they are a character in some shitty movie like LA.
EVERYONE in LA seems like they are mentally ill, everyone. They all seem to think they are some larger than life character that will be discovered some day and be rich and famous.
NYC I've never really explored that much, but it just felt like a gigantic Chicago kinda. The people, anyway. Just kinda doing their thing.

So
Chi
NYC

LA way down here
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby vockins on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:01 pm

fantasmatical thorr wrote:Brooklyn

... any hip neighbourhood
It's a gigantic neighborhood.

If Brooklyn had elected not to merge with the rest of New York City, it would be the fourth largest city in the United States right now.

BUt it's soooo expensive!
I often hear this from my friends outside of NYC that must own and operate motor vehicles every day in order to live.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby John George Peppers on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:09 pm

ubercat wrote:NYC. Capital of the World.

Yea, sure.

Tell that to my friends from Tokyo who one after another visit NYC and say........."We love America and NYC was fun but it's small." That really threw me off the first time I heard that.
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby chet on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:25 pm

vockins wrote:
fantasmatical thorr wrote:Brooklyn

... any hip neighbourhood
It's a gigantic neighborhood.

If Brooklyn had elected not to merge with the rest of New York City, it would be the fourth largest city in the United States right now.

BUt it's soooo expensive!
I often hear this from my friends outside of NYC that must own and operate motor vehicles every day in order to live.

Hey Vockins,

How much does it cost a month there in Brooklyn for rent/food/living expenses? Like a moderate lifestyle, nothing too excessive or poor. Im seriously thinking of moving there next year. I hear Brooklyn Heights is nice, but I dont know too much.

Thanks,

Chet
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby vockins on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:28 pm

John George Peppers wrote:

Yea, sure.

Tell that to my friends from Tokyo who one after another visit NYC and say........."We love America and NYC was fun but it's small." That really threw me off the first time I heard that.
What percentage of Tokyo's population isn't Japanese? 4%? 5%?

world capital my ass.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby John George Peppers on Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:36 pm

vockins wrote:
John George Peppers wrote:

Yea, sure.

What percentage of Tokyo's population isn't Japanese? 4%? 5%?

world capital my ass.

It's capped at .05 thats including Asians from other countries too. I wasn't implying that Tokyo was a cosmopolitan mecca. "Capital of the world" also implies size which is clearly what I was referring to with my prior post. New Yorkers get a little carried away sometimes, it's nice to see some people refer to NYC as small. That's all.

As far as the city that never sleeps thing is concerned, I can debunk that Myth. I've been in New York at 3, 4, or 5 in the morning and I can assure you New York sleeps. The sections that are somewhat active are no different from any other major city in the US.
John George Peppers

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:00 pm

John George Peppers wrote:As far as the city that never sleeps thing is concerned, I can debunk that Myth. I've been in New York at 3, 4, or 5 in the morning and I can assure you New York sleeps. The sections that are somewhat active are no different from any other major city in the US.

Chicago, she slumbers. Oh, she slumbers. She's in bed around midnight.
Marsupialized

Postby vockins on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:07 pm

chet wrote:How much does it cost a month there in Brooklyn for rent/food/living expenses? Like a moderate lifestyle, nothing too excessive or poor.
I've lived in Brooklyn for as little as as $700/month for rent/food/living expenses including a monthly train pass. This was on a Cosby Show type block in Park Slope four years ago. There were no friend/family/hookup deals in that situation. It was a shared apartment. I had my own room that no one had to walk through and a window. The room was tiny. I had to hustle to make that happen, but it happened.

I think any single person with no dependents can live nicely in NYC if they share an apartment and they are taking home $20,000/yr

When I was a first year teacher with an MA in the NYC public school system, now $45,000 gross, in 1998 it was $39K, I lived in a duplex with a yard, two legit 20x18 bedrooms, one with a 6x10 walk in closet, an eat in kitchen, a garage, and a practice space in the basement. I owned a large, disgusting 4x4, two motorcycles, and bought records. I would see bands play weekly, purchase and consume all manner of stimulants and depressants, vacation on the North Carolina coast and abroad, and would entertain various women at a number of respectable venues.

Im seriously thinking of moving there next year. I hear Brooklyn Heights is nice, but I dont know too much.
Brooklyn Heights is nice and boring. I have a baby and I don't think I'd move there. I guess if I had a carriage house or a five floor brownstone overlooking the bridge and the promenade I'd learn to suck it up.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby BClark on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:11 pm

new york was cool about 8 or so years ago. it really kind of sucks now. gentrification through the roof, the police are out of control (but that's been going on since giuliani), and the smoking ban really ended public nyc nightlife (public = bars and clubs) except for college kids and yuppies. nobody in the entertainment/owning-a-bar/owning-a-club business (at least nobody with any cultural sensibility) wants anything to do with new york unless theyre already hanging on to a long-existing establishment that has become the helpless victim of these issues (gentrification, the fact that nobody likes the smoking ban).

new york sucks and once i graduate from school this year i'm leaving forever. anyways, queensbridge doesn't churn out good rappers at the rate it used to.

but chicago must be not so great either, given that the weather is even worse than new yorks. cool music though.

LA would be great if it werent for the air pollution and traffic.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:25 pm

BClark wrote:new york was cool about 8 or so years ago. it really kind of sucks now. gentrification through the roof, the police are out of control (but that's been going on since giuliani), and the smoking ban really ended public nyc nightlife (public = bars and clubs) except for college kids and yuppies. nobody in the entertainment/owning-a-bar/owning-a-club business (at least nobody with any cultural sensibility) wants anything to do with new york unless theyre already hanging on to a long-existing establishment that has become the helpless victim of these issues (gentrification, the fact that nobody likes the smoking ban).

new york sucks and once i graduate from school this year i'm leaving forever. anyways, queensbridge doesn't churn out good rappers at the rate it used to.

but chicago must be not so great either, given that the weather is even worse than new yorks. cool music though.

LA would be great if it werent for the air pollution and traffic.

it's worldwide, man.
The nerds just took it all over a few years ago.
They slid right in and next thing you know it's illegal to not be a fucking dorky yuppie.
Marsupialized

Postby John George Peppers on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:26 pm

BClark wrote:new york was cool about 8 or so years ago. it really kind of sucks now. gentrification through the roof, the police are out of control (but that's been going on since giuliani), and the smoking ban really ended public nyc nightlife (public = bars and clubs) except for college kids and yuppies. nobody in the entertainment/owning-a-bar/owning-a-club business (at least nobody with any cultural sensibility)

This is exactly the state of affairs in Chicago right now minus the smoking ban which is months away. There is very little difference in any of the neighborhoods. All the yuppies want the neighborhoods to look the same, with the same shops, and the same food, etc......

I just like to take the piss out of New Yorkers because some of you take the city so seriously. However, I'm surprised to hear you say the same thing is happening there. It's bee a little while since I've been to NYC. I've been hearing that the upper west side has really changed.
John George Peppers

Postby The Code is Almighty on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:27 pm

Chicago, hands down. No contest. Hogbutcher to the world. I couldn't live without midwestern cynicism.

All that, and Chicago is also the most strategic city in the United States. Two major airports, one the busiest in the world. The second largest stock exchange in the US is here. The three largest railways in the US cross here. The closest the Great Lakes get to the Mississippi is here.

I enjoy living in the city most worth defending.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Postby ubercat on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:30 pm

The Code is Almighty wrote:I enjoy living in the city most worth defending.

I laughed AND pointed at the screen when I saw this.
ubercat

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:08 pm

I'd say NYC and Chicago tie for first place, with LA in a distant third.

But if you substitute San Francisco for LA, then it changes everything: my ranking would then by NYC and Chicago tied for first, with San Francisco in a distant third.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby BClark on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:17 pm

William Burroughs wrote:Chicago: invisible hierarchy of decorticated wops, smell of atrophied gangsters, earthbound ghost hits you at North and Halsted, Cicero, Lincoln Park, panhandler of dreams, past invading the present, rancid magic of slot machines and roadhouses.

Illinois and Missouri, miasma of mound-building peoples, grovelling worship of the Food Source, cruel and ugly festivals.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap