the city of brotherly love

crap
22%
not crap
78%

Total votes : 32

city: philadelphia

Postby trilonaut on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:19 pm

i've lived here all my life. sometimes i think i should go live somewhere else for a change. sometimes i don't
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:30 pm

I think you should move if you're thinking seriously about it and can line up a job in some other town.

I hated Philly when I first went there. Then over the next several times I was back, I came to love its charm. It's a shithole. But a charming shithole... to visit anyway. I could see living there getting kinda oppressive after a while. Though the absurdly cheap housing would make it easier to stay.

I would love to visit Philly again.

I think you shouldn't be afraid to move somewhere else. Even if it's only for a few years... and then you can always move back. I found that I was really down on Chicago, and couldn't wait to leave. After 3 years away, I couldn't wait to get back, and I have a whole new appreciation for it now.

Philly = NOT CRAP WF:5
Last edited by toomanyhelicopters on Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LVP wrote:If, say, 10% of lions tried to kill gazelles, compared with 10% of savannah animals in general, I think that gazelle would be a lousy racist jerk.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 pm

I've been here for the past two months, and I like it all right. It has the amenities of more heralded East Coast cities like Boston and New York, and more colleges than either. Unfortunately, the transit system is skeletal at best--and dirty, if that matters. The baseball, basketball, football, and hockey stadiums are within ten feet of each other. I might like living here if it were not cold. As it is, I am ready to go back to Chapel Hill any day now.

Also, cheesesteaks are all they are cracked up to be.

If you like subways, you will enjoy looking at this.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby matthew on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:57 pm

avoid if possible.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby same on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:40 pm

i've been thinking about philadelphia recently. mainly because it's cheap as shit to live there and cheap as shit cities usually attrack artists. is there a good community of creative types there?
same
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby matthew on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:43 pm

same wrote:i've been thinking about philadelphia recently. mainly because it's cheap as shit to live there and cheap as shit cities usually attrack artists. is there a good community of creative types there?

It's cheap as shit because people and commerce are moving OUT.......and Philadelphia wishes it had a vibrant cultural scene.

There was an article recently in the National Geographic Traveler Magazine about Philly..............it makes Philly look like an East Coast San Fran......not by a long shot in reality!
matthew

Postby slowriot on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm

i grew up in jersey about 75 miles from philly, i went to school a bit closer to philly, and i'm thuroughly convinced that it's the least appealing of the "big cities" in america.

people often disagree with me, but i am seriously yet to have an awesome time hanging out in philly. so until i do, she is crap.

and whoever said philly has more schools than boston is absolutely RETARDED.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby matthew on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:03 pm

slowriot wrote:i grew up in jersey about 75 miles from philly, i went to school a bit closer to philly, and i'm thuroughly convinced that it's the least appealing of the "big cities" in america.

people often disagree with me, but i am seriously yet to have an awesome time hanging out in philly. so until i do, she is crap.

and whoever said philly has more schools than boston is absolutely RETARDED.

Haha yessss! I totally agree with you. Philly blows......in more ways than one. It's sad since it's such an old historical city, really......

And yes, Boston has more colleges and universities than Philadelphia does. True.
matthew

Postby same on Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:38 pm

i'm sure there'll be an upswing in gentrification eventually. in a city that size and that close to new york, i think it's inevitable.
same

Postby vockins on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:49 am

Pat's Steaks: NC
Vet Stadium: was NC in it's shittiness
Yuengling: NC
Manayunk: NC
Miner St. Studio: NC
Philadelphia Museum of Art: NC
the pretzels from that place in south philly: NC
La Colombe Coffee: Jesus Christ NC. Best roasters in the US. Unbelievable.
Bobby Abreu: NC, although the Phils want to trade him for some stupid reason and Phillies fans don't seem to give a shit.
Khyber Pass: NC
Tattooed Mother: NC

Philly is NC!
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Gramsci on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:09 am

My friend Adam from back home in NZ lived there with his Phily ladyfriend for a while this year.

If anyone saw a big guy that looked like Hank Rollins with horn-rim glasses and red hair busking Bruce Springsteen songs... that was him.

Anyhoo, he said it was great, I trust him.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby ipitcher on Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:45 am

George? Colin? Either way, hi.
ipitcher
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby trilonaut on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:31 pm

george. hi ian!

um... tattooed mom's is crap.

philly isn't that cheap. at least, not like it used to be, and it's going to probably get more expensive with the recent articles in national geographic and new york times.

its music scene is iffy for such a large city, but there are a few good bands (fuck with the bull, get the horns... chromolodeon... pattern is movement... espers... stinking lizaveta, etc.). unfortunately two of them moved to brooklyn (dysrhythmia and krakatoa). from my meager experience of the visual art scene i'd say it's lacking, though anyone who passes through should try to see the tiberino house/museum, an amazingly massive magnum opus of art projecting out of every wall and ceiling. i don't even like the style or content so much as the immensity of it -- truly a life's work.

there are a lot of boston/philly comparisons:

both college towns
both sports towns
both colonial towns
both have a big blue-collar white population
philly has a larger black population
boston gets colder
philly has a large gay population
boston, i don't know
boston has a higher percentage of rich people
boston is cleaner

i hate the cold and that alone would probably stop me from living in say, boston, chicago, etc.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby scott on Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:49 pm

trilonaut wrote:i hate the cold and that alone would probably stop me from living in say, boston, chicago, etc.

Philly
Chicago

I don't know if I can even tell the difference between the worst low temps (your 24 in January vs our 18 ). Or is it some other aspect of the cold?

How about those roads in Philly! :twisted:
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby leftwing on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:55 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:It has the amenities of more heralded East Coast cities like Boston and New York, and more colleges than either.

More colleges than either? I'd like to see some evidence for that. :) I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am curious about the claim due to the fact that NY and Boston are loaded with colleges.

I was born and raised in central NJ, so I spent a fair share of time in both NYC and Philly.

My take on Philly: it has enough cultural opportunities for me (e.g., a few museums, some good colleges, and lots of rock shows), and seems quite a bit cleaner, friendlier, and more open than NYC. ... that is, if you avoid certain neighborhoods, which I am wise enough to do. NYC has more cultural opportunities, this much is uncontestable, but I don't necessarily give a crap about most of it.

The major knock on Philadelphia is that it's so close to south Jersey (i.e., NJ south of I-195) and, specifically, Camden. Bleh. Oh, and they talk funny.

The cheesesteaks are not so special. Take Steak-Umms, cut 'em up into many pieces, fry with peppers and onions, add ingredients to a good quality roll, and top with liquid cheese. It ain't fuckin' rocket science, Philadelphians! ;P

NOT CRAP :WF:2
leftwing
ensign
ensign

Postby trilonaut on Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:42 pm

i always heard chicago was cold, and the one time i was there was in the winter and it was damn cold and it happened to be unusually warm when we left from philly that winter.

philly gets very cold -- i hate that and i sometimes contemplate moving somewhere warmer -- not too warm because hot places seem to breed strip clubs, plastic surgery, shallowness and other stupidity (la and miami) but kind of warm (bay area). if chicago really is the windy city, then that's a form of cold you can't measure on a thermometer.
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Merlin on Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:52 pm

There's a lot of great food, music and art around here.

This town is fun if you're not trying too hard.
Merlin
fan
fan

Postby vockins on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:23 pm

trilonaut wrote:

Every other beer is free.

Pool is free.

Jesus man, what do you want from a bar?
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby slowriot on Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm

vockins wrote:
trilonaut wrote:

Every other beer is free.

Pool is free.

Jesus man, what do you want from a bar?

shuffleboard!
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby trilonaut on Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:26 pm

one of the only times i was in tattooed mom's, i was waiting for someone. i asked if anyone had seen a guy who looked like steve buscemi. this led to a stupid conversation in which they kept leading me into traps and making fun of me. i guess they were "cool" or something
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap