Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

the city of brotherly love

crap
22%
not crap
78%

Total votes : 32

Postby Minotaur029 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:57 pm

This city is so NC. It's just dirty as fuck. There's a good neighborhood next to a bad neighborhood next to a good neighborhood next to a bad neighborhood into infinity...kinda makes it weird that way.

Example: across from Independence Hall on one side (whichever side has the Liberty Bell) is a dirty as fuck street in a dirty ass neighborhood. Yet...there are incredible relics of clean culture right across the way. I was looking at Independence Hall and thinking about this oddity...when unexpectedly, a blast of hot, dirty, filthy air slammed into my fucking face.

The thin colonial houses that cost like a million dollars blew my mind...again, the oldest neighborhood/street in America would be right next to Dump/Poop street. Weird shit.

Also, the graves of serious ballers are strewn throughout the city in weird places...like uh...churches...(okay, not so weird). I found all sorts of names I recognized from the Declaration of Independence...James Wilson's grave sticks out in my mind. A serious revolutionary...reduced to anonymity and a pile of fucking bones.

NOT CRAP!

Also, could some real Baltimore/Philly/North Jersey/Delaware types tell me what the most serious EA-type band in Philly is? Is Stinking Lizaveta from Philadelphia? Please, please, please enlighten my black ass.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby madlee on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:This city is so NC. It's just dirty as fuck. There's a good neighborhood next to a bad neighborhood next to a good neighborhood next to a bad neighborhood into infinity...kinda makes it weird that way.

Example: across from Independence Hall on one side (whichever side has the Liberty Bell) is a dirty as fuck street in a dirty ass neighborhood. Yet...there are incredible relics of clean culture right across the way. I was looking at Independence Hall and thinking about this oddity...when unexpectedly, a blast of hot, dirty, filthy air slammed into my fucking face.

The thin colonial houses that cost like a million dollars blew my mind...again, the oldest neighborhood/street in America would be right next to Dump/Poop street. Weird shit.

Also, the graves of serious ballers are strewn throughout the city in weird places...like uh...churches...(okay, not so weird). I found all sorts of names I recognized from the Declaration of Independence...James Wilson's grave sticks out in my mind. A serious revolutionary...reduced to anonymity and a pile of fucking bones.

NOT CRAP!

Also, could some real Baltimore/Philly/North Jersey/Delaware types tell me what the most serious EA-type band in Philly is? Is Stinking Lizaveta from Philadelphia? Please, please, please enlighten my black ass.

I guess you are talking about market street, but I can't be sure. That whole neighborhood is pretty nice. the farther north you go, of course you run into the bridge area, which is kind of nasty with all the traffic, but still, it's definitely a high class area.

for the most part all that society hill and olde city are not adjacent anywhere dirty or dangerous. there are muggings around the southern end, near south street, but for the most part it's super safe.

One thing I noticed a few years ago walking home, was realizing that all the jewish grave yards are for some reason all located outside the original boundaries of the city. cute.

music scene wise, I have no idea.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby trilonaut on Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:02 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:Also, could some real Baltimore/Philly/North Jersey/Delaware types tell me what the most serious EA-type band in Philly is? Is Stinking Lizaveta from Philadelphia? Please, please, please enlighten my black ass.

lizaveta is from philly. south jersey is the part near philly (north is near ny). is your ass black?

as far as "ea type" bands, well there's technician, the "shell-like" band that is controversial on this board.

here's a random sampling of bands off the top of my head...

out, aggressive:

satanized
normal love
csection
tweeter

proggy/arty but not in a guitar mag kind of way:

make a rising
capillary action

good indie rock:

hermit thrushes
brown recluse sings
sunny day in glasgow
circles

the popular stuff:

man man
espers
fursaxa
dr. dog
bardo pond
hail social

metal:

time is like a sword
sil veth
knife the glitter
a life once lost
some of the members of dillinger escape plan

moved to new york:

dysrhythmia
krakatoa (the instrumental one, not the metal one)

broke up:

fuck with the bull get the horns
trilonaut
the white ho
the white ho

Postby madlee on Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:13 pm

this summer it has stunk bad here in philadelphia.

It seems like every other night there's a fire that I smell at night. Then on the other nights, the wind is blowing the wrong way and the smell from the river (rotting eggs etc) takes over.

tonight we have the rotten eggs smell.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby DNA Concept on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:06 am

carpe_diaz wrote:what are the goats doing now.

Oh fuck, how long has it been since I even thought about the Goats? There's always some next big thing that will "finally put Philly on the map" rap-wise, and at that moment it was Ruffhouse and the Butcher Brothers.

kerble wrote:Are you asking? Oatie and Swayzack (or Madd) are backing some singer songwriter lady from florida. the other of the three went flaky and vanished.

I had thought it was Oatie who took off -- friends ran into Swayzack some years ago and asked what had happened to the group, and Swayzack made a disgusted face and said "he up and took his wackass rhymes to California". There were rumors of drug problems as well.

Whatever happened to Rucyl Mills, their lovely singer, who went to my high school? Pierce Tiernay, the bass player, who made hoagies at the Silver Slicer on Lancaster Pike in Ardmore?

Philadelphia, the city of my birth, eating itself alive one soul at a time. I have such a mixture of love and pity and anger and horror for Philadelphia that it's hard for me to be there.
DNA Concept
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby world of pee on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:02 am

at least one of the goats was in incognegro, i believe, and one is now in black landlord.

philly's been on the map of rap (though not always for good stuff). eve, freeway, cassidy, beanie siegel, roots, fresh prince / will smith and jazzy jeff, bahamadia, schooly d, high and mighty, jedi mind tricks, last emperor, mountain brothers / chops...

?uestlove, scott storch and james poyser produce tons of albums by everybody (ok not sure about poyser).
world of pee
back door man
back door man

Postby DNA Concept on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:56 pm

world of pee wrote:philly's been on the map of rap (though not always for good stuff). eve, freeway, cassidy, beanie siegel, roots, fresh prince / will smith and jazzy jeff, bahamadia, schooly d, high and mighty, jedi mind tricks, last emperor, mountain brothers / chops...

?uestlove, scott storch and james poyser produce tons of albums by everybody (ok not sure about poyser).

There's certainly tons of great stuff coming out of Philadelphia rapwise, and there always has been. The "next big thing" sentiment I was referring to was more about jumpy high school kids wanting to claim a major-label superstar from their town, rather than an evaluation of the actual level of cultural activity.

Funny how lots of the names on your list aren't people I would associate with good career or life choices. The curse of Philly? Beanie comes off like a vicodin-addled wreck these days, a man not long for this world. I haven't heard much from Chops or High & Mighty for a minute, but perhaps I haven't been paying attention closely enough.

I've heard many stories of Jazzy Jeff and Bahamadia being incredibly generous and supportive to people they encounter, including kids just getting their start as DJs and MCs.
DNA Concept
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby madlee on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 am

brother sent me this story:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... 59519.html

about 2 blocks from where I live.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re:

Postby sawtooth on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Marsupialized wrote:'Planet Earth? Full of assholes'

edited for greater accuracy
the three-lobed burning eye
sawtooth
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Re: city: philadelphia

Postby MWilke on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

My sister lives there. Try to get out there once every year or two. It's hard not to have a fun time there, but I think the garbage, smell, and claustrophobic streets create a collective pissed off mood. If I get through the visit without someone giving me some sort of stink eye or gesture indicating an invitation for a fist fight, I'm surprised.

She does live in Fishtown, so maybe that gives me a misperception.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Red Square on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm

i visited there once for a week, i didn't like most of it...

it has a few neat things about it but not that much...but again it was for only a week and i was with family so that probably makes a huge difference...

and yeah, it's hella' dirty...dirty like i've never seen anywhere else...

and maybe it's just me but everywhere i went the women looked the same...right in the face...and not pretty...i thought that was decidedly creepy...

i want to crap on this but it's got some good things, i wish i had gone to the Mutter Museum had i known about it at the time...
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby var on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I've been living in center city for the past 5 years, just signed a lease on an apartment out in the burbs to get closer to work and I'll be damned if the change in address alone is going to save me close to $800/month. Between not having to pay city wage tax, parking, lower rent/utilities, and my car insurance was cut in half...

I love Philly and all, but god damn, I should have moved away sooner.
var
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 pm

I grew up there and it's one of the few American cities I can still stand. Bonus points for remaining infinitely cheaper and for retaining far more neighborhood character and grit than much of NYC at this point in time. I still visit from time to time, and I remain suitably impressed w/the place. I love the fact that so many people from NYC, Boston, and DC tend to disparage Philly and paint it as an armpit of sorts; keeps the idiots out, I would imagine. Even the "gentrified" parts of Fishtown, the Northern Liberties, and Passyunk aren't one-quarter as appalling as Brooklyn Lifestyle, Inc. up here. The mush-mouthed local accent is music to my ears, and there's a real-deal East Coast in-your-faceness alive in Philly that has been slowly withering in other cities. It feels very regional and not so homogenized. Still easy to find a decent cup of coffee for a little more than a dollar, to boot.

So, for your architecture, craft beer, history, Museum of Art, Mütter Museum, wonderful restaurants, BYO culture, low rents, Chinatown, I. Goldberg Army & Navy, and overall bizarre vibe, you are very much not crap, Philadelphia. (Waffles for blue laws that keep the liquor stores poorly stocked; the grinding poverty in parts of North, West, and South Philly; the near-complete lack of viable job opportunities; and the slow decay of the Philadelphia Record Exchange. Still if you can make it work for you, it's a damn cool place to reside.)

var wrote:I've been living in center city for the past 5 years, just signed a lease on an apartment out in the burbs to get closer to work and I'll be damned if the change in address alone is going to save me close to $800/month. Between not having to pay city wage tax, parking, lower rent/utilities, and my car insurance was cut in half...

I love Philly and all, but god damn, I should have moved away sooner.

This is pretty much the case w/most city-vs.-suburbs scenarios, though. Although it's particularly bad in Philadelphia b/c there are so few jobs right there in town.

So you were reverse commuting to Montgomery, Chester, or Bucks County for work? It's a real shame. I left town 20 years ago and urbanites working in the suburbs was already way too common a phenomenon.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby var on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:This is pretty much the case w/most city-vs.-suburbs scenarios, though. Although it's particularly bad in Philadelphia b/c there are so few jobs right there in town.

So you were reverse commuting to Montgomery, Chester, or Bucks County for work? It's a real shame. I left town 20 years ago and urbanites working in the suburbs was already way too common a phenomenon.

Yea, when I first moved into the city I was working in a building across the street from City Hall. For the past 2 years I've been commuting out to King of Prussia on I-76 every day (ugh). Moving to Montgomery County in 2 weeks, so I'll still be a 10-15 min train ride from Suburban Station.
var
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby gjp on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Stayed in Philly for a couple of days during our winter tour last year. Loved it. Went to some great record stores, the art museum, ate some good ass food in Chinatown. Our show wasn't so good, but still...

Not crap.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby madlee on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:29 pm

This happened last Thursday:

http://www.delawareriverwaterfront.com/ ... and-local1

It was beautiful out, there was good locally brewed free beer and the music was great.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby atomjackfuser on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 pm

atomjackfuser
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 pm

From where I live, Philly is a 40 minute car ride down I-95. Getting to Manhatten is a hellish hour and a half, if there is no traffic at the GW Bridge, Holland Tunnel or Lincoln Tunnel, which is almost never.

So I go to philly a lot now. Great restaurants, decent clubs, parking not such a hassle. Yeah it is dirty. I like that, it reminds me of New York in the 80s when it was interesting. When a good friend of mine was moving to NY in 1986 or so, she said, "you just have to be enamored of the filth" And I get that. So philly is OK. I also like that it is not overrun by people from everywhere else, like New York and Boston are. Philly is full of Philly people, like them or not, it's their goddam city.

Don't know if I could live there. I'm kind of a country mouse now. I like my house.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby Verge of Light on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:49 pm

I grew up in the Denver, CO area and then lived in Philly for 14 years. I've lived in Portland, OR for three years now.

I prefer living in Portland but there are several things I miss about Philadelphia very much (in no particular order):

- Good to mind-blowing pizza everywhere with slices I can eat NOW

- http://icaphila.org/ - the best free art space I've ever been to

- Wawa (Philly convenience store chain - far superior to 7-11)

- 8 out of 10 touring bands stop in Philly every time

- Very few "urban campers"

- The Mütter Museum

- The Philadelphia Museum of Art

- Proximity to NYC, Baltimore and DC. I am seriously stupid for not going to the DC area museums and zoo more often. They're really amazing.

- The utter lack of pretension of most Philly folks

- Urban decay if you want it (and nice neighborhoods too if that appeals to you)

So, I kinda miss youse Philly. Not crap.
Verge of Light
andy warhol
andy warhol

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap