Band: The Breeders

Crap
9%
Not Crap
91%

Total votes : 202

Re: Band: The Breeders

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:41 pm

For buds seeing the Chicago show in a few weeks - they'll be playing BOTH Last Splash and all of Pod. Get stoked.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Speedie on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:17 pm

A resounding Not Crap. The show at the PRF BBQ OZ ATPs was simply awesome. Last Splash!

(this was helped by the company of my esteemed colleagues Dovey, The Canadian, and Skewer of course.)

Kim really looked like she was having fun, such a change from the last Pixies shows.
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby mattw on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:26 pm

I totally want to see them now (as if I didn't before)

Breeders Live >The Shitty Pixies Live
mattw

Postby JeffP on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:24 am

mattw wrote:I totally want to see them now (as if I didn't before)

Also, Breeders > The good Pixies live.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby Zorg on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 am

JeffP wrote:

I like the Breeders. I own all the records, have seen them live a number of times. It is however preposterous to say that they are a killer live band. First off, they have a rotating line-up with variable quality. Secondly, Kim went through a considerably broad patch of substance abuse that affected her performances. The Pixies however were a very solid and practiced live band, with good players, and none of the endearing sloppiness of the Breeders. Neither band puts on a "show", but the Pixies easily run circles around the Breeders on a stage, to say otherwise is just unrealistic pandering. That said, I didn't see either reunion show this year, though m'lady said the Breeders at Pitchfork was a mess.
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:46 am

A dog wiping it's ass on the ground would scoot circles around the Pixies on stage
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Zorg on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Marsupialized wrote:A dog wiping it's ass on the ground would scoot circles around the Pixies on stage

I don't understand this comment. Their songs are fairly simple rock songs, they play them as they are on the records with little flourish or affectation. You can not like the music, but where is the problem with the perfomance?
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:31 pm

I saw them 3 times since they started back up and it's boring as fuck every time. They stand there and play the songs, all but yawning. I have seen the Breeders maybe 6 times in my life and had fun and enjoyed it every time and there were lots of smiles on stage and laughs between songs.
Marsupialized

Postby Zorg on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I saw them 3 times since they started back up and it's boring as fuck every time. They stand there and play the songs, all but yawning. I have seen the Breeders maybe 6 times in my life and had fun and enjoyed it every time and there were lots of smiles on stage and laughs between songs.

Got it. Not enough smiles.
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby JeffP on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 pm

Zorg wrote:
JeffP wrote:

I like the Breeders. I own all the records, have seen them live a number of times. It is however preposterous to say that they are a killer live band. First off, they have a rotating line-up with variable quality. Secondly, Kim went through a considerably broad patch of substance abuse that affected her performances. The Pixies however were a very solid and practiced live band, with good players, and none of the endearing sloppiness of the Breeders. Neither band puts on a "show", but the Pixies easily run circles around the Breeders on a stage, to say otherwise is just unrealistic pandering. That said, I didn't see either reunion show this year, though m'lady said the Breeders at Pitchfork was a mess.

Having seen both bands multiple times, I stand by my original statement.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Zorg wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:I saw them 3 times since they started back up and it's boring as fuck every time. They stand there and play the songs, all but yawning. I have seen the Breeders maybe 6 times in my life and had fun and enjoyed it every time and there were lots of smiles on stage and laughs between songs.

Joy, fun, rock, good times, fuck am I at a rock concert for?
Marsupialized

Postby AdamN on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Last edited by AdamN on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamN
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Zorg wrote:

Joy, fun, rock, good times, fuck am I at a rock concert for?

Yeah, I need some joy in my rock. I can understand the cerebral stuff, I get it, but life is super fucking short. I want to see human beings FEELING IT up there. Make me believe that you give a shit, basically.

Smiling is the tell, if you ask me. You can't control a smile if it's a real one. I want to see more of that at every show!
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:54 pm

There's boring and there's not boring, if I have to explain that I don't know
Marsupialized

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Um, the Pixies are a terrible live band. It would be one thing if they stood there joylessly running through their songs (once in a while, a band can get away with that). But they don't even execute well. They not only look dead, but the songs sound dead.

My feelings about the Breeders far outdistancing the Pixies are well documented.

Frank Black is kind of a drag and more than a bit overrated, though I do dig a fair amount of the Pixies' albums.

Every Breeders album is aces, and they were great when I saw them play.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby tallchris on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:09 pm

The Breeders were a bit of a mess at Pitchfork, but in the most charming way possible. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a super Pro Gear, Pro Attitude set from them. I wanted to see the Deal sisters crack wise, plays some great songs, and have a good time. It felt much more intimate than some big-ass festival show should have felt.

Just bought my tickets for the Metro show so I can cry again in public when they play "Do You Love Me Now?" and "Oh!".
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Attitude is important. If a band is bored, or somebody doesn't want to be there for whatever reason, you fucking KNOW.
Anthony Flack

Postby mr.arrison on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:09 pm

I go to see bands enjoy themselves and want to perform. They don't have to love their audience, but a smile every now and then, or *some* kind of passion is appreciated.

Frank Black is boring as fuck to watch live. I've seen the Pixies twice, in 1989 and then in 2005 - both times it was a letdown, thanks to him. Frank *used to have* a great scream - lately it's just a 2.5-cylinder whimper. He always looks like he's dialing it in. The studio really favored him, cuz live he blows.

Kim Deal has always been the exact opposite when she performs with the Breeders. Excited, happy to be on stage, intense and really putting in the work. Same with the rest of the band, to a slightly lesser degree.
mr.arrison
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby JeffP on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:44 am

I saw the Pixies on the Trompe tour and early in the reunion. Both shows were fine and enjoyable. They played well enough, but it was basically just a live version of the recorded songs.

I've seen the Breeders a bunch, mostly during the Last Splash era but also very recently. Like the Pixies, they basically play the recorded versions and don't change things up. But somehow their songs gain power on stage and become even more badass than the recorded versions. Their happiness on stage vs. the Pixies detachment surely contributes to this.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby madmanmunt on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Kim Deal was non-stop Cheshire Cat when I saw the Pixies (first reunion tour).

The Breeders was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap