Band: The Breeders

Crap
9%
Not Crap
91%

Total votes : 198

Re: Band: The Breeders

Postby Zorg on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:29 am

madmanmunt wrote:The Breeders was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen.

:shock:
I have no idea what kind of Breeders shows you people are seeing. I will accept that I have missed something along the way. What I have seen, more than once, is a shambling and charming mess inclusive of false starts, missed notes, and tangential chatter. I enjoyed myself, and the Kim is great, but it was really amateurish, which is part of the reason to like it, sure. At certain point, however, musicianship and showmanship play a role in my enjoyment of a rock show. The Breeders walk a fine line in that regard.
Zorg
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby JeffP on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:09 am

Zorg wrote:
madmanmunt wrote:The Breeders was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen.

:shock:
I have no idea what kind of Breeders shows you people are seeing. I will accept that I have missed something along the way. What I have seen, more than once, is a shambling and charming mess inclusive of false starts, missed notes, and tangential chatter. I enjoyed myself, and the Kim is great, but it was really amateurish, which is part of the reason to like it, sure. At certain point, however, musicianship and showmanship play a role in my enjoyment of a rock show. The Breeders walk a fine line in that regard.

Jim McPherson and Josephine Wiggs are excellent players. Kim is a good rhythm guitarist, excellent songwriter, and has one of the most distinctive singing voices ever in any genre. Kelly is still a terrible lead player, but has become competent as a rhythm guitarist. As a unit and as individuals, they know when to play loud, soft, fast, slow, a lot of notes, or nothing at all (I wish more bands would learn this). That checks off more than enough boxes to meet my musicianship criteria.

The tangential chatter is their showmanship. They're no Alice Cooper or Kiss, granted, but I'm thankful for that.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby He'sTheUncle on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:31 pm

Agreed on all points, Jeff, except: have you seen the Last Splash anniversary shows? It's taken 20 years, but Kelley is nailing it all, including Tanya Donnelly's weird Pod parts. She's playing the parts exactly as they are on the albums, which is to say exactly as Kim intended.

I'd say Kim messes up more frequently, which I chalk up to nerves. MacPherson and Wiggs are stellar. I'll be at both shows in NYC later this month, where I hope to pick up this shirt:

He'sTheUncle
sister
sister

Postby JeffP on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

He'sTheUncle wrote:Agreed on all points, Jeff, except: have you seen the Last Splash anniversary shows? It's taken 20 years, but Kelley is nailing it all, including Tanya Donnelly's weird Pod parts. She's playing the parts exactly as they are on the albums, which is to say exactly as Kim intended.

I saw them in Atlanta this year. Kelly was fudging things noticably on a few songs, but terrible is an overstatement. To be fair, she seemed more confident overall than she used to be, and actually was very good on some of the lead playing, sucj as on No Aloha. Her mistakes were mostly at the beginning of the set. Probably just needed to warm up.
JeffP
pryor
pryor

Postby monotremata on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:15 pm

He'sTheUncle wrote:Agreed on all points, Jeff, except: have you seen the Last Splash anniversary shows? It's taken 20 years, but Kelley is nailing it all, including Tanya Donnelly's weird Pod parts. She's playing the parts exactly as they are on the albums, which is to say exactly as Kim intended.

I was gonna say.. There was none of that in Santa Cruz at all. That was one of the best shows Ive ever seen. We walked in during New Year so missed the very beginning but, Last Splash from start to finish was dead on. And it wouldnt have been a Breeders show without the Deal's banter in between songs. Was pretty much perfect and worth every bit of the trip.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Major on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:39 am

Tickets purchased for New Orleans. Fuck yes.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby iamthepinkylifter on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Not crap.

I'm actually not a huge breeders fan, but I understand why other people love them.
iamthepinkylifter
fan
fan

Postby John Turbo on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:40 pm

new Kim Deal solo single 'The Root':-
http://www.kimdealmusic.com/
John Turbo
intestine
intestine

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:24 am

Mentioned this on FB the other day, but it bears repeating...

As far as I'm concerned, of all the bands that got any real play on MTV at the time Last Splash came out, in hindsight none of them have aged as well as The Breeders. And most of the bands that were popular then don't even come close.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby samizdat on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 am

I met Kim and Kelley's mother at a teaching conference in the early aughts. Born an old man, I hit it off with the old ladies more than people my own age as we spent the afternoon small-grouping about positive reinforcement and greeting students with a handshake. I ended up out to dinner at The Montgomery Inn Boathouse with a group of Christmas-sweater wearing grandma elementary school teachers.

I sat down at the booth and started in talking to the kindest of the bunch. There were pleasantries. Then she asked me, "When you're not teaching, what do you like to do with yourself?" I told her I liked music.

"Well, if you like music, maybe you have heard of my daughters," she said.

I was expecting her to tell me her daughters were in The Psychodots or something.

Nope.

"My daughters are Kim and Kelley Deal."

I fell out of the booth and the old school marms emptied a pitcher of ice water on my head in order to revive me.

Definitely not crap.
I do not want to choose between
the right and wrong sides of the world,
and I do not like a choice to be made.—Albert Camus
samizdat
district attourney
district attourney

Postby J_Temperance on Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:01 am

BUMP.

Been rocking out to (or more accurately smoking up and falling asleep to) Mountain Battlesa lot recently. Such a great, creative album! I'd even go so far as to say it's my favorite Breeders experience, if only Pod wasn't such an endless parade of straight up hits...

Breeders NOT CRAP, obviously. They took that slightly spooky thing going on in the first 3 Pixies releases and just ran the fuck away with it...definitely the best night time lullaby rock music along with the Young Marble Giants.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Janeway on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:59 pm

J_Temperance wrote:my favorite Breeders experience

mine's this
phpBB [media]

J_Temperance wrote:...definitely the best night time lullaby rock music along with the Young Marble Giants.

i like kelley deal's band for falling asleep, the kelley deal 6000, particularly boom boom boom, esp this one and this one
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby M.H on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I might be edging towards a crap vote. Their music has not held up well for me, unlike those first three Pixies records. This is the opposite of how I felt when I was in my teens and getting into these records for the first time.

What used to sound charmingly scrappy seems kinda sloppy and half-assed. And Last Splash doesn't sound much better (or less gimmicky) than Frank Black's hit and mostly-miss solo stuff.

Yeah, CRAP.
M.H
mo udall
mo udall

Postby monotremata on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:57 pm

^ This is just crazy talk!!!!
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby honeyisfunny on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:19 am

Kim Deal is a sonic genius - the decision making that goes into Breeders records blows me away, she just has the best ear.
Tape Op needs to do a lengthy interview with Kim about some of the more "abstract" elements to record-making that she seems to get right every time and lots of people don't even consider or consider as important.
Examples - Jo Wiggs slides to the wrong note on one take of Cannonball in the intro but that's the take they go with. Now it sounds right but we have the benefit of not being in that moment and having to make that call and Kim did.
The weird chord in the choruses to Tipp City by The Amps - one of the 4 chorus chords is bent way out of shape like someone left the pick in the guitar strings or something but it makes that song sound the way it does (and when they play it live its not replicated).
Switching the slow and fast parts to New Year - the demo has the fast part first but switching it makes it sound so much better. Again, that ability to step back from your own idea and see what's best for it is rare.
There's thousands more. Of course she sings like an angel and writes amazing songs but her genius as a producer/sonic-decision-maker often gets overlooked.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby steve on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:15 am

honeyisfunny wrote:Kim Deal is a sonic genius - the decision making that goes into Breeders records blows me away, she just has the best ear...

...Of course she sings like an angel and writes amazing songs but her genius as a producer/sonic-decision-maker often gets overlooked.

I cosign all of this. I have worked with a lot of people, none of them can hear every little thing and know what it means like her. She listens through the sound to the thing behind the sound, and she is relentless in trying to make if mean something to her.

Absolutely the best at it.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bdm on Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:19 pm

I will always love The Breeders. It's impossible for me to be objective about Kim Deal. I grew up on the Pixies and Last Splash will always hold a very special place in my heart. I adore every little weird bit of that record. It's a perfect blend of poppy and weird. And to top it off Kim has one of my favorite voices in recorded music.
bdm
carter family
carter family

Postby Johnny C on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Listened to every Breeders record in order on Thursday last week.

Good fucking band.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Johnny C on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:57 pm

The last record of theirs was pretty good! I bet the new one is gonna be good too! Goddamn!
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby NewDarkAge on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Every Breeders album is great, but Kim Deal is the kind of songwriter who doesn't seem to really rule anything out beforehand aesthetically, so there's always gonna be a few numbers that work for some people and don't work for others, as well as some flat out heavenly pop hits like 'Cannonball' or 'Son of Three'.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap