no.gif

no.gif
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Band: YES

Postby Redline on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 am

Rick Wakemans speech for Yes being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was almost as good as the Alex Lifeson speech.

Rick Wakeman said:
Does this thing go up? [Points to mic] Story of my life. [Laughter] Ah, forget it. I'm very happy here for a couple of reasons, to be inducted. One is the fact, obviously to be a part of Yes and getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the other is something I really probably shouldn't tell you is that, less than half a mile away from this very building is where I had my very first meaningful sexual experience. [Applause] No. No. No. Please. It wasn't very good. [Laughter] Anyway, as Steve said a thank you to his wife, I will say a thank you to mine. Unfortunately, she's not here tonight. When I left her this morning, I think she was in a coma actually… the sex was still the same but the washing was piling up.
I'd like to thank, apart from all the guys in Yes that I work with, my father, who played a massive part in my career. Like my family, we were all in the entertainment business. We generally were very, very poor. My father was an Elvis impersonator. But there wasn't much call for that in 1947. [Laughter] He taught me a lot. I remember he sat me down once, he said, "Son," he said, "Don't go to any of those really cheap, dirty, nasty, sleazy strip clubs because if you do, you'll see something you shouldn't." So, of course I went. And I saw my dad. [Laughter]
I'd like to thank the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame very much for inducting Yes. The only thing I would say, I'm glad that we're actually out third because as you get older, the old things like the prostate start acting up a bit. What I would like to say quite seriously is how important it is to have the odd examination, which I had indeed on Monday. You ladies, you don't know, it's really tough. You have to get in the old fetal position, you hear the old plastic glove go off or the rubber glove. And then it's like the gopher going on holiday inside. Whilst I was having my examination, the doctor said to me, he said, "Mr. Wakeman, there's no need to be embarrassed. It's not unusual to get an erection with this kind of procedure." I said, "I haven't got an erection." He said, "I know, but I have."
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bernardo on Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Redline wrote:Rick Wakemans speech for Yes being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was almost as good as the Alex Lifeson speech.

Rick Wakeman said:
Does this thing go up? [Points to mic] Story of my life. [Laughter] Ah, forget it. I'm very happy here for a couple of reasons, to be inducted. One is the fact, obviously to be a part of Yes and getting inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the other is something I really probably shouldn't tell you is that, less than half a mile away from this very building is where I had my very first meaningful sexual experience. [Applause] No. No. No. Please. It wasn't very good. [Laughter] Anyway, as Steve said a thank you to his wife, I will say a thank you to mine. Unfortunately, she's not here tonight. When I left her this morning, I think she was in a coma actually… the sex was still the same but the washing was piling up.
I'd like to thank, apart from all the guys in Yes that I work with, my father, who played a massive part in my career. Like my family, we were all in the entertainment business. We generally were very, very poor. My father was an Elvis impersonator. But there wasn't much call for that in 1947. [Laughter] He taught me a lot. I remember he sat me down once, he said, "Son," he said, "Don't go to any of those really cheap, dirty, nasty, sleazy strip clubs because if you do, you'll see something you shouldn't." So, of course I went. And I saw my dad. [Laughter]
I'd like to thank the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame very much for inducting Yes. The only thing I would say, I'm glad that we're actually out third because as you get older, the old things like the prostate start acting up a bit. What I would like to say quite seriously is how important it is to have the odd examination, which I had indeed on Monday. You ladies, you don't know, it's really tough. You have to get in the old fetal position, you hear the old plastic glove go off or the rubber glove. And then it's like the gopher going on holiday inside. Whilst I was having my examination, the doctor said to me, he said, "Mr. Wakeman, there's no need to be embarrassed. It's not unusual to get an erection with this kind of procedure." I said, "I haven't got an erection." He said, "I know, but I have."

Is there a vídeo?
I used to play guitar for Elma and Buistra, and bass for Are You God?.
More recently did these:
Vermes do Limbo + Bernardo Pacheco /-/ Berna And The Gangstas
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Redline on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Is there a vídeo?
Improved
phpBB [media]
Last edited by Redline on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline

Postby Parbuckle on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Goddamn, I really want to hate Rick Wakeman. He's a Tory wanker and he's made a shedload of crappy music. But he always seem to come across as funny and likeable. I hate it when that happens.

Anyway, Yes are NOT CRAP. They made two good albums, then three great ones, then another three pretty good ones. Then the 80s happened, but never mind.

bishopdante wrote:no

Waffles with that, bish?
Janeway wrote:Hello, computers are for nerds.
Parbuckle
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

Parbuckle wrote:Goddamn, I really want to hate Rick Wakeman. He's a Tory wanker and he's made a shedload of crappy music. But he always seem to come across as funny and likeable. I hate it when that happens.

He also makes regular appearances in dictionary corner on "Countdown", which is almost enough to make me to modify my Crap vote with a WF of 1 - but not quite.
There's two Neil Youngs. Two of them. There's two now.
Heaven is in your beard
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby Redline on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:38 pm

New Chris with Bill HOTS
phpBB [media]
Redline

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Relayer is a very good record. Definitely my favorite Yes album these days.

I wish they'd had the time to make another record in that vein with Patrick Moraz, because they said they had enough material left over to make practically another album then. The material was apparently even more demanding and out there than what made Relayer.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:09 pm

SecondEdition wrote:Relayer is a very good record. Definitely my favorite Yes album these days.

I wish they'd had the time to make another record in that vein with Patrick Moraz, because they said they had enough material left over to make practically another album then. The material was apparently even more demanding and out there than what made Relayer.

Yup. To Be Over is the ultimate sleeper in the Yes catalog.

New footage has been found of the notoriously underrated first version of Yes, and it proves how they could slay and melt faces in a live setting...
phpBB [media]
Redline

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Redline wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:Relayer is a very good record. Definitely my favorite Yes album these days.

Yup. To Be Over is the ultimate sleeper in the Yes catalog.

New footage has been found of the notoriously underrated first version of Yes, and it proves how they could slay and melt faces in a live setting...
phpBB [media]

Got damn, that's great.
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
the white ho
the white ho

Postby sulfur)addict on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:20 pm

Yeah, I don't like Yes very much, but that sounds great. Like a hippie version of The Who.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby kokorodoko on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:05 pm

My thoughts hearing Yes: "Oh, this was quirky. How novel. Next song."
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
kokorodoko
tunnel
tunnel

Postby Sprague Dawley on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 pm

cannot abide that noodly prog shit thats meandering all over the shop.

give me boring monotonous steady munt any day.

CRAP
Sprague Dawley
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby Redline on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 am

My thoughts hearing Yes: "Oh, this was quirky. How novel. I can't wait until the next song."
Redline

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:27 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:Yeah, I don't like Yes very much, but that sounds great. Like a hippie version of The Who.

It kind of does, if The Who had no songwriting ability.
Anthony Flack

Postby sulfur)addict on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 am

Anthony Flack wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:Yeah, I don't like Yes very much, but that sounds great. Like a hippie version of The Who.

It kind of does, if The Who had no songwriting ability.

Yes, I know Yes cannot write a tune to save their life.

I was listening to their debut after Redline posted that - never checked out that far back! - and it's neat. Anderson literally never adds any color to his voice, he's always detached and high and tuneful, so the band careens around him, fitting in as much amped up 60's rock that they possibly can before he gets to the next line. There's too many hippie acoustic parts to make me want to listen to it again in full, but I see that they have a BBC Sessions from their first run, I'll be sure to check that out.

Turned on their second album, too, but only made it thru the first two songs before I had to turn it off. Yech, the orchestral parts were gross and the songs aren't all there.

Yes - CRAP, WF 3 (potentially 4?) for that live video, the climax in that Vincent Gallo movie, and a couple of well-arranged covers.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby jtyler on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 am

I liked them a lot when I was younger. My stepdad is a huge fan, has seen them more than any other band throughout the decades. When I was learning to play bass, he always told me that Yes songs were the way to go, so I always liked Chris Squire's playing. I even saw them a few years ago before he passed away, maybe when I was 20 or 21.

They've not held up well for me. The instrumentation is nearly peerless, but the songwriting is inconsistent and, like Geddy Lee, I think Jon Anderson is insufferable as a vocalist/lyricist. Most prog-rock really hasn't held up well for me, aside from King Crimson or CAN (if you count them as prog). These days it's a no.
I sing and play bass in a band called Dori.
jtyler
useless piece of shit
useless piece of shit

Postby Redline on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm

sulfur )addict wrote:
Turned on their second album, too, but only made it thru the first two songs before I had to turn it off

Yeah, Time and a Word isn't that good, but Astral Traveler was a great prototype for The Yes Album, the first Yes lp I listened to over and over.
phpBB [media]
And lol pissed-off Steve Howe who wasn't on the lp (it was Peter Banks), then the U.S. lp had his picture on it and he had to make the video, salty Steve...
Redline

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap