Whether it's you or someone else...

CRAP
76%
NOT CRAP
24%

Total votes : 151

Re: Habit: smoking

Postby ERawk on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Quit almost a year and a half ago. When I smoked, I loved it. I stopped because I didn't feel like smoking anymore; the love was gone. I was cutting back prior to quitting anyway so going cold turkey wasn't hard. Actually, all of my other attempts were cold turkey. This is the only time where I haven't had those "Man, I could use a smoke right now" thoughts in my head and proceed to bum.

The only cheat puff I've had was a cigar over the summer (sometimes, you gotta take one for the team). Other than that, it's been second hand for me.

I normally don't care if other people choose to smoke though I do pester Col. a bit about smoking (mostly for the cost). I didn't care about cigarette smoke in venues or bars but I do admit that as I get older and less acclimated to smoke inside, I've become a little less tolerant of it.

Don't worry, I'll watch your drinks.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Kayte on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:58 pm

ERawk wrote:Don't worry, I'll watch your drinks.

You are an angel for this Eliza. I don't know how many drinks I've had you watch, and probably less than half the time do I end up roofie'd. Merci beaucoup.
Kayte
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby sack of smashed assholes on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:27 pm

I like smoking, it has it's place, but I'm not addicted to smoking.
smoking weed is way more fun.
Dr. Venkman wrote:How do I spell "Quality?" sackofsmashedassholes, that's how

Sinking Suns
sack of smashed assholes
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:03 am

busbus wrote:I'm going to give this quitting smoking thing another chance. My currently flu ridden body is begging me to stop.

Same here
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:28 am

busbus wrote:I'm going to give this quitting smoking thing another chance. My currently flu ridden body is begging me to stop.

I still smoked in my flu-ridden body. Hate smoking. Absolutely hate it, but I am full-on addicted. It has gotten to the point where it isn't pleasurable, but, I. have. to. do. it. I tried limiting my smoking to the back porch, but I ended up finding myself smoking on the back porch just as much as I smoked inside my house. It's pathetic.

I need help.

And American Spirits suck. Shit smokes too slow and heavy.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby a-mat on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:33 am

Last edited by a-mat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a-mat
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 am

a-mat wrote:I smoke like a pack a day and was supposed to quit on my bday the 16th but that was the same day I bought my friend a carton in exchange for all these records of his I bought plus the Ukulele he gave me so now we're on the last pack and we're both thinking about quitting.

cute brah.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby wolfman on Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 am

Smoked for 20 years, sucks ass, never going back. I quit 8 months ago thanks to this guy, hey it worked for me.)

http://www.maxkirsten.com/iphone/quitsmoking/index.asp
"Kicking ass all the time"
wolfman
ensign
ensign

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:23 am

I can take it or leave it. I like smoking though. haven't been doing it much except we smoked like trains when we were recording. some cigarettes are better than others: the one after you have a big dinner, the one you have during a break in band practice, or the one where you've just finished a major task. I don't miss the other ones.

lately we have nicotine gum around. it's not the same but I like it. you're supposed to use it to quit, but I can't really find anything about it that's going to kill me. it's cheaper than cigarettes in Chicago, though that's not saying much. heroin is probably cheaper now too.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby B_M_L on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:53 am

This is what I said way way back....

by B_M_L on Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:26 am

I like smoking...

I don't think I have ever been an asshat smoker either. I always go outdoors if I'm at somebody elses home (even my own house), I ask if anybody at my table at the pub minds, I don't blow smoke at people...

It makes me sad that y'all hate me for the last decent habit I have. Twats. Leave me alone.

I still like smoking

I like the first one of the day – I sit and have a coffee and a cigarette. Normally I sit outside and it’s the quietest part of the day.

I also like having one after I’ve been hiking or walking. You stop for a rest break and light up and have a drink and look at the view. It tastes good and it feels good to have a gentle rush of nicotine through your bloodstream.

They’re my favourites.

My smoking is an issue with my girlfriend though – she really hates it, her dad has had poor health because of his smoking, and she would really like me to quit - it’s got the point where she finds it quite upsetting to see me, she’s not naggy or anything but I can see she’s doing her best not to bring it up.

And I don’t like to feel addicted – which I most definitely am.

So I’m quitting this week.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mose Varty-Seppanen on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:40 pm

H-GM wrote:
Hate smoking. Absolutely hate it, but I am full-on addicted. It has gotten to the point where it isn't pleasurable, but, I. have. to. do. it. I tried limiting my smoking to the back porch, but I ended up finding myself smoking on the back porch just as much as I smoked inside my house. It's pathetic.

I need help.

I can recommend this Allen Carr book. It helps if you want to quit.
http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616

It's sort of a crappy book but it worked for me and a bunch of my friends as well as my totally hardcore smoker two heart attacks Dad.

Smoking is not crap when you're in the enjoying it phase. Cigarettes would be cool if you could just smoke a couple a day with coffee but in my experience that is more or less impossible. The spiralling addiction thing where you feel like a slave to the habit = Crap
Mose Varty-Seppanen
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby Model Citizen on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:52 pm

B_M_L wrote:My smoking is an issue with my girlfriend though – she really hates it, her dad has had poor health because of his smoking

That's one of the main reasons I gave up a few years ago (though I've had a few lapses here and there), good luck!
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Frank Decent on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:42 am

I think you should abstain from smoking until you're 60.

If you make it that far, fuck it. Smoke like a banshee!
Redline wrote:The dead bodies on your mattress and the rubber sheets in your wardrobe should dampen the early reflections.
Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Trad on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Just got back from Urgent Care for a minor asthma attack due to chest bullshit from the flu. Nebulizer inhaled, check. Prednisone ingested and prescribed, check. Vapodoc fired up next to my favorite chair, check.

Yep, I got to try quitting cigs again, really bad. I don't want no hip mounted oxygen tank in my fifties. I got to be healthy for my kids.
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Charlie D on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:41 am

Been struggling for about six, seven, maybe eight months with the quitting. The reason I wanted to quit was completely ridiculous in the first place: I found myself watching a lot of House M.D. and the internal shots of all the weird shit inside people's bodies that were making them sick with each week's mystery illness were completely gross.
I had a real good stretch of about two months, then I'd buy a loosie from the bodega, then I'd go for the three for a dollar deal, then I'd stop again for a while, then I'd pick another up. Just went two days without one, as a matter of fact, but I picked up a few again because I haven't had a day off in a month (Boo hoo, right?) and I have a cross country relocation that's getting closer by the day to try to organize and execute. I almost feel like I should go to the "Lies You Tell Yourself" thread and post "I'll quit once I get to Philly", because I know that'll turn into "I'll quit once I get settled in" and from there it'll turn into "I'll quit on my birthday".
A while back, Ringo bet me five bucks I'd be smoking a pack a day by Xmas. That's seriously the only thing keeping me from smoking any more than a few here and there, 'cause I aint sending that motherfucker a check for shit.
Charlie D
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Location: Whittier Neighborhood, Powderhorn Community, Minneapolis, MN

Postby Andy Est En Feu on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:40 pm

I do hate smoking. But I'm more concerned with the ecological problems that participants of such an affectation are contributing to.
Andy Est En Feu
lardner
lardner

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I have grown to dislike being a slave to a habit that does not make me high.
The problem is, I like people who smoke too much. I just like people who smoke much more than people who do not. Not because they smoke, it's just the type of person who smokes, I guess. Party people. My kind of people. Non smokers give a shit about their bills and credit and shit. Not my bag.
Like, ok. I was at a show at the bottle once maybe a year ago, talking to some PRF'rs outside while smoking. Some insane and from what I remember, fairly attractive woman who was also smoking walks up and grabs a big handful of my balls and jams her tongue down my throat for no reason whatsoever. She mumbled some sex shit to all of us and then walked off. Might have shown us all her tits, don't rememeber. Probably made out with someone else from here on the way back in.
Did not really phase anyone, we just went laughed and then went back to talking.
I have found that sort of thing rarely, if ever, happens at places where non smokers congregate together to hang out and not smoke.
I can't give that shit up, man. I love standing outside of shows and conversating with strangers while we enjoy our cigarettes. I love smoking with my bandmates while we write songs and bullshit. I just dislike being hooked on them, wish I could be like those people I know who just puff one when the situation calls for it. I am driving around smoking and shit.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby lemur68 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:05 am

noise&light wrote:Filthy habit.

Wish I didn't enjoy it so much.

Quitting soon, though.

You started again?
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap